“Location, location, location!”

Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Plainville, Connecticut
“Location, location, location!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for Memorial Day weekend. It was our first trip to Maine and Old Orchard Beach. Before selecting the Alouette we did our homework, checking multiple sites and scouring through reviews before settling on a place. The Alouette as seen on the internet is NOT what you get when you arrive. There are 2 sets of buildings here, the new beach facing suites and the old prison like dated rooms. The descriptions and glowing reviews from other posters are all coming from people who have stayed in suites in the new building. This is also what is widely depicted on the internet. The rest of the rooms are old, the beds are uncomfortable, the bathrooms are tiny, the linens are worn and the lighting is just plain bad. On most vacations you end up out of the hotel all day doing various things, but on this trip my wife and I are looking for things to do that will keep us out of the room. The only positive thing I have to say is the hotel is near the beach and is walking distance to the pier.

4 Thank Wahid C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

After reading the glowing reviews of others, we wondered if we were staying in the same place. The room appeared to be clean but the coffee maker/ carafe and refrig were gross. The room was dated; dimly lit; looked like a throwback to the 1950's. Needs paint and new carpets. The A/C was a noisy window-type unit. The green velour blanket had holes in it that were patched with thread. Wifi did not function; no phone to call front desk. Outdoor pool was well maintained. An Amtrak train across the street blows it's whistle all day but it did not disturb our sleep. Unless you are staying in their "new" suite bldg, forget this place- it was not worth the approx 250/night.

8 Thank Nowad
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

We used to stay to the right of the pier but decided to take a chance on the Alouette Beach Resort. Smiles all around. We hadn't been to OOB in 12 years, and nothing has changed. People who love OOB, love OOB, and many of the people you meet here have been coming for years if not decades or generations. We brought our kids for the ocean and pier, and they are the fourth generation on my wife's side to do so.

Let me say, the new building is wonderful. The rooms are spacious and contemporary. We stayed in a suite with a side-view of the ocean, two bedrooms (one murphy bed, a pull out bed, and a king size bed). The showers had weird futuristic handles that took a minute to understand, but the hot water ran forever. The cleaning staff was wonderful - I have to point out, we had dirty dishes in our sink and they actually cleaned them. I felt terrible about that, but also very surprised. There is an indoor pool which isn't heated but isn't freezing. There is also an outdoor pool outside one of their other buildings next door. We skipped the outdoor pool.

The hotel is probably a ten minute walk to the pier (fifteen on the beach), which is nice because you avoid all the commotion, traffic and pier noise – especially at night. There is a variety store just down the street on the opposite side, but I'd avoid it for groceries because it charges tourist prices.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

vERY HOT aRIZONA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We drove to Old Orchard Beach to check it out and just spend the day. We ended up have a great day and decided to have a few drinks and which time we started looking for a place to stay. This was a great location. Everyone there was friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and for last minute we did not regret our choice :) About 10pm we grab a slice of pizza and a six pack and headed to the beach with our towels. it was right down the walkway and again we could not have been more pleased with our choice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunshiney71
Lewiston, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Windsong, 12. It was perfect for my husband & I & our 3yo. Queen & daybed/twin. Yes. Tiny room OOB style which means outdated & some would say rundown if they don't understand the OOB way. That is, your room is to sleep, not to hang out in.
From our porch, we had an ocean view (not direct) There is a pool out of the ocean breeze.
I give extra kudos to our maid. She was super friendly & went the extra mile.

Stayed August 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We bring our family every year and have been for several years now. Found it by chance online!!! We love it here. Far enough away from the pier to have a less crowded beach but close enough for an easy walk! We love our beachfront room and have our children and grandchildren in a 3 bdrm apartment in the building just behind us! Already made our 2015 summer reservations. We also came this past February for a valentines special weekend and that was fabulous as well!!! Thanks Fred and Ann and staff! Keep up the good work!

Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my first trip to Old Orchard Beach with my family and another family. Stayed 2 nights. The Alouette was not our first choice but it was where we could get two rooms only in the "old" section.
Location: Right on the beach and the beach was a lot less crowded then down by the pier. Proximity to pier was great, probably about a 15 min walk.. doable with the kids. Great location.

Room: DATED. I expected it would not be in wonderful shape from reading other reviews on Trip advisor, but Wow.. I felt like I was in the 50's. Extremely dated bed spreads, furniture, rug, bathroom tiny and old. Linens on beds and towels awful. I've traveled a lot and this was the first time I woke up with back and shoulder pain. I will say that the room appeared clean and it was nice to have a refrigerator. Wifi spotty. For the amount of money we spent on this room I would have expected something nicer. I'm surprised that the owners don't spend a little bit of money to update these rooms a bit. I would have loved to have seen the new updated suites.

Pool: Indoor pool, small but the kids enjoyed it.

Overall For the money I spent and the condition of the furnishings I can't give this more than a fair. Again.. great location.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family