“Our summer vacation at OOB”

Alouette Beach Resort
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had a wonderful vacation over Labor Day weekend here. The suite was right on the beach just steps off our deck. Celebrating our anniversary their was special. They brought us Champaign to enjoy! what a thoughtful thing to do. The room was very clean and the bed was very "firm" so say the least . Needed a foam topper.We enjoyed having breakfast in the café. hated to leave and will certainly return!! The price for all this was certainly a little steep ($715.00) for three nights!!!... but compared to other rooms we looked at it was the best of them all so we decided to splurge. Next time I will check into coming after Labor Day when the rates drop. We walked to the Pier and did some shopping. It was pouring so hard on the morning we checked out and they ran outside to collect our keys so we didn't get wet! Again I must say that if you are going to stay there I recommend the newer suites.

Room Tip: We stayed in suite 106
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Alouette Beach Resort

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Based on reviews on Trip Advisor, I selected Alouette Beach Resort for Labor Day weekend. It was everything that others had said. Perfect! Fred checked us in and he was most pleasant and friendly. Everyone at the resort was so kind and welcoming. My husband and I were in room 102 (a suite in the "new" building) and our son and his girlfriend were next door in 103. These rooms opened onto beach and were splendid. There was a kitchenette with a microwave, 2 burners, fridge, coffee pot and toaster. The cabinets were ready with cups, dishes, glasses, plates & bowls, pots & pans, utensils and silverware. There was a nice flat screen hanging on the wall and 2 comfy chairs with a small round table; ample and comfortable space. The windows gave a lovely view of the ocean (front and side as 102 is a corner room). Our room had a California King (an extra-long bed was great since my husband is 6'6). Room 103 has a queen bed and actually is adjoining. On the patio deck outside of our room were 2 chairs and the area was semi-private with 5 foot walls on the side. The beach is clean and the water crisp and there were no surprise drop-offs or rocks. We strolled the beach several times morning and night. It is an easy stroll to the "center of the action" around the pier but I liked that we were far enough away in the quiet area (about a 10 minute walk which we considered our daily exercise either walking on the beach or the sidewalk). There is a lovely indoor pool on site and a breakfast area, too. The staff kept our room clean and tidy and they were so friendly. Parking is under this building so even though our room was on the 1st floor, we could use the elevator to bring up our suitcases. Everything was so close that we did not move the car once we arrived. I know they have many different types of accommodations but I didn't view any of those so I cannot speak to those but I saw where they were pet friendly in some rooms. Hubby and I were so extremely pleased with this place that we booked the same rooms for Labor Day weekend 2014 before we left and when we return we're bring 4 more rooms of family members with us. It was 3.5 hours from home for us and we loved the area surrounding OOB as it is very new to us.

Room Tip: Room 102 is a corner room so you get windows on 2 sides. Because of the parking in this building, y...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We have been going to OOB religiously (seriously, that salt water ocean is our Lourdes ... albeit a tacky toffee resort version) for the last five years and we do know what to expect. A cluster of salty shanties piled onto a parking lot on the ocean front, worn carpets, rooms that lack depth perception and relics from an era when a ladies attire included parasols.

But in recent years some of the properties have succumbed to HGTV-expectations and undergone motel makeovers. Suddenly countertops are granite, walls are painted "Deerstalker" and wainscotings are a thing.

I have a feeling parts of the Allouette may have this new look. The giant building backing onto the sand could feature some of this stuff. Last time I looked at that prime oceanfront spot it held two dinky clapboard cottages peering out over Saco Bay. Now there are three stories of carefully constructed seaview suites over a parking garage full of Lexuses/Lexi.

The rest of the complex is much more old school. They have had a lick of paint and new paintings hung. I even suspect the electrics may have been updated. There are new air conditioners in Building B and they seem to have about 75 wireless routers that interchangeably boast connectivity in a giant undulating dance in cannon...can be hard to keep up on words with friends but that just adds to the mid-century experience.

Building A looks like it is waiting for it's turn with the brush and the Mary Cottage has had new siding but I can't speak to the iniside having failed to befriend the occupants this time and embark on a sandy-footed tour complete with mugs of wine (so people can't tell your drinking wine shhhhh).

Building B's room are clean and small and if you can make it a week knee to chin with your own family for that long you probably deserve your own talk show...or not but that won't stop you ... knowing your type. The kids despise the indoor pool but there is access to an outdoor one just down the road.

