Review Highlights
Great place to visit during the summer

The pier has it all. Music, food, drink and shopping. It's a great place to spend an afternoon... read more

Reviewed 17 October 2018
PaulPanas
Lowell, Massachusetts
Good place to visit

Older pier, Some of the places weren't open but in mid September it is to be expected. Not much of... read more

Reviewed 24 September 2018
Michael A
Columbus, Ohio

All reviews amusement park steamers souvenir shops raw bar pier fries lots of fun seafood palace playland ocean stroll maine
Reviewed 10 September 2018

My wife and I went here thinking that it was going to be much larger. This is a small pier with a few tee shirt shops and a few bars. The bars we dirty and the bathrooms stunk horrible! I think this place is better suited for some younger clientele that want to do a night out. I heard they had bands but didn't stay to listen.

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Typical beach pier extending over the ocean, full of rides, cheap shops, food and drink choices. I only spent a short time here, was simply not impressed.

1  Thank PVonthemove
Reviewed 6 September 2018

When I was a little boy, the Old Orchard Beach Pier, with its very long promenade and excellent views of the sea, sat nestled among some of the great amusements on the East coast. Noah's Ark, Jonah and The Whale, one of the world's greatest merry-go-rounds and fabulous rides surrounded the pier, where Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, Frank Sinatra, Glen Miller and Benny Goodman used to play. The pier was famous, grand, proud.
In 1968, a fire in the Noah's Ark funhouse started in the afternoon, and continued through the night, burning the Old Orchard Beach amusement park to the ground. I watched the whole thing. Thousands of us stood on the beach as Old Orchard went up in flames. It was awful. We cried.
The town of Old Orchard, short on funds and even shorter on vision, rebuilt the pier to half its former length. And then they filled the previously beautiful open ocean-viewing space with garbage shops that utterly obstruct any ocean view. Today the pier stands as sad evidence that Old Orchard, and those who run it, have no idea what they are doing.
Stand and look at the pier, with its shabby siding, its crappy shops, its peeling paint, and its utter lack of style, grace, or beauty, and you may not get any sense at all that this was once an elegant promenade where crowds strolled the evenings above the great Atlantic. The pier was at one time one of the great seaside destinations on the East coast. No more.
Today Old Orchard Beach charges 25 cents for seven minutes of parking, offers almost no decent food, and has managed to destroy any vestige of its former style and beauty. Sad to say, Old Orchard Beach now offers only one thing, a very crowded beach. The Brunswick sewage pipe runs not far enough out into the ocean, affording swimmers some nasty floaters. And the pier? The pier is just another sad piece of junk with no views of the ocean, just crappy shops on stilts.
With its perfect position overlooking Saco Bay, the Old Orchard Beach Pier could be magnificent, a real draw. But that would require a town council that cares.
Don't waste your time visiting the pier. It once was something. Now it's just a sad relic, rotting above the waves.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank ShamanCuervo
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Crowded and tacky. Fun for a quick stroll, but there's nothing there of much interest for a family with young kids. Even the worlds smallest candy store was too expensive to enjoy.

1  Thank Chalkyboo
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

We stopped by this place for some beers and snacks. Omg save your money on the snacks. We got a combo plate and steamers. The steamers were the worst I have ever had they were filled with sand. When I say filled I mean it. It was like they pulled them out of the sand and just threw them in the pot. No cleaning nothing. I ate one. That was all. My fingers from just that one looked like I had dug in the sand. I have never see that much sand in steamers before. The combo platter was very boring and nothing special. The beers were good and it was nice sitting on the pier. The waitress was very kind and felt bad about the steamers. They were kind enough to take it off my bill. I would go here again for drinks but for food go somewhere else.