“Flea bag hotel Normandie!”

Normandie Oceanfront Motor Inn
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
new hampshire
“Flea bag hotel Normandie!”
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Vacationer be warned!!!! This is one to avoid. The room had no ventillation, the most uncomfortable excuse for a mattress, plus the fact that my legs itched during all nite and I believe it was either sand fleas or even worse bed bugs!!! Very unsettling!! I will not recommend this place ever!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank onelove59
MIKEBOUFFARD, manager at Normandie Oceanfront Motor Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2009
Well i can tell you that I do not have bed bugs or sand flies. Wouldn't you come to the office or something.And Complain I know I would.I would like to know could the person have a rash from the starch or soap in the sheets.I would like to know of these things from my customers. I am an on hands owner not somebody running my business. As into No ventilation windows do open . I don't understand . Again I'd like to know.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
New England
Reviewed 17 May 2009

The hotel is in an ideal location, the beach was pristine. The parking lot is very small and it was a project getting in and out. The room had some nice new wood paneling, new paint and tile in the bathroom. The shower was nice. But the toilet was not flushed and there was a giant mess in it, GROSS! The furniture was mismatched and looked like it had been collected from various garage sales, 80's style. The matress was comfortable. Walls are paper thin...beachfront rooms open to a common porch shared by all rooms overlooking the beach. We sat out for about fifteen minutes during which there was a constant stream of smokers coming out on the porch to smoke (since there is no smoking in the rooms) so we smelled more smoke than ocean. There was what looked to be a very nice indoor pool and hot tub but we did not use it. There is a cute eatery/grill area right on the beach and the prices listed were very cheap. But for some reason was not open and we couldn't even get a cup of coffee in the morning! If the weather had been nicer it might have been worth it.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
MIKEBOUFFARD, Manager at Normandie Oceanfront Motor Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2009
I would like o say yes my parking lot is small . Oceanfront property is expensive but every car has a parking spot that is given and is your spot for the duration of your stay.As into the toilet not being flushed was never told. If it was like that I apoligize but due find it hard to believe,I would have like to have been told so I could address the situation with my staff.I do take very much pride in my family business.Our rooms do not have missed match furniture froma yard sale .As into non smoking rooms . Yes the smoke on there deck. I can not stop them from doing that they do have right as you do to enjoy the beach and there deck too. Morning Coffee is in the office till 7-01 then the grill cafe is open.In the off season the grill is open's Memorial Weekend and open Weekends till 9-15
Newton, NH
Reviewed 3 September 2008

This was a last minute vacation, and we wanted to stay close to the beach. The Normandie Oceanfront fit this perfectly. We were so close to this beautiful stretch of beach that was clean, and enjoyable.

The rooms are not comparable to the Hilton, or a Marriott, but when you're at the beach who stays in the room ?? The rooms are somewhat small, but are kept very clean. The maid does a great job of cleaning (especially considering the amount of sand that is tracked in from the beach on a daily basis).

My family and I enjoyed our trip so much that we are already planning next years return to Normandie Oceanfront for a longer stay and maybe a larger room.

• Liked — Beachfront property
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Michigan
Reviewed 20 August 2008

The Normandie Motel should be compared to The Battle of Normandy… Devastating! Our room was the size of a boxcar providing little to no ventilation. The bathroom door would not shut without force, the tub would not drain properly, there was mold in the shower, and the air conditioner was loud and did not provide any relief from the heat. The door to the adjoining room did not lock, which is a huge security issue. The walls were paper thin. You could hear the conversations going on in the next room!
Upon check in we were not told about the assigned parking. We tried to move our large truck to a spot that would be not only provide better access for us to get in the car, but also make it easier for the people on either side of us to get into their vehicles. Once the car was moved we received a phone call from the owner telling us to move the car back, reprimanding us like naughty grade school children. We would have to crawl into the back of our truck just to leave the motel.
The owner clearly spoke both English and French, which is a wonderful aspect for French speaking travelers. Unfortunately, it seemed as though he catered specifically to the travelers from Quebec even though we are from French-Canadian decent.
The cost was outlandish for the size and quality of the room. Clearly you are paying for the proximity to the ocean, which was the only redeeming aspect of the place. After traveling 1,000 miles, we felt uncomfortable, angry and let down. As someone who works for a large chain hotel, I can see the massive amount of codes that are being broken. I cannot believe that they do not receive more complaints. Housekeeping was friendly. They did make the beds and give us fresh towels daily. BUYER BEWARE!

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — room quality and owner
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Manda3eb
kentucky
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Well, OK, I admit that the last two places I stayed were a four seasons and a ritz carlton. This hotel was sub-par under any standard of hostelry. There were hockey gear and clothing in bags down the hallway to step over and I guess they were too smelly for the rooms. At 8:45 PM we were asked to move our car to the street as supposedly the parking spaces were "assigned" although no one had told us that when we checked in and they weren't marked. We turned on the AC and dirt blew in the room where it apparently had never been dusted. The bedding was thin, the towels were thin, everything was second rate, at best. No shampoo and a skimpy little soap bar. The beach was nice, the only redeeming aspect of the place.

Mike's daughter told us we could stay around the day we checked out, but Mike told us we needed to leave by noon. Not the hospitality the previous reviews indicated. I would never ever recommend this to anyone. We used tripadvisor to vet it and it is the first time I have felt let down.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — it was just skanky
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank lilylouky
NYC
Reviewed 5 August 2008

We came back to Maine after not being there for 8 or 9 years and realized how much we truly missed it. Our vacation was last minute and we were unable to find a place to stay in either Ogunquit or Kennebunkport, so we decided to try Old Orchard Beach. As luck would have it, Mike at the Normandie had just received a cancellation and we hopped on it. We had no idea what we to expect. We were so stressed we just wanted a nice place right on the beach where we could relax and that is exactly what we got. Our oceanside room on the first floor was 4 steps down to the beach. We heard the waves breaking thru our window. We sat at the beach by day and walked on the beach at nite. The rooms are kept very clean with maid service every day. All rooms have color TV, a/c, refrigerators and some have kitchenettes. There is an indoor pool also. Mike is very helpful and friendly and runs a tight ship. There is a food concession right outside the rooms which is open everyday from 7 until 3:00. They serve great food including pancakes, french toast, eggs, bacon and have hamburgers, lobster rolls etc for lunch. You can walk to the famous pier from the beach but you are in the quiet section of the beach. We were so relaxed when we left we just wanted to turn back and stay some more. I highly recommend The Normandie to anyone who loves the beach and needs to relax. Its a great place to stay with very friendly people. We shall return.
Linda and Howie

• Liked — Located directly on beach
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Mass
Reviewed 29 July 2008

My husband and daughter stayed here with my in-laws in the apartment across the street. It was very clean but a little too small for all of us. It was a 2 bedroom and there was no room to put an air mattress. We tried to stay on the pull out sofa but it was very uncomfortable. The most annoying thing was the train. It went all night long and woke us all up every couple of hours. It was extremely close to our place and we did not get to sleep through the night. Not once! We came home from vacation exhausted. If we go there next year we will stay across the street and try to get closer to the ocean. For the price we could have stayed right on the beach.

Stayed July 2008