“Not so nice”

Sea Cliff House Motel
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed at the Sea Cliff in July 2013. We were in room 6 - this room is tiny - no room to even turn around. The furniture was well worn - there was only one outlet by the bed - you could not have the A/C, light, and clock all on at the same time. Many guests were sitting out in the parking lot - reminded me of an old trailer park. The location is good - just a short walk down the ramp to the beach and about .7 miles from the pier. Our balcony did have a partial ocean view - however, since it is not a private balcony, there seemed to be a constant parade of people walking past. Our nice and nephew enjoyed the pool. I believe if we had a larger room - things would have been better

Room Tip: Do not select room #6. Rooms #8 and 9 were larger and appeared nicer.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Fran P, Owner at Sea Cliff House Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

We take pride in the fact that the Sea Cliff House is a modern oceanfront motel with many comforts of home. We keep it well maintained, clean, and updated, to ensure that there is not anything old, worn, or in need of repair in any of our guest rooms or suites. Of course, if anything does require our attention, we want our guests to let us know right away, to enable repair or replacement in a timely manner with the least inconvenience. In addition, we are a family oriented and friendly establishment with several annual returning guests consisting of singles, couples, families, and friends who enjoy gathering and socializing with each other and other guests during their visits. Some gather at the pool and hot tub areas, at the dining tables on the lawn, on the private and public decks, and at the kitchenette building next to the parking lot. As long as our guests are considerate of one another and do not create any disturbances, we will never discourage our guests from friendly social gatherings. We are sorry that you were not happy with the size of your room during your stay. The next time that you are ready to visit, please let us know in advance and we will try to find an available guest room that is more suitable for your specific needs and preferences to ensure that you have the best vacation experience possible!

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I rarely write reviews on-line rather I refer friends and family to the places I love. But this time I'm compelled to write. My family and I have been staying at the Sea Cliff House Motel for over 20 years! We had stayed at many other place all over OOB and while many we're nice once we found the Sea Cliff House we have stayed. The rooms are always clean and the staff that maintains them are always pleasant, courteous and accommodating. The owner and his family who manage the day to day are welcoming and warm and make us feel like we are staying with friends. I highly recommend the Sea Cliff House to families. You will not be disappointed. You will find yourself far enough away from the "chaos" of the carnival but close enough to walk when you want to go. You are literally steps from the pool, spa and of course the 7 mile stretch of beach. Every year we go, there are updates to the property and it is very well maintained. The one thing that remains consistent is the excellent service and value that we receive every year!

Room Tip: Kitchenettes if you want to make basic meals, ocean front for incredible views and Grand Suite for f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2013

As a native Long Island New Yorker, I grew up accustomed to a variety of amazing beachfront properties in the world famous Hamptons. I did not know what to expect when I randomly selected the Sea Cliff Motel when planning a May birthday/Mothers Day weekend, 2012. I returned to this site to write about my amazing weekend as I am still smiling about it! First, we were greeted at the front office by a three family members, ( A young woman, her brother, and husband) who could not have been more wholesome or friendly, right out of central casting from the Disney channel. They made us feel welcome immediately and made great suggestions for things to do in town. I travelled with a colleague /friend,(we drove from Boston) and we each took one bedroom/kitchenette in the same location. Our rooms were immaculate, roomy and well laid out. The motel is conveniently located near the town. The clean expanse of beach went on forever in both directions. We had an amazing dinner at a charming restaurant in a converted schoolhouse nearby. I have recommended this charming jewel of a place to many friends and coworkers, two of whom have visited recently and thanked me for my recommendation.
I can't wait to treat my son and fiancé to this place for a romantic getaway early this fall.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lorraine R
Reviewed 3 July 2013

This was our third time staying at Sea Cliff and it was excellent again. We really have no complaints about this place. The staff is so friendly and helpful, they always take time to talk with the kids, and are great if you need directions or advice. It's right on the beach so you just have to walk over the dunes to get there, the pool is heated and there's also a hot tub. Great place, very affordable, we'll definately be back next year!

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I'm not sure what other bad reviewers are talking about here..We had nothing but a great enjoyable experience here...Our room was clean and smelt great and all the staff was friendly and very kind..They had no problem adjusting our rate since we had two kids 12 and under with us..I stayed here a before and will be back no doubt...loved it...:-)

Reviewed 26 June 2013

My friend and I brought my 12 year old niece and two of her friends here for a weekend getaway.

The problems started before I even arrived. The motel charged me $10 each extra for each child even though it states clearly on the website ages 12 and under stay for free. When I discussed this with staff they told me I was wrong and they would be charging me the extra amount. I called back before we arrived to see why the rule was not being honored for me. The staff person (with attitude) acknowledged that I was overcharged and refunded me.

When we arrived a young man came running into our room yelling that we had 3 kids and not two and accused us of not telling them of the third child (we had). Later I witnessed the same young man stating to other customers that they could "lose the attitude."

I checked out the next day as planned as I had to head back to Portland to work the next day. My friend and the three kids stayed the next night before heading hours back to New Hampshire.

When I was leaving the staff convinced me to keep the $100 security on my card because it would be a hassle to transfer it to my friend's card (who was paying for the next night). I was weary of this and informed her that I needed the money back into my account within the earlier promised 4 days. They assured me it would not take any longer to refund to my account since she would be checking out on Sunday and either way the transaction wouldn't be started until Monday. They printed me out a confirmation and highlighted that the refund would be going back into my account not my friend"s when she leaves.

Thursday, the fourth day, came and went and the money was not in the account. I called to check on the status, they informed me they refunded the money to the wrong account. I informed them that I needed the money in the account by today which was why I was so worried about letting them keep it in the first place. The "manager" I was talking to asked me if he could call me back.

I received a call from a woman who stated that there was nothing they could do for me and that I would just have to deal with trying to get the money back on my own. I explained that I am working 14 hour shifts the next few days and do not have time to take care of this and as it was their mistake I requested they help. The lady stated that she doesn't see why they should have to help me since I am friends with the person they gave my money to. I reiterated that she lives hours away, I needed the money in the account by this day and I do not have the time right now to work on this, not to mention it was not my mistake.

I asked to speak with the owner and she stated "I will tell MY father-in-law that you called and if he has time maybe he will get back to you."

Today is almost two weeks since our stay there and I have not gotten any return calls and I am still out $100. I highly suggest looking elsewhere before considering staying at this establishment.

12  Thank Melissa M
Fran P, Owner at Sea Cliff House Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

The Sea Cliff House Motel has been a family business for over thirty years with generations of satisfied customers returning annually. We take pride in the quality of our establishment and the customer service that we provide. We understand that operating a business within the hospitality industry is always a work in progress. Consequently, we continue to strive for better with regular maintenance and updates to successfully evolve and ensure customer satisfaction. We value the feedback that we receive from our clientele, because it gives us the opportunity to address any possible concerns or make necessary improvements.

However, we have a zero-tolerance policy for any type of vandalism to or on the Sea Cliff House Motel property or for any unlawful, violent, combative, or discriminatory behavior by any guests against other guests or staff. As a result of this policy and resistance to other documented policies and payment procedures ... our motel and certain staff members have become a target within a series of destructive and defamatory reviews. This is unfortunate and an abuse of the review process, because these types of retaliatory assertions are harmful to our success and do not accurately represent our business. However, we stand firmly behind all of our policies to preserve the tranquility of our guests. Further, we hope that the higher number of positive and legitimate reviews will outweigh the reviews posted by those with less than honorable intentions.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

This is the second year my boyfriend and I have come to stay at Sea Cliff House Motel. We stayed for an entire week (Sunday through Saturday) in Jacuzzi Room 2. Just like the first time we stayed, we LOVED the place. I really am baffled when I read through the reviews that talk about rude staff, since I have never encountered such an issue. The staff is nothing but pleasant, and they take really good care of you during your stay. It's a family-run business, and in my opinion they're good people who try to accommodate you as best they can.

If you read through my previous review from last year (2012), you can get more details and a better picture of what the rooms and location are like (awesome, of course!)

A little something extra to add....if you walk down the street (maybe like a 2 minute walk) there is a FABULOUS food place/convenience store called Tami Lynns Place. WOW, incredible people with incredible food/service. Definitely worth a look if you're staying at Sea Cliff, or even if you're not! I highly recommend it.

All in all, this is my favorite place to stay at in OOB, and will probably be the only place I will ever choose to stay at when visiting OOB! =) Love Sea Cliff House Motel!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple