We have just completed our 12th year visiting for a week each summer with the family. Over the years, they have made steady improvements, but the facility still remains a glorified motel. Add to this the $325 per night (high season), and it really doesn't seem to be worth the money- but the kids love it. What it does have is location, location, location. It is right on Marginal Way, a short walk to the beaches or a wonderful walk along Marginal Way to Perkin's Cove.
I can say the many of the employees, a number who have been there as long as we have been going, are not exceptionally polite, but rather blunt- I guess over the years I have just gotten use to it. I don't think they are being rude, just being independent Mainers. For those looking to travel during July/August, and looking for the quiet resort, this is not it- go to the Beachmere. The Anchorage is not the Romantic getaway (although during the Fall offseason it is). It can be rather noisy, with over 200 rooms contained on a relatively small site, and most of the rooms filled with families. The kids like the facility, don't mind the noise, and like to pools and hubbub. When they were young, it was nice to have the indoor pool during poor weather.
Bottom line, if you are looking for the 4 star service the price would appear to demand, look elsewhere. If you understand you are at the beach at high season and paying a premium for a family locale, go for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ogunquit’s most renowned, year-round oceanfront resort is The Anchorage By the Sea. The sea’s spectacular beauty is the focal point from most anywhere on the grounds. Located in the heart of Ogunquit, everything you could want in a complete vacation resort is right outside your door. Beautifully decorated rooms opening onto unforgettable views of the ocean are only the beginning. Open year-round, all rooms are smoke-free, offer free WIFI and have a small refrigerator. Other Anchorage amenities include hot tubs, indoor and outdoor pools, saunas and poolside bar and grill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your The Anchorage By the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Anchorage By The Sea Hotel Ogunquit
- The Anchorage By Sea
- Anchorage By The Sea Ogunquit
- The Anchorage By The Sea Ogunquit, Maine