“Decent place, needs updating”

Redwoods Resort formerly known as Colonial Village Resort
Ranked #36 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Newton, Massachusetts
“Decent place, needs updating”
Reviewed 7 September 2010

The rooms are small and the beds take up almost all of the space. The furniture looks like it hasn't been replaced in 20 years, and the kitchen is even worse. The 20" TV they put in the living room can only be seen by a few people at a time. That said, the towels were great (although the bathroom was really small to accommodate up to 6 people) and fluffy, everything seemed clean, the pool was nice, and the location can't be beat. Only a 10 minute walk to the beach! Walls are pretty thin though and there was some weird banging noises outside our room. The indoor pool is a little too highly chlorinated as well- it hurt my eyes just being in the pool area. To be fair, it's probably really hard to keep up a place where people are tracking in sand on a daily basis, so I am impressed with the housekeeping services. We also liked the use of rowboats to get to the beach at high tide. So, not the nicest place, but definitely adequate for a family vacation.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Freya H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
CT
Reviewed 5 September 2010

If you want to visit Ogunquit, or any other right-near-a-major-beach-area,
accommodations are going to cost plenty. My husband and I have been going there for over 20 years now, and Colonial Village is the best value for what they offer. We love the fact that they offer an efficiency room with a 4-burner stovetop, a microwave, and a full-sized fridge. The decor is not the most contemporary, but that's no big deal--we go to Ogunquit for the beach, not a fancy room. Don't believe some of the reviews that say the rooms are "musty"--ours was always very clean, and the housekeeping staff did a great job! The office staff are also great people, very friendly and cordial. If there is any problem, they address it immediately. Our only complaint is the mattress are very firm, because we're spoiled with our pillow-top mattress at home.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ILOVECTANDNH
Barrington RI
Reviewed 22 July 2010

My wife and I spent one night in this resort to see the show at the Ogonquit Playhouse. We were very disappointed with the place. The air condition is too noisy, bed is hard as rock, window blind does not close completely, breakfast is skimpy and no internet (although the ad said that it is free. The electronic key does not work.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Ogunquit hotels

Moonachie, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I have been staying here every year for years with my family when I was younger and now with my husband. We absolutely love it there. Indoor and outdoor pools are great. There has always been an indoor jacuzzi and they recently added the outdoor jacuzzi, which is great at night when it's a little chilly out. In the daytime you can see the beautiful view of the ocean from the pool. Breakfast is usually doughnuts and cereal. There is a great breakfast place across the street that is very inexpensive and I look forward to every year. The trolley stop is also across the street to take you to any part of town. The staff has always been friendly. You can walk or row across to the beach, which I think is private to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Stoughton
Reviewed 23 August 2009

We stayed in the chalet and were very pleased. One room has the sleeper sofa, wing back chair, TV, kitchen table and chairs, small refrigerator and microwave and the other room has the king size bed and with a door out to a little deck. The bathroom separates the two room with the toilet and shower on one size and the sink on the other. We really like this set up since it's nice to be able to move around without disturbing your spouse.

There are little things that could be done such as providing in room hair dryers and toiletries. Only soap is provided.

The pool and outdoor hot tub were lovely but keep in mind, this hotel is ideal for children and if you prefer adults only - you will be disappointed.

But we found it to be a great location since it was only about a 20 minute walk to town and was a great location to cycle from. Both Wells and Kennebunkport are close and had concerts.

We found the front desk staff incredibly nice and very responsive.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 September 2008

