“Mixed Bag”

The New Oceanic Inn
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We went for a long weekend, party of six using three rooms, two to a room. When I saw this place online, I saw that they had 20 rooms so I assumed it was more of a motel like place with standard rooms. Not so. Each room is unique... and by "unique", I mean like nothing you've ever seen before in a place representing itselft as an inn. It's apparently an old house that's been converted into the hotel, the pub in the basement and the cafe on the sidwalk, as well as the office/living area for the staff. They've made 20 rooms by literally converting EVERYTHING into sleeping rooms, including one room that was apparently a closet for a water heater before. We saw one room that had a toilet, fully exposed, in the middle of the bedroom. Cracked us up!

While the guy runing the place was very friendly and responsive whenever we asked for anything, the service was pretty much nonexistent. We were there three nights, and the rooms were never cleaned. We had to ask for clean towels every day and carry them up to the rooms ourselves. Ironically, there were envelopes left on the beds soliciting tips for the housekeeping staff. Um, excuse me, but tips are for service rendered. I usually tip housekeeping staff daily, but not if they don't even show up! The rooms had coffee makers, but we had to ask for filters. They had dishes and such in the kitchenettes, and sinks, but no dish soap. Again, after asking, we got some in a little dixie cup. So, we generally got whatever we asked for, but... why do we have to ask for EVERYTHING?

Parking is an interesting challenge. Technically, we had reserved spaces for our two vehicles, but getting them in and out required jockeying barriers and other cars around.

On the plus side, it's quite close to the beach and other attractions. No real view to speak of, there's a five story hotel between this place and the beach that blocks views even from the top floor. The pub downstairs is fun. Best part about it was the bouncer who was really fun.

Bottom line, the place is fine if you're prepared to rough it a bit. This was a spur of the moment trip for us on Labor Day weekend, so we were glad to find rooms at all, and we wanted to be near the beach.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique. Try to get the details on exactly which room you're going to get, and how...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank HereticBill
csdude66, Webmaster at The New Oceanic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2014

Dear HereticBill:

The Oceanic Inn makes every effort to ensure that all our guests enjoy a relaxing and pleasant stay with us. We are sorry to hear that your recent experience with us was otherwise.

Please contact The Oceanic Inn by email or phone and we will make every effort to address your concerns. Our email address is office@theoceanicinn.com and our phone number is (207) 934-1300. Please ask for the owner Armand if you call.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

My girlfriend and I are locals. We stayed here on the spur of the moment one night in July after a day to the beach. Most motels were full, and we randomly stopped by this one to see about getting a room for the night after seeing the 'Vacancy' sign out front.

We were greeted by the owner, who I rate a 5 on his friendliness, upbeat personality and helpfulness. He was great, and went out of his way late at night to come out and get my car keys for me when I discovered I'd left something in the car.

He told us he had one room for $110 that night. On first impressions based on the appearace of the property, we took it without seeing the room first. In hindsight, perhaps we should have? Especially, when he asked us two or three times before we paid if we wanted to see the room first.

It was only for one night, just to sleep, so we figured it would make due. We'd take what we got. We got room 10 (photos can be viewed on The Oceanic Inn website)

As soon as we opened the door, I could tell this was like no motel room I've ever stay in before! I think I even laughed out loud upon the sight in front of us!

You know those portable hotel rooms they have in places like Japan? The ones that are super little, really offering only a bed, tv., sink, but barley any room to move? Well, that's what we got!

Our room was akin to the size of your average walk in closet. I estimate about 35 square feet, of which 1/4 was occupied by shower,sink, toilet, Another 2/4's with the bed (complete with sewage pipe from above room coming through ceiling next to the bed and draining through wall underneath.) And the remaining 1/4 being standing room only! Two people couldn't stand and move around freely, Also, not even a window! It was almost comical. Especially, with the funky purple neon lighting. It kind of reminded me of a Berlin brothel in Germany.

To be fair, the room was clean enough. There was A/C, and a small flat screen TV over the bed- Although we couldn't watch it because the batteries in the remote didn't work, and by the time we discovered this, we'd gone to bed.- I think there was a mini fridge, too? But I don't remember?

