“Had a great time here.”

Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
New Haven, Connecticut
“Had a great time here.”
Reviewed 30 May 2009

We've vacationed in OOB in the spring and fall for about 8 years now. This was our first stay at Alouette. I read where they accepted dogs so we decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed. The owners were very friendly and inviting. I had read reviews on Trip Advisor and viewed the website. We decided to go up for 3 nights to check it out before booking for a longer stay in October.
We had room 30 and we were happy with it. It was as pictured and was clean. I read a negative review regarding the bathrooms. Ours was indeed tiny but we did not find that to be a problem. Basically it had a toilet and shower stall and that was it. Yes, the sink was outside of the bathroom along the wall. It is petitioned off from the kitchen area. Again, we did not have a problem with this setup. I was concerned at first that there was one sink in the kitchen area when first reading reviews but this was not the case. There are 2 separate sinks. Kitchen area was fine. Full size fridge, good sized microwave and a 2 burner stove, toaster and coffee maker.
The grounds were spacious and well kept. The beach is literally a stones throw away. The section we were in was in the back and you face a stockade fence but you still have a side view of the ocean. Also a great setup for walking the dog. We actually enjoyed the privacy this location provided. It is a very short walk to the beach and Old Orchard Beach has always been my favorite. It is gorgeous. The added bonus here at Alouette is the indoor pool. Very nice. Also a small cafe on the premises.
Of the beach front motels we have been to this is our favorite. Again, I don't know what people expect from a beach front motel. We travel in the off season and with our dog. We could not ask for more for $59.00 a night plus $7.50 for the dog. For my money worth every penny. We had a great time and have already booked for 10 nights in October.
Thank you Fred and Anne Kennedy for providing such a nice spot.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Springfield, Vermont
Reviewed 26 April 2009

My wife and I, along with our two Dalmatians, spent a couple of days here and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. A small but well-appointed room, complete with kitchenette and housekeeping service, greeted us upon our arrival. Being the off-season, the price was affordable and the proximity to the beach made it easy to get right into the spirit of the seacoast. A continental breakfast and indoor pool were included in the price but the real bonus for us was the welcoming of our pets. So many of the facilities do not accept pets and that was the deal breaker for us. We enjoyed our stay and would certainly book the Alouette the next time we vacation in Old Orchard Beach. We recommend that pet owners who include their forever friends in their vacation plans consider the Alouette Beach Resort.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Rowe, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 November 2008

For the last two summers, we have spent a week in August at the Beach Walk, which is owned by Fred and Anne Kennedy, who also own the Alouette Beach Resort. What first attracted us to their Resort was the fact they are one of the few places left on Old Orchard Beach that allows dogs. As our children are now grown, our dog has become a very important part of the family. During the "busy" season, dogs are not allowed on the beach during the day between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m, but our Halo didn't mind because there was a large sliding glass door in our room she could look out and see all the activity going on. We enjoyed the beach all day long, but at 5 p.m., the dog had her fun. In fact, Halo had such a great time there, when we went home after that wonderful week, she went straight to her crate and mourned for three days. I have always said I wanted to go back to the beach for a weekend in the fall, and finally persisted this year. I called for reservations the week before and spoke with Fred, the owner, who told me he would put us up at the Alouette for the last weekend of the season. When we arrived, check-in was a breeze (with Mary Beth, whom we have checked-in at the Beach Walk for the past two summers), and we were given a newly remodeled room that was so clean and modernized. Being the "off" season, I think this weekend was one of the best we've ever had. Halo was able to be on the beach all day long and met lots of new friends. How relaxing to just walk the beach all day long! Our room was within a few feet of the best beach in New England! Breakfast every morning at the little cafe at the Resort was so conveniently located and I can definately recommend the blueberry pancakes! We were treated like royalty by all the staff from the moment we arrived and our friend, Susan, whom we had met at the Beach Walk, was there once again to take very good care of us! I left that Sunday morning with tears in my eyes. I only wish they were open all winter long too! We will definately be back again next summer and hopefully for another weekend next fall! After we checked out, we drove further down the beach to let the dog have one last run on the sand. A couple in a vehicle stopped to ask us if we knew of any "pet friendly" motels in the area. I gave them directions to the Alouette and I'm sure they had as great a time there as we did! Thank you to all the staff and the owners of the Alouette and Beach Walk for such wonderful memories!

• Liked — Friendliness of staff and PET FRIENDLY! Closeby to entertainment venues, yet quiet!
  • Disliked — That I had to go home and back to work!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 9 October 2008

I'm not one to require 4 or 5 star lodging facilities, in fact I can do perfectly well in a Motel 6 or Red Roof Inn, but the Alouette was below even my standards.

