“Hot tubs/pool are highlight”

The Anchorage By the Sea
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Was surprised there was a parking lot between the 1st floor room and the ocean view. Free coffee, but styro cups are small, coffee gone before back to the room. Bathroom was surprisingly clean/updated. Taking wall hangings in room down, would update room. Room wasnt ready at 1:30, we were very tired. Hot tubs were nice/clean at night once the crowds cleared out. Three hot tubs/2 pools and one waterfall tub makes a great place for the kids. The front desk/staff is very pleasant. No direct access to water from property, must walk to town and then across bridge. Very nice overall. Lawn chairs are moved appropriately for pool the to lawn for sunset viewing. Gazebos provide nice place to eat take out and enjoy the view.

Room Tip: Second floor provides better view of ocean over the parking lots
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank dsajill
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Dear dsajill,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We appreciate your comments. I am happy to hear you had a pleasant stay with us.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We take our guests' reviews very seriously and are always looking for ways to improve. It is so nice to hear you found our front desk staff to be friendly. Customer service is important to us and they work hard at their jobs. I would also like to thank you for the wonderful compliments about our pools. We recently renovated the larger outdoor pool and it's good to hear our guests are enjoying it.

Please come back and visit us again soon. We're open year round! Enjoy your summer!

Warm Regards,

There are newer reviews for The Anchorage By the Sea

Reviewed 15 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Anchorage for two nights in July. We had not been there before but had read other reviews and thought it would be a great place to stay. We were very happy with everything. Once you park your car there is no need to get back in it. Everything is within walking distance. We ate at a few good places and also had some good meals at the hotel. We would highly recommend Anchorage by the Sea.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank can37

Dear Can37,

Thank you for your kind review here on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your feedback. I am so happy you enjoyed your two night stay with us this July.

Thank you for all your kind compliments. It is wonderful to hear you never needed your car during your stay. That is a comment we often hear from our guests. I am also happy to hear you enjoyed your meals at our Surf Point Grill. The chef works hard down there and it's so wonderful to hear some good feedback.

I would like to thank you again for your great recommendation. Please come visit us again on a future trip. We would love to welcome you back! Have a great rest of the summer!

Reviewed 14 July 2012

This hotel is my dream hotel. When My mother and I checked in the everyone wasn't mean to us they did seem a bit spacey I don't know why I couldn't stop staring at the ocean! The ocean was right there! I mean right there! I still can not get over that the ocean was a WALK away yea it wasn't connected to the beach but that was actually really good because when the beach was crouded we could spot out good spots from a high hill.
And Marginal way! Oh wow very nice walk indeed!!!! Amazing that the hotel was right near it so nice. Had a little gate after the pools, took a while to find the gate to get in but was totally amazing can not get over how nice of a walk it was and didn't even feel like a hike or any strenious exercise!
My only complaint is that the crib that I recieved for my one year old was a (rusty) metal bar crib with a drop side and a 3 inch mattress. Wiped down the metal bars with a baby wipe and the wipe was torn up and completely black when I was done cleaning it. Ew. Very ew. Will not stay here again with my daughter. Maybe when she is old enough for a kid bed but not using a crib here ever again.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Scott R
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Dear Scott R,

Thank you so much for your feedback here on TripAdvisor. I am happy we were able to accommodate you on your recent trip to Ogunquit.

That is such a wonderful compliment to be called "a dream hotel." Thank you very much! I am so happy you were excited about our great location. We are certainly fortunate to have such a perfect spot. I am also happy to hear you were able to enjoy the Marginal Way on your visit. It is a beautiful walk. It is great to hear you were able to scout out your perfect beach spot from our property! Good tip!

I would like to extend a sincere apology for the crib you received. We do clean when needed. However, they don't get much use as guests normally prefer to bring their own pack and plays. I will certainly look into the situation though to be sure a similar incident does not happen again. Thank you for the feedback.

Again thank you for visiting with us at the Anchorage. We greatly appreciate your patronage and do hope you come stay with us again in the future. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Expensive for a non ocean view hotel. One mirror in bath is not enough considering the sink in main room. Thin towels. Parking is difficult , few spaces.pool area is overcrowded. Average rating.

Stayed: July 2012

Dear mjmae,

Thank you for your feedback here on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your recent visit with us. We do appreciate your business.

You are correct in saying the Garden House rooms are a non-ocean view location. They are slightly larger rooms that have been recently renovated behind our Towers building. Some of them are suite style and offer small kitchenettes. However, the Anchorage By the Sea is indeed considered an ocean view hotel. In fact many of our rooms offer ocean and beach views. Our reservation agents always describe the specific view each room offers when speaking with potential guests.

We do provide complimentary parking for one car per room during guests' stay. In the summer we are very busy and do accommodate many families at our property. Our pool area can be a busy spot as every guest wishes to enjoy the resort while on their vacation, especially poolside. We do work hard to make sure the pool is enjoyed by Anchorage guests only.

Again thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate your business and for choosing the Anchorage on your trip to Ogunquit. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

My wife and I decided to just get away from the grind this week and began to look for availability Wed thru Friday. We prefer the resort type accommodations and happened upon the Anchorage on TripAdvisor. What a nice place. We stayed across the street in the Lighthouse building. Large room, fireplace, quiet with a newer feeling. Just a two minute walk across the street to the pool area. They don't have a beach as they are on a rocky bluff that overlooks the Ogunquit beach. Lush grassy areas, comfortable chairs ( loungers and adirondack ) scattered around the gazebos overlooking the beach and ocean that are spread out below the rocks. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner can be had pool side, a full bar is also available. The only downside to the room were the fourth rate towels you had to use in the bath. Real cheap, especially since every other aspect of the resort was one of the nicest we've experienced. Overall... A great place that we look forward to returning to.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear RandySuzanne,

Thank you for your feedback here on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to accommodate you.

Thank you for your kind words about our grounds and amenities I am also pleased to hear you were happy with your room in our Lightship building. As you mentioned, that particular location is popular with our guests as it is more quiet and the rooms are slightly larger. I do apologize you were unhappy with the towels in the room. Thank you for your feedback.

It is wonderful to hear you will be returning to stay with us again in the future! We look forward to welcoming you back on another trip. I hope you have a wonderful rest of the summer!

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Be careful what you are choosing with this location. Many of the rooms claim ocean viewing, but the truth is that you can see the ocean from OUTSIDE your room. There are limited rooms with an actual ocean view as stated. Also the quality of the room was not what was expected. The bathroom was falling apart and the shower water handle didn't work properly. The place was adequately clean, but had much more of a motel feel to it than a resort. There was a pool which looked nice but it was always very crowded.

The Marginal Way is gorgeous and the beach is nice. The weather was perfect the whole time we were there with a nice breeze and not a drop of rain.

All in all - Ogunquit is a great little place to visit; Anchorage is not somewhere I will be a repeat customer.

Room Tip: Don't expect an ocean view. It's not worth the extra $100/night (during peak season) to att...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank evan l

Dear evan I,

It is with our apologies to respond to your review here on TripAdvisor. We do appreciate your business.

Something we spend a great deal of time on in training our reservation agents is how to describe the room views to potential guests. We never try to deceive our guests into thinking they are getting something they are not. Please let us assure you on this. We are sorry you did got get the ocean view you wanted. Our direct ocean view rooms do sell out fast as they are one of the most popular locations on our property.

We are also sorry you were unhappy with the bathroom in your room. They have been recently renovated. We seldom hear complaints about them. If there was a problem with your shower handle we would have been more than happy to fix it had you let us know. We have staff on 24/7 for the comfort of our guests. However, we cannot fix a problem we don't know exists.

We are disappointed that our hotel did not meet your expectations for your recent stay but again would like to thank you for your feedback. We do hope you find accommodations for future visits that better suit your needs.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

We have been coming to Ogunquit for years. We have stayed at numerous resorts, and recently at Juniper Hill, which was very nice with a bit of a walk to the beach. This time we decided to "kick it up a notch" and try the Anchorage in July 2011, for the view and proximity to the marginal way. The good news-yes the grounds are well manicured, clean, and the view is terrific. We stayed across the street, and those rooms are definitely small, but clean. But everyone in the resort business KNOWS that the key to a good experience depends more on how you are treated than what the view is out the window, and the front desk is the main connection between you and the establishment. We have rarely EVER had to wait until 3 to check in anywhere, the majority of the time rooms are ready hours ahead, so we showed up at 1:00 on that chance. We were told come back in an hour. No prob. 2:00-Not yet. 3:00-not yet, but you can use the facilities-how do I do that with all my luggage in my trunk? Anyway,4:00-NOT YET, when we said we thought check in was supposed to be 3:00 we were told, word for word "well you wouldn't want to be put in a dirty room, would you?" REALLY???!! At 4:30 the room was finally ready! When we explained we just paid 1 and a half hours for a room we couldn't use and asked if there was any compensation he told us "SORRY", and that was that. To further our impression we asked if there was an ATM up the street he just said "I don't know" and continued the paperwork. Not "I don't know but I will find out for you, just-"I don't know". Worst desk manners I have ever encountered, and we dealt with two of them for our ordeal. The outdoor staff WAS pleasant and helpful. The cold curmudgeons behind the front desk should take a lesson in manners from the young staff outside. Obviously the resort does not need to change this since there are plenty of people with the same complaints willing to endure the attitudes to get the view. What makes Disneyworld work is how you are treated, not just a nice visa. This year we are staying at Sea Chambers-the desk staff over there cares about people.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank samuraiparkflyer
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Dear samuraiparkflyer,

We are sorry to hear your stay with us over a year ago was not to your liking.

We would like to point out it was your personal choice to arrive early. Check in is after 3pm as clearly stated on all confirmations. Guests are also always advised this when making their reservations. We do offer complimentary parking and use of our facilities as soon as guests arrive. Rooms are usually ready soon after 3pm however we are a rather large resort consisting of 241 rooms. Sometimes it may take a little longer. It is doubtful that your room was not ready until 4:30pm but as your stay was over a year ago and we have no record of who you are, we cannot verify this with our computer records.

Our desk staff are well versed on ATM bank locations as we are sure you are as well since you have been coming to Ogunquit for years. As you can see from recent reviews we have received, most guests find our front desk staff to be very helpful and courteous.

Again we are sorry you were unhappy with your stay with us. We do appreciate your business. We wish you the best on your future travels.

Best Regards,