“Love this place...”

Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Mechanic Falls, Maine
“Love this place...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

The owners are super nice. The rooms are clean. The location is perfect for my family and the kids love the indoor pool. This is the place we choose to stay each year because of the family atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Albany, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

This motel could use some upgrades. The bathroom wall was very thin and shook every time we closed the door. Some furniture was old and there were some minor repairs needed. However, the extremely friendly service is why I am giving the motel 4 stars rather than 3. It started with my online reservation - very shortly after making my reservation I received a personal message back from the owner asking about my needs. He actually lowered our rate from what I paid online when he learned that two people in our party were kids. Throughout our four days there, the staff helped us with many things and were generally always friendly and positive. The free popcorn was a nice touch. I think my kids made a meal out of it a couple of times!

We had a room with a separate bedroom, full kitchen and twin beds in the living room. The kitchen was roomy and well stocked with supplies. The beds were comfortable, although there was little room left to walk when the second twin (trundle) was pulled out. Our lower twin could not be raised much below floor level, which was fine for a kid, but might be a problem for an adult. Staff told me that most of their twins were capable of being raised higher.

The venetian blinds on the glass door let in a lot of light, and since the doors open onto a public area, the lights are on all night. If light disturbs you, bring a sleeping mask. The pool was nice, and it was covered, so it could be used in the rain. The water was cold when we were there, but other guests told us that it is closed and heated when the weather gets colder, so it can probably be used during the motel's entire season. The hot tub was deep and roomy. Our room was right in front of the pool and hot tub, and we saw the staff doing cleaning and maintenance on both several times a day.

There are picnic tables and grills in the common area, and people were often using them, which made for a nice community atmosphere. There seemed to be a number of parties that came with groups of friends, so there was some noise, but it always died down early.

The beach is right across the parking lot, and Old Orchard Beach is beautiful with continuous public access for a long way. The motel is also within easy walking distance of Palace Playland, the Pier and the other touristy areas.

The one improvement I would like to see is "do not disturb" signs for the doors. I guess most guests at this motel get an early start, and the cleaning started early. Our family has some slow starters, and we would have liked to have a sign so the cleaners didn't have to knock on our door when we were not all yet awake. One day we didn't even have our room cleaned (we OK'ed this, not the cleaners fault) because the staff was done for the day before my husband even woke up! Maybe they should have a backup plan for cleaning sleepyheads' rooms on days when the motel is not full and the cleaning staff gets sent home early.

Norwich, Vermont, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

This is the second time my husband and I chose to stay at this motel. We originally chose it because we came during off season when it was too cold to swim in the ocean, so we wanted a place that had an indoor swimming pool and hot tub. Last time we used and enjoyed both, this time, unfortunately, my schedule wouldn't allow it, as I was up in Maine to attend a conference in Portland. Still, the rooms are well equipped and comfortable. We had a queen and single bed in our rooms along with a kitchenette. The room overlooked the pool. All was kept clean in the hotel, and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The beach is a short walk down a boardwalk (that can use a little fixing up, but it's passable).
This visit we also had the benefit of receiving our third night free, which made it a great bargain, much cheaper than what I would have had to pay if staying right in Portland. Portland was an easy jaunt the two days I had to head there, and there are lots of restaurants and activities close by to make the area fun. We will return, and hopefully next time we'll have time to use the facilities more.

Room Tip: This is a family type motel, so there will be kids splashing in the pool, and some noise, but it was...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Toulouse, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Crest motel unfortunately only for a night which was a shame given that the hotel has direct access to the beach and is conveniently located close to shops and restaurants. Our room was on the ground floor with no real view but was very clean. The staff was very helpful and flexible. The place is very well suited for family with kids given the indoor pool and location.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Greenfield, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We recently spent a week at the Crest and had a great time. We are from western Mass. and have been coming to Old Orchard for the last few years, staying at various motels each time. The Crest is now at the top of our list. We stayed in the room facing the ocean and the view was fantastic. Our room was very clean and kept that way every day by a very courteous staff. We thank you all for a great vacation. C.Reum

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Waterville, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Rooms are comfortable, the beach is just steps away, and a hot tub for the cool breezy days. We really enjoy having an annual steak and lobster meal cooked on the outdoor grills and enjoyed on the picnic tables in the yard. Makes us feel like we're at our home away from home!

Room Tip: We have stayed in two of the doubles, the room with the hot tub, and one of the suites. All were ex...
boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

I try to be objective when writing a review. We stayed just 1 night. Would I have liked to stay longer...no. I know the accommodations at this destination look about the same....motel-lish. So, I don't expect much. Customer service from the Front Desk - delightful. The location on the beach - great. The condition of the property - so/so. They had a picnic/playground area which is nice for a family and the option to grill is a nice perk. Our room, I got the last one, which was probably the worse (I hope) needed a makeover. Interestingly enough, I was able to see some other rooms. Some had better furniture and flatscreen tvs, but some rooms were like ours. Room 215 was one of the better rooms. The beds were not good at all. My guy's back was bothering him the next day and I was tossing and turning because I really couldn't get comfortable. The big plus - The rooms were clean. I was impressed by the cleaniness of the bath. The reviews were right on-point with that.

Overall, its a place that is cool for a last minute, short term stay (2 nights). Depending on what's important to you...a great location or a comfortable bed. I would say...you should make that determination.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple