“Surprised this isn't a rent by the hour Motel. Don't go here!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Old Orchard Beach
Ocean House and Motel
Ranked #36 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Windham, Maine
“Surprised this isn't a rent by the hour Motel. Don't go here!”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stayed here for one night on Labor Day weekend with my girlfriend. We are locals, but decided to spend the night at the last minute of our final day to the beach for the season.

Not expecting to find any vacancies in town, we were surprised to find one room left here for only $100. Aware that the vast majority of independent hotels in town are kind of old, worn out, a bit shady and have seen better days, we went ahead and took the room without checking it out first. From the outside appearance of the property, we guessed it would be suitable for one night. We would really only be sleeping there anyway. In hindsight, perhaps I should have checked the room first based on the bargain $100 per night rate on Labor Day weekend.

Boy, were we wrong! I can't speak for the rooms in the "newer" portion of the motel, but we had an upstairs room in the original building. I'm not exaggerating, but upon opening the door it appeared we got an old storage closet with bare, faded, and visibly dirty, salmon pink concrete walls visibly cracking all over the place with numerous holes! There were two flimsy, creaking, steel frame beds which were barely large enough for a 12 year old. The floors were bare chipped and well beaten wood painted in flat brown latex paint, apparently about 25 years ago guessing from the appearance? The bathroom was the same. The room was almost like an abandoned hunting cabin out in the remote woods somewhere, just shortly before the roof caves in.

There was no TV, no phone, no AC, no nothing! I don't think there was even a chair or dresser? It made a room at Motel 6 seem like full service luxury! Had we not only gotten the room for a place to sleep for eight hours, I can't imagine wanting to spend a single minute in it. The room was so unwelcoming to be in that I was almost thinking they could use it for extra county jail cell space during the offseason. However, I'm sure it would've been too easy to escape since the door locks to the room looked like they could unlock if you just shook or jiggled them hard enough! You might want to think twice about leaving valuables in your room?

To cap off our quick visit, we returned to the motel after a night out and decided to sit out on the front porch in the rocking chairs to enjoy one of the last warm evenings of a quick summer in Maine. I saw somebody laying by the gated off poolside which closes at 9pm. I was not sure if it was open late, so I walked over to take a look if we could sit by it. After seeing the 'pool closed' sign, I walked back to the porch and told my partner it was closed but somebody was passed out in there! I made a joking remark to her about it "looks like he had a good night".

The next thing I know, out of nowhere this punk kid covered in tattoos and intoxicated (apparently, the guy I saw by the pool) is coming up behind me cussing me out because he thought I'd walked up to the pool fence and made a derogatory remark towards him. We tried to explain we didn't even know who he was and the next thing we know his older tattoo'd punk brother comes out of no where and joins in defending his brother. The more we denied saying anything, the more the hostile things became with them telling us " You don't know who we're messing with" and "I just got out of prison and if you don't shut your mouth wise guy, were going to [--] you up." I was slightly perturbed at this point and probably should have kept my mouth shut, but I was angry when they started bothering and insulting my girlfriend. Things kept escalating when we tried to retreat into the lobby to get help. Nobody around anywhere! Nobody answering the phone number posted out front to call in case of a guest issue. In the mean time, tough guy convict number two is following me inside pulling off his shirt as if he's about to assault me while the younger brother goes to their car to get God knows what! Finally, at my urging my girlfriend calls 911, and the the two retreat to a unknown room just as the police arrived.

When the cops came, they ran their license plate, spent two minutes looking around before literally and condescendingly telling us "We're really busy tonight and we don't have time for this stuff. Why don't you just go to your room and if they come back to do something, then call us back!"

I'm thinking great, so they'll come help after one of us is stabbed, shot, assaulted? So much for help! For safety reasons we elected to go to our room at this point, although we weren't ready for sleep and didn't really desire to be in the room for anything else! Kind of ruined the night for us where as paying guests we couldn't even sit out on the porch on one of the last nights of summer without fear of being assaulted by drunk thugs with no staff keeping watch on the property.

The only positive thing I can say was the staff was incredibly friendly and professional. Checking out the next morning, I informed the women at the desk about the escalating incident we'd had in the lobby and porch the night before. Pointed out the vehicle of the two guests that bothered us and left. I would hope they got kicked out, I doubt it.

According to her, the night watchmen is suppose to make rounds on the hour every night after a certain hour, but we never saw anybody who worked there from late evening until the next morning.

