“Nice place for money's worth!”
Review of Beau Rivage Motel

Beau Rivage Motel
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice place for money's worth!”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We have stayed at the Beau Rivage 2 years in a row now. For the money you pay to have a pool/hot tub and just a mintues walk to the beach it was great!! It is a motel not a hotel so you get what a motel has to offer near the beach . Friendly staff. Love being able to just walk to the beach and back so quickly. Rooms are older however most places at that price range are in Old Orchard. Oh and the train traveling behind us wasn't so bad. We can't wait to go back this year!! Watch out Old Orchard here we come!!

Room Tip: If you can avoid the rooms by the stairs, those are the most noisest!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2011

The Beau Rivage was the second stop on our family vacation and when we opened the door to our room we all looked at each other and my heart sunk. It was a very dreary room and dirty. Everything was old, visibly worn and hadn't seen a bucket of Mr Clean and water in a long time. The chair for the desk had dust, crumbs and jewelry beads where the cushion meets the back of the chair, I insisted that my children keep their shoes on at all times and not let the 70s bedspread touch them when they were in bed. The screens on the windows haven't been washed in years (I am serious). The screen in our bathroom that overlooked the train track that everyone is talking about, was also dirty and had a hole in it and toilet paper shoved in it to keep the bugs out. I believe that I read somewhere that the motel was built back in the sixties and the bathroom fixtures are the originals. The tub is all scratched and worn, sink and fixtures very worn, a very little shelf for everyone to put their stuff on. we had to live out of bags for 3 days - there wasn't enough room to leave much more than each of our toothbrushes out. Keeping on the space theme, the room was very tiny, you could not walk around either bed, just one path up the middle between the 2 doubles. No room for luggage so we were stepping over bags the whole time. The four of us could not sit together in the room and talk or play a game. Just not an inviting relaxing atmosphere at all.

We had the unfortunate luck of having 2 heavy smokers in the room next to us that went out on our shared balcony frequently throughout the day to smoke so we would have to shut our door constantly to keep the smoke from floating into our room.

The beds were very old and worn and the pillows were the thickness of a newspaper-worn right out. We had the most uncomfortable sleep ever. We did not use the kitchen facilities as I could not stomach using any of their dishes without scouring everything first, plus I did not want to be in that room a minute more than I had to. It is just hilarious that IOG mentioned the movie "My Cousin Vinny" as my husband said the exact same thing when the train pulled through the first night we were there.

After first seeing our room and knowing how disappointed my whole family was, I went to the front desk to see if we could get an upgrade to a clean, comfortable, modern room and I was told that there is only 1 room that has been renovated and it was not available so we agreed to suck it up and make the best of it. We had to prepay (and we understand why, as most people would leave when they saw the rooms- we certainly would have had we not had to prepay) and we would have lost our money if we left. Of course looking around Old Orchard Beach there were not a lot of options. Most every other motel looked to be run down as well. I agree with IOG, all of OOB is tired and run down, it was very difficult to find a place to eat that wasn't selling greasy pizza out of the side of a building. Storefronts are dirty, windows haven't been cleaned in forever. We have done OOB and won't be back.

I have come to the conclusion that those that have given the motel good reviews are the return guests that have been going there for many years and cannot give an unbiased review. The owners are taking advantage of the customers by insisting on prepayment and then not providing a clean, comfortable room for our enjoyment and relaxation.

We are late sleepers and rarely check out of a room by the checkout time. I just could not wait to get out of that place so I was up by 7am and had everyone in the family up, showered, dressed and out of there by 9am - the first time ever. When we checked into the Hampton Inn later that day I kicked off my shoes and walked on the carpet, fell on the bed and hugged the pillows. I was soooo glad to be in a clean modern hotel room and for the same price - Imagine that!!

Room Tip: Just do not stay here. I wish I had taken some photos to share with people.
4 Thank Wanda J
BeachBall54, Manager at Beau Rivage Motel, responded to this review, 24 September 2011
We appreciate your feedback and apologize that your stay with us was less than desirable in your eyes and that our seasonal, coastal community did not meet your expectations. We also apologize that we were unable to accommodate your request to move to another unit, as there was not another unit available for the dates you stayed during our peak season. Our motel was built 2 generations ago to meet the needs of that generation. We do make every effort to modernize and maintain each unit with upgrades to meet the needs of today’s modern, fast paced, luxury oriented world. We are not a 5 Star property, nor do we represent that we are. We do, however strive to maintain our 2 Star Rating, and our units. We wish to point out that the ‘kitchenettes’, as well as the tile flooring, in building in which you stayed were all replaced with new units this spring. We also wish that you would have brought any cleanliness issues you found to be unacceptable to you in your unit directly to our management team, as we would have addressed your concerns immediately and taken every action to insure you and your family a more comfortable stay. It is hard to fathom that even one of units would have so many ‘issues’, as our full time head housekeeper, thoroughly inspects every unit before the keys are handed out. The numerous compliments we receive from our guests are an adage to that fact.
New Brunswick
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is a no frills place to stay, but one of the nicest in Old Orchard Beach area. The room was plenty big and it was extremely clean ( and you can't say that about all of them in that area). We arrived a bit early and our room wasn't ready but they checked us in and we got a couple of chairs in the shade outside our room. Two gals cleaned it and the third one came and inspected their work after they finished - I loved that fact....... great customer service for sure. Our room had a fridge and microwave- bonus for us. The call I made to make the reservation was handled very well and our room was exactly as described. The only negative thing was that there were people outside of the rooms talking and laughing until the early hours, but that was not the fault of the hotel. The train behind the motel kind of shakes the bed, but they don't come through very often. within walking distance to the pier and to dunkin donuts and several eateries- our second summer to stop here - we'll be back

Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 12 September 2011

First of all, this motel (and town) is no where near the typical Maine experience. Both would fit in better along the tackiest part of the Jersey Shore. But on to the hotel...

The owner is downright rude. Obviously he has been burned by clientele who skipped out on him before, but it does fit the ambience. We reserved two rooms for ourselves for three nights, and one room for friends for the second and third night. When we arrived, we were asked to pay in full for everything. We ended up negotiating with the employee at the front desk and agreed we'd pay for our two rooms up front and our friend would pay for their room when they arrived the next afternoon.

At 10:30 the next morning, the phone rings and the owner tells us to pay for our friends room in full by 11:00 am or we would have to leave! We usually don't pay the balance until checkout at most places we stay at, but obviously this place was out of our league! The owner was downright rude!

Second, the rooms look clean at first glance, but when you look behind or under ANYTHING, it's filthy. We had checked the online registry for hotels with bedbugs, and at least we didn't have to deal with that.

Third, it's true about the train. Ever see the movie "My Cousin Vinny"? You got it...right behind the hotel and the entire place shakes. At least you can hear the whistle before it gets there and be warned.

If you are looking to vacation at a tacky beach town, and stay at a hotel that is dirty, with a rude owner and want to experience the "My Cousin Vinny" effect, then this is the place for you.

For us, never again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank IOG
BeachBall54, Manager at Beau Rivage Motel, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback but find it unfortunate for us both that you had issues regarding our payment Policies. As is standard for many non-franchise Motels, all balances are paid upon check in as stated on our website and our confirmations. Our front desk clerk was not in a position to make exceptions. Also, we found it inopportune that you would find issues with the cleanliness of our rooms. Our room inspections are the single most important part of our day to assure guests a clean and comfortable room, and we apologize if our staff missed something. We are finding it very difficult to believe that 3 pairs of eyes missed so many things. We trust in the majority of our guests who have expressed numerous compliments on a day to day basis about how clean our place is. But you are entitled to your opinion and we appreciate your feedback nonetheless.
West Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night at the end of August 2011, we were getting a head start on a "kid free" weekend. We chose this hotel for it's proximity to the restaurants and such, having never been to OOB before we thought we'd try it for a night before continuing on to our destination the next day. I rarely complain about accomodations since we try to keep costs down and look for "value" hotels. This place was nothing like it's website. The rooms have not been updated for years, the bathroom and vanity fixtures are out of the 70's (maybe even the 60's)

There appears to be less parking spaces than rooms and those that are there are poorly arranged and small. The overall feel is "70's Spartan".
The mattress was about as comfortable as piece of plywood.

That being said there were a few "Good Points"
The room and grounds were kept quite clean.
The shower water pressure and temperature were well above average.
It had a very good location convenient to everything.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2011

The room seemed a bit dirty. A nasty smell blew in from the window AC unit. A good location, an easy walk to all beach attractions. Not sure what Maine defines as a "heated" pool, but we in NY have a different, and warmer, concept of a heated pool! Three hotels throughout Maine, all advertising heated pools, all three with cold water. Look around town, there are many choices of accomodations. I'm not saying to avoid this hotel, but one could do better.

Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2011

It's been the third time I stayed at the Beau Rivage in Old Orchard Beach. It's not a fancy hotel by any means, but it's close to the beach (just one block) and close to the pier (about 5 minutes walk).

My room was 16A, which had a King bed, a mini-fridge, a microwave and a very small TV (I had the feeling of going back in time... but who cares... I'm not going to OOB to watch TV). The room was quite spacious (more than I expected), but the bathroom was very small (the toilet was almost underneath the sink... but again, I didn't care). The room was very clean and had a little view of the ocean from my window (but not the beach), which was nice.

As other pointed out, there is a train that goes right behind the hotel many times a day... even at night! For a light sleeper like me, that wasn't good. It woke me up every night... and I had ear plugs. However, I assume that any hotel nearby would have the same problem... but that was annoying to say the least. Another thing I didn't like was the doors to the rooms. They were hard to open (at least mine) and they were making lots of noise. That was annoying too when many members of a family were going in and out of their nearby room very frequently.

I really liked the pool though... and most of all the spa! It's open until 11PM, which is great, and you're even allowed to bring some beers (if you're quiet and if you don't bring bottles), which is even greater. It was nice relaxing in the spa while chatting with other people.

Other than that... parking was free (one car) and coffee too in the morning. Staff was polite and helpful. As the name suggests, this hotel seems to be owned by a French Canadian family... so some staff were speaking perfect French, if that's any help to you.

Since it was at the end of August, I managed to have a rate of 109$/night, which I thought was a good price. I know that Old Orchard is very seasonal, but I wouldn't pay 200$ to stay here... but at the good price, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo