“you could smell the fiflth as soon as you open the motel door!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Norman's Motel

Norman's Motel
Ranked #44 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
ma.
“you could smell the fiflth as soon as you open the motel door!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 17 August 2009

we stayed for one night 8/15/09 me, my friend , & two and a half yr old grand daughter. my grand daughter took off her shoes and from cleaned shower feet to just a matter of 3 min. walking on that field that looked like a carpet once, her feet were black. we should have known from when we walked into our room from the horrible, strong, stink in there. wouldn't even pass as a kennel. there is more to tell, just by that one night stay. do yourself a favor pass by and keep looking!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
montreal
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I slept into many hunting and fishing shacks those past years and they were much better and cleaner than the room we rented. The main office tells a lot about the whole thing: It smells like hell, something between dog urine and dead fish...but I didn't see any roaches hopefully (maybe they can't stand it). The carpet in our room was old and was smelling bad, the bed sheets were stained, The ceiling tiles were spotted by old rain infiltration, The dishes in our kitchenette were not washed properly, dust everywhere etc.
But, this is the ideal location, not to far from the beach, the restaurants, the grocery. Norman should put a bulldozer on it and hire and architect, a contractor and start it from scratch. It surely would become the hottest spot in Old Orchard. But as it is now, it's the worst place I've been to.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank boubouMontreal

Travellers are raving about these Old Orchard Beach hotels

Chicago
Reviewed 17 August 2008

My friend picked this place because of the price and I was horrifed when we arrived. The lobby smelled of cat urine and the our room was dark, dreary and smelled bad. I was afraid to walk on the carpet barefoot and the bathrooms were tiny. The bed was the most uncomfortable I had ever been in. We sprayed the whole room (including the beds) with Lysol. This is the worst place I ever stayed and I would sleep in a field before I stayed again. Spare yourself.

Stayed August 2008
Newcastle, Maine
Reviewed 15 August 2008

Look, I think that Norman is trying hard. The bushes are trimmed, the paint is fresh enough, and the parking lot has been sealed. However, the rooms are old, tired, and cramped. The towels are miniscule, and have been through the wash about 900 times. One of the blankets had cigarette burn holes, and the kids were thoroughly skeeved by the bathroom. As mentioned in another review, the lobby is used by a cat(s) as a urinal. The woman staffing the front desk upon our arrival would not get hired by the Hyatt, but the other folks were well meaning. Nevertheless, I have seen worse, and the price is not out of line. That said, nearby comparable motels looked more up to date, and were just as handy to the beach. Try one of those first.

• Liked — It is near the beach and amusment parks.
  • Disliked — It is old, tired, and cramped.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank sonoftwig
Quebec
Reviewed 11 August 2008

This place isn't the best place to stay at OOB, I was looking too late in the season but for the price it really isn't too bad. The rooms are older and show their age but the beds were comfortable. The WIFI doesn't really work in all rooms (#4) so you will have to sit out in front of your room to surf the net or get email. I brought this up to the owner but he didn't seem to be too worried. Anyways I was on vacation so I let it go. Bathrooms are very small with just a shower. Not a big deal also. The room was clean for its age and it was quiet (except for the a/c.) And for the price, having to drive to the beach wasn't a too bad. The only gripe I had was the motel office smelled like cat urine, this should have been addressed. Would I stay there again, probably. But given the chance to book earlier and closer to the beach, I probably will. I do have to say though it does have a friendly look to it.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — Poor internet in rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank atlanticghost
Quebec
Reviewed 6 August 2007

This was my worst stay at an Hotel / Motel ever. The room was dark, old and not very clean. The carpet was disgusting. We fond ants before we went to sleep the first night and found bugs all over the place in the morning. When confronted with the problem, the owner would not refund my second night as it was paid in advance. I decided to leave this place. The owner was not friendly. The reception smelled cat urine as the owner lets his cat loose.

Worst Stay ever...

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — bugs and the cleanliness (or lack of) of the room
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank IxE78
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 August 2005

Great service, the room is clean, and not too expensive! I will come back again:)

• Stayed August 2005