“A pearl in the oyster!”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Massapequa Park, New York
“A pearl in the oyster!”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

After much online research I narrowed our summer vacation plans to Old Orchard Beach, ME. I put my trust in the Trip Advisor reviews and booked a week at the Echo Motel. My husband, 5 yr. old daughter and I stayed here the 2nd week in July and we couldn't have had a better motel and weather experience. Upon arriving I noticed right away that the pictures online did NOT do this place justice, it is more updated in person. True, it's not a 5 star hotel (as Paul mentioned to us) but I can definitely say it is impeccably clean (they even vacuum in front of the room, outside!), kudos to their housecleaning staff. We were in room #1, first kitchenette room on the bottom, next to the office. Prior to arriving I was concerned about the foot traffic and noise but was pleasantly surprised to find it pretty quiet. I loved that it was set in from the road and no through traffic on the street to the beach, which is only a 2 house walking distance. Upon arriving we encountered a couple of minor glitches in the room, the bathroom sink was leaking (from recent renovations) and the front burner of the efficiency stove didn't work (just needed to be plugged in). I mentioned both issues to the owners, Leslie & Paul and by the time we came back to our room that day both were fixed and we had no problems the rest of the week, now that's service!
The kitchenette was equipped with 2 burners, sink, dorm refrigerator, microwave, cart w/ cutting board, basin, sponge, dish soap, pots, pans, silverware, cooking utensils, bowls, plates, glasses, coffee cups, wine glasses, big salad bowl, colander, dish towels, coffee maker and toaster, ice cube tray. Bring paper towels/ napkins.
I agree with the other "reviewer" that the bathroom was a bit tight. It would've definitely been useful to have a detachable hand-held shower-head to bathe my 5 yr. old since there was not a bath tub and a couple of hooks or shelves in the shower stall (we used clothes hangers). Still, these things would NOT DETER us from staying here again.
Hair dryer is provided.
We would go to the beach the first half of the day, spray the sand off with the motel's hose, come back for lunch (which we utilized one of the two gas bbq's and picnic table with umbrella that are provided to motel guests (great amenity) then we would head to the heated pool (with outdoor shower) at the end of the L shaped motel. Although the motel is a no pet/ non-smoking motel (which we appreciated), smokers do have designated areas where they are allowed to smoke and unfortunately the pool was one of them cutting our pool time short on occasion.
The Pier, Playland and restaurants are a quick 15-20min. walk (not worth driving, nice walk). We ate dinner at Surf 6 our 1st and last night, eat outside if you like ambiance! Overall, we weren't very impressed with the restaurants in the nearby vicinity. Coming from Long Island, NY we were anticipating great seafood dishes with Maine lobster, shrimp, mussels, etc. WITH a view and still had food for a child...the majority of the restaurants offered fried food, not for us. Maybe if we went to another part of Maine it would have been different. We wound up going to Bugaboo Creek for steak and Famous Dave's for ribs (next to Cabela's) , both are child friendly. Had lunch at the Brunswick one day (a little risky with a child (beach booze crowd) but it turned out fine, bbq'd at the motel for dinner. Honestly, to have utilized the bbq for dinner might have worked out best.
Added bonus to end a perfect week, fireworks down at the Pier can be viewed perfectly from the beach every Thursday night in the summer.
Overall, The Echo Motel is definitely a place I would come back to if I were to visit Old Orchard Beach, ME again or I would love to stay in one of their beautiful cottage houses if another family tagged along!

2 Thank dtkadvisor

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Milford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 August 2011

OUr family has been going to OOB for more than 30 years, and most places we have stayed have been just ok....mostly overpriced rundown motels. They charged what they did because of their location. Well, the Echo is super close to the beach and downtown, and you can't beat the cleanliness! The rooms are VERY reasonable even in the high season, and I can honestly say, everyone there was so nice! The housekeepers were sweet, as were the owners, and its the first place I've seen that changes the bedspreads, definite plus! The only drawback for me was for the people on the other side of the divider you can't see the tv from the bed. Can't wait to go back next year!

3 Thank ktoby78
milford, MA
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Just completed a week's vacation at the Echo Motel, what a nice clean motel. The service if family oriented, friendly and very reasonable. The owners, Paul an Leslie were so nice...our plan is to vacation there again next year. Highly recommend the Echo Motel for your vacation, just steps away from the beach...you'll love it.

Fran Anderson, Milford, MA

2 Thank nine73
Milford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 July 2011

The service we received was just great!! The hotel rooms were extremely clean, housekeeping staff was very friendly and accomodating, and rooms were good size.. beach was walking distance away, under 2 minutes! And also close to downtown area so you can walk.. I liked the cleanliness the best, I actually saw the housekeepers strip the comforters off the bed, which I have never seen before.. the thing I least liked was that the doors lock automatically.. I suppose it is a good safety feature, but accidents happen and sometimes the door shuts and your key is inside.. it's especially unfortunate when it happens late at night and you have to disturb someone for a spare key! Other than that, I found this hotel to be much nicer than the previous hotel I stayed at for 6 years close by, and I would definitely rent here again!!!

Room Tip: I only stayed here once, and my room on the end was great because it was semi-private..
1 Thank KerrieA
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My family and I have been coming to the Echo for many years and love being there each and every time! We began taking our sons here on vacation and now that they are grown we recently brought our grandson for his first Maine vacation and he loves it too!!!

Paul and Leslie are the most gracious of hosts!! The Echo is exceptionally clean and well loved. Each time my husband and I are lucky enough to get away for a weekend the Echo is always our first and only choice. It is like coming home!!!

Room Tip: Rooms are sleeping units and kitchenettes. Depending on the length of your stay would recommend eit...
2 Thank summerisbest
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We just returned from the Echo Motel, Old Orchard Beach. We had stayed at many motels in the area and had the good fortune to experience the Echo Motel. The staff is attentive, our room was exceptionally clean, and our fellow guests were repeat visitors, which speaks volumes for any establishment. Without a doubt, we will come back to the Echo, but for a longer vacation.

Room Tip: Look Online
7 Thank PeggyLyn56
Washington, DC
Reviewed 8 July 2011

My family of four, including two teens, stayed at Echo Motel (not the cottages, which looked spacious and were right on the beach) in late June and had a great time. The motel is on the beach side of the street and less than a mile from the pier. It had a little kitchenette, and a heated pool to splash around in when the kids gave up on the surf, which was still really cold. Our only complaint is that the shower is small and hit my 5' 11" husband in the chest. But the room was very comfortable, and the owners were sweet and very helpful at pointing us toward the best restaurants and other attractions. If you're trying to decide if you want to stay at Echo, which is family-owned and managed, remember that it's just a little, old-fashioned beach motel, the kind that you stay in when you know you're going to spend most of the time "out and about." It's clean, comfortable, well-maintained, and super close to the beach, which makes it a real value. I guess the best thing I could say is that, if we go back to Old Orchard beach, we'd stay there again!

Room Tip: All the rooms are different; read the descriptions well. If you're in a group or staying awhile...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family