“The peaceful sound of the waves!!”

Waves Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Farmington, New York
“The peaceful sound of the waves!!”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We were in Maine for a 80th Birthday party. We chose the Waves as she had stayed their many years ago and was very pleased. We were very happy with our choice. We were able to hear the waves in the evening and that is such a great thing. But the train did come through very early in the AM. and it was very loud!! The room was dated. It was the way we remember as a kid going on vacation and staying in a hotel. It was so nice to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view. With the bathroom in the middle of the room it would be a great room for a family. It also had a small kitchen unit. It was wonderful to have cold drinks by having a fridge in the room.The bed was so comfortable. When I made the reservation I was told that the mattress were new. When we came back to the Waves after the Birthday party around 11:30PM, the parking was filled, the office staff was willing without hesitation to get a spot in one of the garages for us. I would recommend staying at the Waves. It was really wonderful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank gail12013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Spent 2 nights in early September in an oceanview room with two double beds, separated by the bathroom. Bathroom is small and cramped. For a short stay it's fine, beds were good and room has a small cooktop and fridge. For a longer stay, and with more than 2 people in the room, it would be too cramped. Staff are very nice, young people mostly. Gym is across the street and the diner associated with the motel is down the road a bit. Breakfast there was very good. Pool is small. Rooms which look onto courtyard/parking would probably be noisy.

The best things about this motel are its proximity to beach and the fact it is located at the far south/west end of the "strip" and is therefore more quiet. However, if you are staying anywhere along Grand Ave in Old Orchard beach, you will hear the trains, beginning at 6 am. One night there was a train at 2 am. So you'll be up early and can maximize your time at the seaside!

Room Tip: Building F oceanview rooms are at the quieter side of the complex.
Grand Case, St. Maarten-St. Martin
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed at the Wave resort for 3 nights at the end of August. It is located on the beach just west of the pier which is a great location. My room was called an ocean view and that's all you got was a distant view.The room was actually on the street and from the balcony you could see the ocean. Parent beware the railing on the balcony is very low and unstable. The room looked like it was last updated in the 1980's. Very tired looking room with a very dirty carpet.
I did enjoy the little coffee shop down stairs, very friendly staff and a great breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mcsubman
Hartwick, New York
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My husband and I just got back from 5 days at Waves Oceanfront Resort. Most stores and restaurants and also the amusement park and things to do on the pier were closed on Labor Day for the season and we got there the day after. We were in the Viking Building. The rooms were very nice and had a little kitchen in them. We had a nice deck to sit out on and watch what was going on. We were about a 10-minute walk from the pier, which we walked to every day. The first day we were there, there was something wrong with the air conditioner. It was hot there and my husband, who has emphysema, was having trouble breathing. He went over to the lobby and within a very short time maintenance had installed a brand new air conditioner and we were both able to breathe better. The staff at the front desk were very helpful. They were always helpful in assisting us with directions and any other thing we wanted to know. The housekeeping department was great. If we didn't need service in our room, they actually left a bag on the front doorknob with towels, toilet paper, kleenex, etc for us to use. We thought this was a great idea. The only thing that bothered us was the train that runs in back of the hotel at all hours, but we got used to this, too. All in all, for the price we paid, we definitely got our money's worth at Waves Oceanfront Resort.

Room Tip: Any room would be fine because we didn't see where any room had an actual ocean view.
2 Thank iggies
Epping, NH
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed with the family for 2 nights. Service was outstanding, pool and spa were both outstanding and speediness of cleaning service was great. Easy walk to food, fun and anything else you might need. We stayed in the "train suite" and the kids were off the top thrilled. Now the 1am and 3am freight trains weren't the best, but hey it's the train suite for a reason. We will definitely be back again!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Jfalkingham
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Stayed at Waves again as I was in town for the Rev3 Triathlon. Pretty much the same experience as last year (you can look up my past review if you wish). Waves is servicable as a decent place to stay. A small walk away from the main part of the beach so its not too rowdy.

Arrived around noon and this time, our room was ready so we were able to check in and get our keys. Stayed in building E this time (not sure why i changed from building F, as the response i got last time said they were replacing the mattresses and carpets in F! oh well). I did notice the mattresses were new (or at least newer) and much better than last time. But this room is pretty much the same as the one we had in building F. I chose a second floor room this time and noticed the stairwells and walkways are pretty narrow. Trying to navigate our luggage and my bike was a challenge. I didnt notice it as much last time, but the Amtrak train was much louder this time, perhaps we were closer in building E. But even in the middle of the night, the horn will blare and woke me up each time.

One thing- on the day I was leaving (Mon morning), I tried to get breakfast, to go, from their Beach Street Cafe. After waiting about 5 minutes from someone to even look in my direction, was advised that they were too busy and were not doing to go orders. That was a huge let down.

So, all in all, if i were to come back to OOB, Waves would likely be my choice, despite its "shortcomings".

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Corydon, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 5 September 2013

It's funny how what seems to be random events, end up being synchronistic meetings with great people.
We stumbled upon Waves oceanfront resort in Old Orchard Beach ... just looking for some good off season deals ... The lobby was busy, and the general manager was working with staff when he noticed that I had not been helped ... he dropped everything and came up to greet me.
he offered me Excellent customer service...and provided us with different price points and options.
The facilities are SO CLEAN!!! the hot tub and mineral pool are beautiful and new. We were impressed as we walked through the halls to see staff on their own accord, wiping down walls and other surfaces that the average traveler would never touch. The staff seemed to work very thoughtfully and independently ... they took pride in their work. I was shocked, until I saw on Wednesday, the entire staff came together and were fed in a common area ... they were treated like family.
I was amazed.
After talking with the General Manager and complimenting him on this facility, I started to make sense. He indicated that the staff are students from all over the world and they take care of them very well, giving them a sense of ownership and pride.
Do yourself a favor, stay at WAVES ... support people who are doing the right thing and are committed to always giving their personal best.
you will be glad you did!

2 Thank daisiray175