The Edgewater
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Old Colonial Motel(Old Orchard Beach)
View Hotel
KebeK 3 Motel(Old Orchard Beach)
View Hotel
Sea View Inn(Old Orchard Beach)
View Hotel
Flagship Motel(Old Orchard Beach)
View Hotel
Inn at Soho Square(Old Orchard Beach)
  • Free Internet
Waves Oceanfront Resort(Old Orchard Beach)
View Hotel
The Beachwood(Old Orchard Beach)
View Hotel
Yellow Giraffe Motel(Old Orchard Beach)
  • Pool
All reviewssun deckocean frontgas fireplaceheated poolparking lotold orchardoff seasonshort walkamusement parkwithin walking distancenice roompalace playlandcorner roomsecond floorpier areafree coffeetwo double beds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I wanted to spend a long weekend last September, 2012, in Maine for our anniversary. Old Orchard Beach seemed the ideal location as we could go north or south and hit some great touristy spots. Having never stayed at The Edgewater, we had no idea what to expect... well, we were pleasantly surprised. The woman who greeted us at check-in was very friendly and proceeded to tell us that we had booked the best room in the hotel. I didn't know what to expect, but when we walked in to our room, I was so happy. We stayed on the second floor, oceanfront, king bed room. It was a corner room overlooking the beach and had windows on the front and side of the room. I immediately opened up all of the blinds and took in the spectacular views! The room was very clean with laminate wood floors and semi-comfy king bed with a charming white coverlet on it. The gas fireplace was actually wonderful to have for the chilly morning. The bathroom was awesome. It has a separate shower/toilet room and then where the sink is located is the garden tub jacuzzi. We loved it! I highly recommend this hotel.

We are scheduled to visit again this September and I am hoping to have the same room! I will update our review when we get back. I hope it's just as good as I remembered.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the oceanfront king room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Saratoga_Pixie
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed at the Edgewater for our family vacation this year. We were first greeted rudely by a staff lady in the miniature parking lot demanding to see our parking pass. She became sweet when I responded I'll show you one once we check in and you give me one. When making our reservation we were told by Pierre the GM that our stay would require that we change rooms for the last night but this last night would be an ocean front room. When the time came for our move we were moved from an upstairs parking lot view room to the room directly below. There was no recollection by the staff or Pierre himself of the previous arrangement. In fact they don't seem to have the computer skills to manipulate their guest stays to minimize movement as there was no sensible reason to have us move. My advice is this is a decent place but when making reservations make sure to get ALL of the arrangements in writing and make them stick to what they promise.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank 2fast4me
Pierre J, General Manager at The Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

We agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. Upon completing a phone reservation with a customer our policy is to always review the information for accuracy. Afterwards an e-mail confirmation is sent. Our records show that in fact we did those things. We are sorry if there were misunderstandings.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Just got back from 3 nights at The Edgewater. Our traveling circus consisted of 7 teenagers and 5 adults. We rented 3 standard rooms on the second floor quite near the street. We were very pleased. The location couldn't be any better - close to the madness, but far enough away to feel relaxing. We could (and did) walk everywhere which is a plus because parking is not that easy to come by.

First the positives:
1. Very clean. It is obvious that the owners have pride in this property. There were beautiful flowers everywhere. The rooms were freshly painted and well cared for. Housekeeping did a fabulous job, and all the employees were very friendly. Having walked many miles around Old Orchard Beach, I saw very few other motels that could live up to the standard set by The Edgewater.
2. The price was competitive - maybe a few more dollars than some of the clearly inferior motels in the area.
3. The Sundeck! Very relaxing. Great place for a cup of coffee in the morning or a cocktail at night.
4. Joseph's restaurant next door for breakfast. We ate there all three mornings. Ask to be seated in the outdoor area. Kind of reminiscent of Hawaii.
5. The beach - if you come to Old Orchard Beach, you want to be able to get to the beach easily. There were no streets to cross, and it was easy to return to your room to use the bathroom or get more drinks.
6. Laid back atmosphere. We felt very comfortable hanging out outside our rooms. Never felt like we were disturbing the other guests and never felt intruded on by anyone else.
7. The kids could come and go as they pleased. It really is a fabulous location for teens.
8. Very good coffee is available all day in the lobby.
9. The front deck personnel really know the area and give excellent advice about local attractions.

Now the negatives:
There aren't many, and they would never deter me from staying at the Edgewater again, but no place is perfect......
1. While they do look nice, the pedestal sinks outside of the bathrooms in the standard rooms are pretty much useless. When you are trying to live out of a suitcase, you need lots of space for toiletries, etc. There was a very narrow shelf (4 inches maybe?) above the sinks - maybe wide enough for toothpaste, but not very useful otherwise. There is plenty of room in the space for a nice big 2 sink vanity with lots of counter space, so it is kind of odd that they chose to install pedestal sinks.
2. A lot of people smoked while we were there. You are not supposed to smoke in the rooms, and ours did not smell like smoke at all, but there was always someone out on the sundeck or the walkways smoking. The Edgewater staff did a fantastic job of cleaning up all of the butts that folks threw on the ground though.
3. When we checked in, the front desk clerk became very flustered, very nice, but very flustered. We did arrive quite early to check in. We explained that we in no way expected to be able to get into the rooms, just wanted to let them know we were in town. Once we arrived, we realized it would be nice to have somewhere to leave the cars as well. They did allow us to park and told us to return in a couple of hours. It all worked out, but it was surprising that an early arrival could cause so much anxiety - he told us that the weekend before they had 35 people arrive prior to 10 A.M. I would imagine this happens all the time.

You can't go wrong staying at the Edgewater. If I ever return to Old Orchard Beach, I will return to The Edgewater.

Room Tip: If an ocean view is important to you , book months in advance as there are very few true oceanview rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank sanibelover
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Edgewater is the best place to stay for family and just couples..Excellent all around as far as everything..My family is be going for years to OOB.. Have tried other hotels and nothing compares to this hotel.If someone writes a review and can not give it a good rating theres something wrong with them,,

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank JEFFREY B
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We just returned from a one week stay at The Edgewater. It is a lovely motel, right on the beach and steps from all the attractions of OOB. Five minute walk to the amusement park. We stayed in one of the two room suites. Although it is spacious and very clean, it is located right on the corner of a busy street. Until the wee hours of the morning you hear traffic and people returning from bars. It's also very bright as the shades are very thin. We ended up putting blankets in the windows.

I would recommend this hotel for it's cleanliness, friendly service and location. Just avoid the two suites on the corner...noisy and bright!

Jeanne in the office is the sweetest person I've met in a long time..thank you!

Room Tip: Very very clean and and well situated. Beach is beautiful and clean.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family