Having a kitchenette is crucial in a resort town. There aren't any BBQs for guests like at other motels (*cough* Echo) but they do helpfully offer to make one for you for a mere few dollars.

Oh and the beds are hard. I felt as if I had curled up on the dinning room table and started awake at least as many times in the night as if I had...minus the clatter of cutlery and soup bowls.

But you can see the beautiful, beautiful ocean and hear the waves from your own room and that is, if not priceless, at least explanatory of their $215 per night price tag in high season. I paid it and so will others because we just don't want to stay at the Yellow Giraffe Motel off the ocean front....having said that I am horribly intrigued by what a NASCAR campsite might entail and they have one of those in town too.

But at the end of the day (literally) no matter how much design flare you are sporting inside the outside is the same and you can walk the seven mile sands or sit and watch a parade of girls YOLO jump in front of the life guard chair, check the pictures and do it again three times before everyone is satisfied, or stroll along the Avenues choking on the optimistic waves of aftershave the lads have laid on as lure, or just wander the beach looking for a hotel with the right balance of beachfront and budget.

3  Thank W00na
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We recently had a visit @ OOB and stayed at Alouette Beach Resort because of all the positive reviews it received. My family and I did not agree with the reviews based on our own experience. The only good thing about our stay was the room was literally on the beach and we were had a great view of the beach. Other than that the room was dirty, the bathroom had a stand up shower only(and if you have a 2 yr old then you will also find it difficult to bath them !). The two beds in the room were not straight so when you layed down your feet were above your head and you could roll off the bed. The first night there I did not sleep because I was worrying about electical fire because the sockets all were loaded with plugs from the ac and lights, oowwwwww let me remind you that in order for the tv to actually work, you had to plug and unplug it because you could not change the channels.

My final straw was when i went to get my morning coffee from the restaurant, I was told to get my own coffee at the station and when I did, the staff were huffing at me because I was in front of there station where they store the plates and cups. I was obviously in there way even though they told me to get my own coffee.

6  Thank Katrina B
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

There is more than one property at this hotel. 1-brand new milliom dollar resort 2-1940's resort and 3-somekind of condo/cottages we could not
Find. We stayed in the original hotel. Good things-u r on the beach and the room was clean. End of good things. Here is the rest of the story-its a LONG walk to town if u r here for the boardwalk. The place is full of people who sit outside their rooms in groups drinking beer and lounging, which was a bit uncomfortable. There is no feeling of privacy. This place is old. All of the floors are seriously crooked, torn faded nylon rayon bedspreads, flat pillows, old furniture. The bathroom was clean but the sink it falling apart, the shower boards r seperating. The window airconditioner worked but its loud, it blows directly on ur face and smells vagely of something like cabbage or sewer (but outside air smelled fresh that is not the smell of the beach). This would all be reasonably acceptable for the beach access BUT its wayyyyy over priced. I have never been this disappointed with a hotel in my life.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Addileesa
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Face it. OOB is not a luxury vacation destination. With miles of run-down hotels along Grand Ave, Alouette is probably on par with most - overpriced and outdated. The room we initially checked into was too small for 5 people, even though we told them the size of our party when we made reservations months ago. Room #29 had two burnt out lightbulbs, a frying pan big enough to cook one egg in, and 2-3 pieces of silverware - not exactly completely stocked. The clock needs a new battery. Little details like this should be spotted by housekeeping and attended to, but they aren't. Don't believe their website when it says "we even have cable Internet access upon request" - it isn't true. They have Wifi, and it is worthless. I had to call the hotel next door and ask them for their security code since I was planning on doing some work while here. Thank God for an employee named Gabe who upgraded us to an "apartment". We at least have more room and after going out and buying supplies, we have enough plastic silverware and paper plates to get by. The fridge barely keeps things cold. If it wasn't for Gabe I'd give this place only 2 stars. The location of the hotel is very good - just a short walk to the beach and no problems with parking so far. Plan on spending $ on ice. They will fill up a small ice bucket for you at the front desk for free, but bags of ice are $1.50. Again, this is Old Orchard Beach, a typical beach "resort" town with miles of beach shops that carry the same merchandise, greasy food, and an amusement park that costs $5 per person per ride. If you want luxury or even "excellent" you came to the wrong place.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you agree to take it
3  Thank ky05641
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed here a few summers ago. The hotel was a hot mess. They have a cash cow here. This was probably the worst hotel on the beach, still quite pricey even though it was old and run down. Desk personnel unfriendly. Skip the whole town and go elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family