I found the Alouette on the Internet and thought it looked rather quaint. As a graphic designer I should have known better than to trust the photos at face value, but I thought how far off from the truth could they be? Folks, they are WAY off, so much that my friends and I choose "deception" as the word of the weekend.

The couch in our original* room was so filthy, it looked like it'd been sitting by the side of the road in bad weather for several weeks. While the photo made it look like you could move around in the room, there was not an ounce of room to spare and we had a room w/2 separate sleeping areas. The private balcony was so small we could barely fit all 3 of us and we're not big people at all!

After 15 minutes in despair at what to do, we went back to the front desk and asked if a bigger room was available. The host graciously offered us another at no additional charge. Of course it was in the same price zone as the first so I wonder know how much of an offer this really was.

*The second room was definitely better suited to the number of people in our group but it was just as run down as the first. Just below our room was the utility area and ever time you opened the door to outside of the unit, all you could smell was an overwhelming myriad of chemicals.

There were 2 additional space heaters in the unit which we used since it was October. We had the 2 heaters on, the unit's primary heater and were watching TV. This overloaded the electrical circuitry and we blew a fuse losing power on one side of the unit, which included the refrigerator. A call to the front desk (which has it's own story) and someone came quickly and fixed the problem. We were told not to use the heaters at the same time, in addition to the microwave.. I'm no expert but if you offer these amenities shouldn't you be able to use them in conjunction with one another and not just separately?

The call to the front office took longer than it should because there were no instructions on or by the phone on how to contact them (or dial out for that matter).

There was some literature in the room for what to do but most was outdated. Additionally the water in the bathroom sink took FOREVER to heat up. Fortunately the shower was not as long although if you flushed the toilet while the shower was going the shower started to shake and make strange noises. There were stains on the floor by the refrigerator. Did something inside leak or was the appliance rusting from condensation? Either way, this probably could have been cleaned up.

Overall while the staff was courteous and the location was beach side, it couldn't make up for the shambles this place is in. I think the room prices are too high for the condition of the place. The moral of the story? Ask if the photos advertised are current. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask to have ones sent to you as well.

[NOTE: there is a sign in the lobby that says before officially checking in you can check your room to see if you like it. I wish I'd done that before giving my credit card..]

• Liked — My stay was short
  • Disliked — How run down it was
  • Stayed October 2008
5 Thank mytravelreviews
New Hampshjire
Reviewed 19 September 2008

For the last three years we have participated in a Parkinson's Ride for research for a cure, taking place at Old Orchard Beach.. The Alouette, in particular the owners Fred and Anne Kennedy, have made an extrordinary effort to support our cause. Their establishment has a family atmosphere, and the facilities are very nice. It has been a fantastic experience, and we will surely be back there next year. Many of the cyclists stay there as a group, and enjoy themselves immensely. The little restaurant
is quaint, and the breakfasts are delicous. Recommend the establishment to anyone looking for a nice time at the beach.

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere and helpful staff
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Peabody, MA
Reviewed 2 September 2008

We had stayed at the Alouette Beach Resort 4 summers in a row. We thought the location was great, the beach was clean and the veiw from the room was great. We stayed in unit 25 which is a large suite type room oceanfront. The rooms could be cleaner and the bathrooms could stand to be updated. The motel sets up a grill next to the beach and sells burgers and hot dogs from 11:30 to 1:00 - very dirty set up. Overall had a fun time but prices have gone up a lot in the past 5 years so we switched to a different hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — not worth the price increase
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 29 August 2008

As I was only going to stay in Old Orchard Beach for a day (this was part of a larger Maine trip) and I intended to spend most of that day out and about, I booked one of the cheapest rooms at the Alouette.

I didn't mind that the room didn't have a beach view. I didn't even mind that it was old and seemed a bit ramshackle (the front porch light was falling off, among other things). But what disturbed me was how filthy the room was. I've stayed in other establishments that were in shady areas or had hourly rates or had showerheads that were lower than my eyeballs but this particular room at the Alouette trumped those rooms in terms of discomfort.

The only area that seemed clean was the refrigerator and sink area. The bathroom was bad (there was no showerhead, for one) and the bed was absolutely terrible. I don't know if it was years' worth of dust or mold or whatever but you barely had to move the mattress to see how filthy it was. I barely got any sleep that night (which put a damper on the next leg of my trip). I would've been better served trying to sleep in my car.

Aside from that, I found the staff to be courteous, very helpful, and very friendly (and bilingual). For Old Orchard Beach and their beachfront location, their rates are good all-around. I would've given them a 4/5 rating if only the room had been clean. A room that is so dirty that you lose sleep over it can only deserve 1 out of 5 no matter how good all the other factors.

• Liked — Friendly staff, excellent beach location, reasonable price for location
  • Disliked — embarrassing lack of cleanliness in the room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SmokingPanda