I'd suggest somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Adam81980

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Natick, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Clean, simple and inexpensive. Where can you stay right on the beach, with a beautiful pool, a room with a stove top, refrigerator, microwave, toaster and fully equipped kitchen. We parked our car and never had to drive any where the whole time. Few steps and we were on the beech watching fireworks, the sunset and sun rise. Our room had Ac and was big enough for the four of us. We all had a great time. Can't wait to longer next year. Thank you to all the staff at The Ocean House

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Nheyde0427
Lebanon, New Hampshire
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The House House is a taste of the past sprinkled with present day. If you are are looking for a Hilton experience, don't bother- this is a simple, clean, close location to the Pier and ocean. If you enjoy listening to the ocean at night and the smell of fresh salt air, this place has it for a reasonable price. With a quiet, family atmosphere, you can count on a clean venue, fresh towels, and great parking for a weekend or full vacation. I have stayed here for countless years and they continue to improve the old building yet retaining the taste of the early 1900's. The shower has great hot water and the chairs/bed are delightful. If you are looking for a sweet spot, reasonable pricing, check it out. I almost hate to give away such a cool secret. Seagull one out. Vacations should be fun and relaxing.

Room Tip: If you want basics, stay in the House itself (for ocean lovers). If you want air conditioning cable...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Yello4U
Lebanon, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My family and I have visted OOB for more than 20 years. We have stayed at numerous hotels and motels until we found the Ocean House. If you are looking for views, a piece of history, I cannot recommend this motel enough. With continual renovations and rooms that have special personalities, you need to expect a taste of the past combined with a hint of present day. Early 1900's furniture, large stairways, a pool, spectacular views, and a close location to the pier make this vacation stay special. Fair pricing, no nonense rooms provide no spectacular cable or AC in the house itself, while the units next door proide these amenities and more. I endorse the Ocean House because it is uniquie and not your typical vacation place, thus I love it for its personality and taste of the past while looking forward. Have no illusions, this is not the Waves and I would never stay at another location. Our bathroom is new and the view is prime. If you love the ocean and the sounds of nature, the Ocean House might just be the best kept secret in OOB. All my best and remember, the ocean is the star and the wildlife around, enjoy peace and a pace not found elsewhere. Savor your vacation. TWPIII

Room Tip: The side motel had cable, tv, air conditioning and a nice kitchen. The old house facing the ocean i...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cindy P
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Room was horrible. Rust everywhere. The bathroom was full with bugs. No tv in room and cracks in walls and kold everywhere. You could find a better shower and a cleaner shower at your local ymca in the stalls. Worst hotel ever have I stayed at. I prefer waves hotel amoungst them all. Beds in the ocean house where falling off the frame, wobbling, and very uncomfortable. Doors had split wood down the middle and horribe locks. This room was over $200 and i wouldnt even pay that much for a week at this room. Horrible place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank danmegmoll

Travellers are raving about these Old Orchard Beach hotels

West Hartford, CT
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed in a small room in the original building. As some other reviewers have noted, the hotel was once a small grand dame of summer resorts. The architecture is fascinating and the layout is wonderful: expansive parlors and sitting rooms, wonderfully shaded porches with ample shade and rocking chairs. Many guests can enjoy working on puzzles or playing board and card games that the hotel provides. The original property does not have AC or TV in the rooms or in the parlors either. Since they do provide large window fans and the hotel faces the beach, it is easy to fill the room with the cool ocean air and it feels and smells divine! You just can't beat the location, view, or the price! There is also free wifi (not in the rooms though).
The hotel is also kept clean and we did have an updated shower with good pressure. Only two small towels are provided per day and they don't always make the bed up -- we were told that "after you've been there a while they stop doing that" ---- hmmm.... Our room was very small, however, with little space to move around the double bed. A torn curtain served as the "door" to the closet. The dresser was also old and stuck when you tried to open it. The mattress was just okay but the pillows were very good.
Nevertheless, the property is in extensive need of updating and repair. The plaster is cracking on the first floor and looks terrible. Also, even though the place is filled with antique furniture, it is getting musty and many of the pieces are uncomfortable. Either the furniture should be reupolstered or sold and the funds used for new chairs and sofas. The rugs are practically threadbare as well and have faded. I think the owners would do well to research getting one of those historic restoration grants to make improvements on the property in order to restore it to its original beauty.
The desk staff is very friendly and helpful with recommendations about dining and attractions. A clean pool faces the ocean with nice lounge chairs. Of course, the gorgeous beach is just steps away.
We came to the Ocean House knowing what to expect and so we enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: Try for an ocean view -- if in the original house opt for second floor rather than third since there...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank We'reReady!!
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Ocean House, room 9 was situated along the pool area; as the TripAdvisor rating was pretty high so were my expectations. However, first off was the parking... very tight and hard to maneuvering leaving parking area. The room itself was of a reasonable size but in need of some upgrades. Pots & pans badly pitted, bedspreads were threadbare and the plumbing was horrible. Whenever someone turned on the shower the pipes in the kitchen would make a horrible noise and we constantly needed to turn on the hot water and let it drip for a while. Mattresses slipped off boxspring to the point we thought we would fall out of bed each night. On the other hand A/C was great. The old hotel area with its spacious reading / games rooms were fabulous... the pool was clean, very family-oriented. Not sure I would stay here again as the inconveniences outweighed the perks. I only rated the value as a 3 bcuz of all the problems with the room.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family