My husband and I decided to go to Maine for a little getaway on Aug 29 and 30. We wanted to stay in Ogunquit. I booked this hotel at the last moment , based on an ad in the Ogunquit travel guide. I was told over the phone that there were two rooms available for Friday and Saturday night of Labor day weekend. One was a smoking room and the other a honeymoon suite. I chose the honeymoon suite because it sonded like a nicer room. We arrived at the hotel and checked in. We were given a key and were told the room was near the indoor pool. We were shocked to see where the room was located, and the condition of the suite, when we opened the door. It smelled musty, the rug was old and dirty, the bed lumpy looking. Also we could hear a lot of road noise, and children playing above. I went right back to the front desk and asked for a refund. I was told by the young lady at the desk that we would have to speak to the manager. She gave us two keys to look at other rooms, that were not much better. The manager finally offered one of the cottages for only one night, because it was already booked for the next couple days. We checked out early the next morning. This resort is decieving in its ad. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank jtran1210
daughterofthesea, Assistant Manager at Redwoods Resort formerly known as Colonial Village Resort, responded to this review, 15 October 2008
Guest input is very valuable to us. We are so sorry that we didn't meet this guest's expectations.

We are not deceptive in our advertising. We have no need to deceive anyone into trying us. We are called a resort and have been for more than 30 years because we have various recreational opportunities for our guests such as Indoor/Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs, Game Room with pool table and video games, Tennis Court, Rowboats, as well as use of our dock on the Tidal River if you have your own watercraft.

If you are thinking of "resort" as in "5-star-all-inclusive", that is not us at all and we never claim to be such.

As far as that specific room, the exact location, description, and pictures of the interior are represented on our website. I remember that it was a pretty quick conversation, to make their reservation, and I clearly described the room as our Style 1 Honeymoon Suite so that she could freely look on our website to see what and where it was. I'm sure if the guest had inquired about the location we would have happily told her; that is a very popular room and we have nothing to hide.

The carpet is 2 years old and it is not dirty, but has a few quarter-size stains which remain despite the fact that we have shampooed the carpet many times this season to try to tackle them. As far as the complaint about mustiness, we have in fact checked and double-checked that room and the fact is that any coastal area is humid and since the windows in that building are very energy-efficient, when the room is all closed up tight prior to use, someone with special sensitivities may think it is musty while the average person will not notice a thing. We have deep-cleaned the room as a result of this particular complaint.

For this guest we did give them a cottage at the same price as the smaller room, and we also did not obligate them to stay since they weren't happy, despite our standard policy of no refunds for early departure.
Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 August 2008

We were to stay for two nights. The first night we found blood stains on the sleeper sofa and could not / would not sleep on it. ... The second night we woke up at 2am with BED BUGS crawling on us. We were all HORRIFIED!!!!! We threw all of our belongings on the top of our car and had to wait until 7am before we could get a hold of any manager. Then, the manager had the audacity to say that we would only be refunded for one night. He also made us wait another hour before he would get someone to look at the room. Our room number was 108 in the suites. I recommend that you do NOT go to this "resort".......

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank BEDBUGHELL
We are very sorry for their unfortunate stay at our establishment. Please know that we have never had an incident such as this in my entire employment, which began in 1995. I have literally not seen a bedbug in Maine, or in my life at all. As soon as I got into work the next day I heard of the situation and immediately I made sure that they hadn’t been charged a penny. I was sad to find that I wouldn’t be able to speak with them face to face because I have complete empathy; it must have been horrible. We took immediate action to dispose of the affected materials and to exterminate the problem. Since we ourselves were so horrified, we actually have kept the room totally out of use for the whole rest of the season since their stay, despite the fact that there has been no trace whatsoever. Keeping the room unavailable for rental has lost us quite a bit of money but we would certainly rather lose money than have any of our guests ever have to go through what they went through.

After researching the latest news on the Internet, we know that there have been an increasing number of cases of bedbugs in Mass. and NY and those states are where the greater portion of our clientele come from. There are also articles on the web about having trouble with these little guys in dormitories at colleges lately.

The good news is that bedbugs and bedbug eggs die when they are exposed to cold for too long and those buildings are completely winterized and shut down every year so with no heat, if there is even a lingering egg, it will die. We deep clean all the rooms when we open and when we close, and we will pay even more attention than usual because of this incident.

In conclusion, we are good people who want guests to be happy and comfortable; this is an isolated incident, and we took care of the situation immediately. I wrote the guest a heartfelt letter of apology, and while I don’t expect that they will be back, we would love the chance to show them that we are a clean, hospitable establishment and that staying here is usually very pleasant.