Overall, room was more than a bit too small. This could be considered ultra-economy! Definitely not worth $110, but I suppose thats just what the market demands during peak OOB season.

However, with that said, we were the ones who took the room without looking first, so I'll pass the blame to ourselves for that. I'm not one to complain, so I'll remember that night as a comical one rather than a bad experience.

After looking through Tripadvisor user submitted photos of the other rooms here, I'd consider staying here again, Albiet to an upgraded room next time!

Room Tip: Avoid Room 10. Especially, if claustrophobic! Check room photos out on the Inn's website beforeh...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adam81980

Dear Adam81980:

Reviewed 29 August 2013

we rented a room for a weekend getaway and when we went to check in we were told we did not have a room.
when an employee checked the books we then noticed our room was double booked. when we asked what happened the owner simply said he did not have a confirmation number that we booked a room with him but he remembers the conversation. upon showing him that he did give us a confirmation number and he billed our credit card he got very defensive and said he does not know us people all we were asking for was some help we just drove over 5 hours only to find that he rented the room to a couple who came in on Thursday night.
we did find a room in Scarborough for an additional $ 100.00 dollars per night .
I say stay away from this place .Oh I forgot to mention he did not want to refund our money
dis satisfied customer in Vermont

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank burt1013
csdude66, Webmaster at The New Oceanic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear burt1013:

Reviewed 18 August 2013

needs updating beds are old , tv:s need flat screen so don't bang your head everytime want to go in drawers.
unfortunately because it old orchard people will always need rooms I would suggest staying outside say Wells accommodation is much superior and less money and 10 minutes drive away.

Room Tip: needs updating all of them pictures are making it look bad
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andy L
csdude66, Webmaster at The New Oceanic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear Guest:

The Oceanic Inn makes every effort to ensure that all our guests enjoy a relaxing and pleasant stay with us. Please contact the Oceanic Inn by phone or email and we will make every effort to address your concerns. Our phone number is (207) 934-1300. Please ask for the owner Armand.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

This was about the 4th summer I have come to the Oceanic for a beach weekend with my teen daughter. What brings us back is the friendly and superior customer service of the owner and staff of this hotel. Its location is incredible - just a few buildings back from the beach and right on the main drag in OOB. I accidentally left some belongings behind in my room and they quickly and cheerfully found them and made arrangements to ship them to my home.

They also made good on a few issues we had with our room after we made some VERY last minute reservations with them.

I can't say enough about this property. There may be fancier and bigger hotels in OOB but I'll take the Oceanic. We'll be back next year!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
csdude66, Webmaster at The New Oceanic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Katbennett:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for The Oceanic Inn. We appreciate your efforts and look to meet or exceed your expectations the next time you stay with us!

May you have an enjoyable rest of your summer.

Webmaster, The Oceanic Inn

Reviewed 30 July 2013

My family and I made last minute plans to go to OOB and after calling all around we found one last opening here. I can's say enough about the owner/manager, Armand. He was extremely friendly and inviting. He allowed us to check in early around 12:30pm and even moved his Jeep to give us his parking spot! The location is ideal to the beach, pier and everything else. Once we parked, we didn't move the car once until we checked out. As for the room,we stayed in room #14. I could see and smell the ocean from our room.. We even slept with the balcony door open. Although the room was a little unorthodox, it was very clean and worked for us and the kids. The pub and cafe downstairs was pretty cool too.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Charlie H

Dear Charlie H:

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post a review of The Oceanic Inn on Trip Advisor. We are pleased that you had a pleasant experience during your recent stay with us!

Guest reviews are important to us on our Trip Advisor listing. We appreciate your taking the time to post a review and look forward to meeting or exceeding your expectations the next time you stay with us.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My family and I had a wonderful stay this week. The rooms are kept very clean and the Owner and his staff will get you anything you need to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable! Reasonable prices for peak season, especially for the location. Just 5 minutes walking distance to the center and the beach Is just steps away from the Inn!! My family found our new summer vacation
spot!! P.s. Can't forget about the cafe and local pub downstairs.
Kristen and Rich Gendron