“Under any circumstance, DO NOT GO THERE!!”

Normandie Oceanfront Motor Inn
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Boston
“Under any circumstance, DO NOT GO THERE!!”
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I tried to reserve on July 4th weekend online. When I called 2 days later to find out, the guy answered the call was rude, who informed me multiple-day stay was required and did not confirm my reservation. So I booked at another hotel. Next week I found out that they charged me for deposit (almost $150!) for NO SHOW! The manager excused himself for not following up by calling me if I was coming, by saying many showed up very late, and that's why they did absolutely nothing till the following morning. All the first guy had to say was " yes, your reservation was confirmed and here is the confirmation # " This is a terribly managed inn. I would advise no one to go there.

Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
MIKEBOUFFARD, MaNAGER at Normandie Oceanfront Motor Inn, responded to this review, 9 July 2009
Hi,I would like to tell my side of the story so the people have not just one side. I personally talked to this person over the phone.This reservation was made on line and customer received her confirmation for the room via e mail more than 3 days before her arrival with a return receipt via e-mail.Our
policy like any hotel down at the beach.As into be nasty on the phone that is farthest from the ttruth . I have been running my family business for over 15 years. A confirmation is sent by mail oe e mail or if a customer call a does not have a confirmation it can looked up by there last name.As into being missed managed. This is a family business that has grown over the 40 years in business. And we try to do our best . If the person had the reservation confirmation then why would they need it again it would have been gladly been given.We did hold this reservation on the 4 th and the person never showed. I do believe that we were justified. And If she wanted to cancel would she not ask for a cancelltion # . I I sincerely apolgize. But I feel the deposit fpor the room is justifed. Thankyou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
United States
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We checked in and was told that we did not receive the room we requested. So the gentleman gave us 10% off and a extra day. The man was not able to give the credit on my card and asked me to talk to the owne's daughter would do the refund. When went to the room which was very small. Dead fly on the bathroom sink. Bed spreads and pillow cases had blood stains on them. I was told it was rust. 2 flat pillows per bed. I went to the office to see if she was able to do the refund for me and she did not know anything about it. So I had to go over the whole thing again with her. She asked me if I had my confirmation. All of the sudden the Rude owner comes and is yelling at me saying that we did not get the ocean front room because we added a day. At this time I just wanted my money back and I would go else where. He said no you are going to get what you wanted. So, then we had to move all of our stuff from one dump to the next. The new room at least was a little bigger. The bathroom door did not close unless you slammed it. The sink was plugged and had a crack in it and leaked on the floor. Wall's are paper thin and can hear everything. The best thing of all was when the maids came in to clean they would leave the door unlocked. We are lucky that nothing was stollen! They did warn us that if we cooked lobsters in the room they would charge us $75.00 for the smell. I had my sister check in as well and the room smelled like pot. We spent over a $1000.00 to stay in a hell hole!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
MIKEBOUFFARD, owner at Normandie Oceanfront Motor Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2009
This is to address the complaint about our motel. Unfortunately the manager/owner was not available upon this customers check-in.The person at the deskwas called in as an emergency fill in and we apolgized for any mix up he may have caused.He was helping us out do to a family emergency.If a person is unsatisfied with anything broken,not working or not cleaned to their standards . Most customers will call the front desk here or at any hotel for that matter,I know here the problem would be taken be rectified right away.We strive to make all our customers stay with us Stress Free and relaxing. Thou
sad to say "you can't please everyone but we give it 110 percent to try to do so
new hampshire
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Vacationer be warned!!!! This is one to avoid. The room had no ventillation, the most uncomfortable excuse for a mattress, plus the fact that my legs itched during all nite and I believe it was either sand fleas or even worse bed bugs!!! Very unsettling!! I will not recommend this place ever!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank onelove59
MIKEBOUFFARD, manager at Normandie Oceanfront Motor Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2009
Well i can tell you that I do not have bed bugs or sand flies. Wouldn't you come to the office or something.And Complain I know I would.I would like to know could the person have a rash from the starch or soap in the sheets.I would like to know of these things from my customers. I am an on hands owner not somebody running my business. As into No ventilation windows do open . I don't understand . Again I'd like to know.
New England
Reviewed 17 May 2009

The hotel is in an ideal location, the beach was pristine. The parking lot is very small and it was a project getting in and out. The room had some nice new wood paneling, new paint and tile in the bathroom. The shower was nice. But the toilet was not flushed and there was a giant mess in it, GROSS! The furniture was mismatched and looked like it had been collected from various garage sales, 80's style. The matress was comfortable. Walls are paper thin...beachfront rooms open to a common porch shared by all rooms overlooking the beach. We sat out for about fifteen minutes during which there was a constant stream of smokers coming out on the porch to smoke (since there is no smoking in the rooms) so we smelled more smoke than ocean. There was what looked to be a very nice indoor pool and hot tub but we did not use it. There is a cute eatery/grill area right on the beach and the prices listed were very cheap. But for some reason was not open and we couldn't even get a cup of coffee in the morning! If the weather had been nicer it might have been worth it.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
MIKEBOUFFARD, Manager at Normandie Oceanfront Motor Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2009
I would like o say yes my parking lot is small . Oceanfront property is expensive but every car has a parking spot that is given and is your spot for the duration of your stay.As into the toilet not being flushed was never told. If it was like that I apoligize but due find it hard to believe,I would have like to have been told so I could address the situation with my staff.I do take very much pride in my family business.Our rooms do not have missed match furniture froma yard sale .As into non smoking rooms . Yes the smoke on there deck. I can not stop them from doing that they do have right as you do to enjoy the beach and there deck too. Morning Coffee is in the office till 7-01 then the grill cafe is open.In the off season the grill is open's Memorial Weekend and open Weekends till 9-15
Newton, NH
Reviewed 3 September 2008

This was a last minute vacation, and we wanted to stay close to the beach. The Normandie Oceanfront fit this perfectly. We were so close to this beautiful stretch of beach that was clean, and enjoyable.

The rooms are not comparable to the Hilton, or a Marriott, but when you're at the beach who stays in the room ?? The rooms are somewhat small, but are kept very clean. The maid does a great job of cleaning (especially considering the amount of sand that is tracked in from the beach on a daily basis).

My family and I enjoyed our trip so much that we are already planning next years return to Normandie Oceanfront for a longer stay and maybe a larger room.

• Liked — Beachfront property
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Michigan
Reviewed 20 August 2008

The Normandie Motel should be compared to The Battle of Normandy… Devastating! Our room was the size of a boxcar providing little to no ventilation. The bathroom door would not shut without force, the tub would not drain properly, there was mold in the shower, and the air conditioner was loud and did not provide any relief from the heat. The door to the adjoining room did not lock, which is a huge security issue. The walls were paper thin. You could hear the conversations going on in the next room!
Upon check in we were not told about the assigned parking. We tried to move our large truck to a spot that would be not only provide better access for us to get in the car, but also make it easier for the people on either side of us to get into their vehicles. Once the car was moved we received a phone call from the owner telling us to move the car back, reprimanding us like naughty grade school children. We would have to crawl into the back of our truck just to leave the motel.
The owner clearly spoke both English and French, which is a wonderful aspect for French speaking travelers. Unfortunately, it seemed as though he catered specifically to the travelers from Quebec even though we are from French-Canadian decent.
The cost was outlandish for the size and quality of the room. Clearly you are paying for the proximity to the ocean, which was the only redeeming aspect of the place. After traveling 1,000 miles, we felt uncomfortable, angry and let down. As someone who works for a large chain hotel, I can see the massive amount of codes that are being broken. I cannot believe that they do not receive more complaints. Housekeeping was friendly. They did make the beds and give us fresh towels daily. BUYER BEWARE!

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — room quality and owner
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Manda3eb
kentucky
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Well, OK, I admit that the last two places I stayed were a four seasons and a ritz carlton. This hotel was sub-par under any standard of hostelry. There were hockey gear and clothing in bags down the hallway to step over and I guess they were too smelly for the rooms. At 8:45 PM we were asked to move our car to the street as supposedly the parking spaces were "assigned" although no one had told us that when we checked in and they weren't marked. We turned on the AC and dirt blew in the room where it apparently had never been dusted. The bedding was thin, the towels were thin, everything was second rate, at best. No shampoo and a skimpy little soap bar. The beach was nice, the only redeeming aspect of the place.

Mike's daughter told us we could stay around the day we checked out, but Mike told us we needed to leave by noon. Not the hospitality the previous reviews indicated. I would never ever recommend this to anyone. We used tripadvisor to vet it and it is the first time I have felt let down.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — it was just skanky
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family