“Be careful, massively overpriced”

Alouette Beach Resort
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
“Be careful, massively overpriced”
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

There is more than one property at this hotel. 1-brand new milliom dollar resort 2-1940's resort and 3-somekind of condo/cottages we could not
Find. We stayed in the original hotel. Good things-u r on the beach and the room was clean. End of good things. Here is the rest of the story-its a LONG walk to town if u r here for the boardwalk. The place is full of people who sit outside their rooms in groups drinking beer and lounging, which was a bit uncomfortable. There is no feeling of privacy. This place is old. All of the floors are seriously crooked, torn faded nylon rayon bedspreads, flat pillows, old furniture. The bathroom was clean but the sink it falling apart, the shower boards r seperating. The window airconditioner worked but its loud, it blows directly on ur face and smells vagely of something like cabbage or sewer (but outside air smelled fresh that is not the smell of the beach). This would all be reasonably acceptable for the beach access BUT its wayyyyy over priced. I have never been this disappointed with a hotel in my life.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Addileesa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Face it. OOB is not a luxury vacation destination. With miles of run-down hotels along Grand Ave, Alouette is probably on par with most - overpriced and outdated. The room we initially checked into was too small for 5 people, even though we told them the size of our party when we made reservations months ago. Room #29 had two burnt out lightbulbs, a frying pan big enough to cook one egg in, and 2-3 pieces of silverware - not exactly completely stocked. The clock needs a new battery. Little details like this should be spotted by housekeeping and attended to, but they aren't. Don't believe their website when it says "we even have cable Internet access upon request" - it isn't true. They have Wifi, and it is worthless. I had to call the hotel next door and ask them for their security code since I was planning on doing some work while here. Thank God for an employee named Gabe who upgraded us to an "apartment". We at least have more room and after going out and buying supplies, we have enough plastic silverware and paper plates to get by. The fridge barely keeps things cold. If it wasn't for Gabe I'd give this place only 2 stars. The location of the hotel is very good - just a short walk to the beach and no problems with parking so far. Plan on spending $ on ice. They will fill up a small ice bucket for you at the front desk for free, but bags of ice are $1.50. Again, this is Old Orchard Beach, a typical beach "resort" town with miles of beach shops that carry the same merchandise, greasy food, and an amusement park that costs $5 per person per ride. If you want luxury or even "excellent" you came to the wrong place.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you agree to take it
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ky05641
Blissfield, MI
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed here a few summers ago. The hotel was a hot mess. They have a cash cow here. This was probably the worst hotel on the beach, still quite pricey even though it was old and run down. Desk personnel unfriendly. Skip the whole town and go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank countryfan58
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed in the "brand new" king room, facing the ocean, steps away from the beach! Room was simply gorgeous with full ocean view, but more importanly immaculate, with outstanding friendly staff, especially by the owner Fred, who was more than accomodating!! The breakfasts were also a plus, not having to leave the hotel, and delicious!! We are very fussy, but I have to say we have found "our new favorite place in Maine".

Room Tip: New rooms facing the ocean were very quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank summer1341813
Montclair, Virginia
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

We have visited for several years and this family owned and operated motel just keeps getting better. It's a beach resort so we didn't expect fancy. However, if you can afford one, room in the newly constructed, multi-million dollar hotel literally right on the beach dune is spectacular. Three sides have ocean view balconies but are constructed such that all are private and shielded from view of the other balconies. Great design! The ground floor apartments open right to the dune and you can walk to the water about 300 feet away. The owners, Fred and Anne Kennedy along with an international staff of young folks keep everything running well.
A real gem; especially for the price!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank tmgtt
Chicago vicinity
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed for 4 nights. I was expecting a cabin/condo unit in their new addition but that building's construction was behind schedule. Instead we ended up in one of the older condos, probably built in the 30's or 40's. I was also expecting some sort of oceanview from our cabin, but had to stand in front of the unit oto see any water. Our front door was about 75 yards from the beach. Although the unit was dated in nearly every respect, it was comfortable and roomy. While the kitchen had a variety of utensils, there were only 4 plates, no pots. And no wi-fi.
While the rate was very reasonable for oceanfront condos, we were double charged for a couple nights. But the hotel caught the mistake before I noticed the problem. And the owner was very friendly and helpful.
The complimentry breakfast buffet didn't offer much, but the homemade muffins were very good.
I needed to use the on-site laundry facilities, but both washing machines were out of order.
The beach was nice (broad, clean, uncrowded at that time) but the town of Old Orchard Beach was a massive tourist trap, but several nearby towns offered better small New England town ambiance and it was a short drive into Portland.
All in all, I'd give the Aloutte another chance, but i'd insist on one of the brand new units.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BigTool
Douglas, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 June 2013

From the get go this trip was awful. We left from Mass too late and a 2.5hr trip turned into 4hrs with traffic. Then we get to the Neptune we are told by our team who we were staying with up there we had to go to the street to check in at the Allouette. I said great and went down to go check in. Then I go inside the lobby at the Alouette and they tell me that they overbooked the Neptune and they are putting us down at the Wind Song. The guy proceeds to tell me that the total still owed was 250$!!! Which was really wrong because the I had the hotel confirmation on my phone saying with only still owed 103$ and we were placed at the Neptune. I was beyond livid. He said it was a nicer room and it was on the beach. Well needless to say he was wrong. When we got into the room, which had a sliding glass door with one flimsy lock on it, looked liked I had gone back in time to 1970s. It had the old orange plastic bar stools, the old style lamps that don't light a room, and the really old brown brick counter tops. The only updated thing in the place was the bathroom and it sure looked like it didn't belong. It had granite shower and a marble pedal stool sink. The bathroom was the size of a small closet. And oh the kitchen, if that's what you want to call it. It had marble counter tops with a college fridge pulled out so that they could rest a Bunsen burner on top of it. This place was a mess. The beds were so old and so stiff. The queen in the room looked like a ship it bowed in the middle and squeaked so loud. I couldn't even take my allergy medicine while I was there for the weekend because I was afraid I wouldn't hear someone trying to break into our sliding door. The curtains on the slider were held together with safety pins because they either were too cheap to buy ones that fit or were just too lazy to care about it. Just awful. But i guess I can say that I'm happy we weren't at the Neptune. Our team wasn't able to sleep, the train couldn't have gone through enough during the night and blowing its horn every time. They had two bedrooms, one with a queen and another with two twins. Some rooms had 1st century microwaves, a large normal fridge and an old fashion small TV. Other rooms there had updated stuff and flat screens. It was like they update a couple rooms and gave up. This is a place where I will never stay again. NEVER. I've stayed down the street a few years ago at another motel (can't remember the name right now) and loved it. I had nothing to complain about and thought the same would happen with this place. Boy was I wrong. If you plan on booking here, BEWARE and Good Luck. You're going to need it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family