“Never again!”
Review of Old Colonial Motel

Old Colonial Motel
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I have to say that I'll never come back again! After a 2 hour drive, we arrived to a very crowded parking lot and a cramped assigned parking spot. I parked, ran into the room to use the facilities and my daughter was approached by the truck owner beside us requesting to move my car in, it's too tight and HE WON'T BE ABLE TO GET OUT! I did not design this foolish parking lot. The vehicles quickly changed and were replaced by bigger ones. The F150 was a foot from my car. I could not pull out freely, i had to inch back and forth many times. I could not see around the truck as an adult came around it. I could have hit a small child or a pet. The room was older/outdated and one of the burners did not work The staff was nice and helpful and cleaned the grounds daily. There is a grill for all to use, which I took advantage of. The heated was a plus, but the pool hours are NOT POSTED and when we returned one evening after 10pm with my one yr old grandson, a LOUD FAMILY was in the pool. I asked them to quiet down. They seemed to get loaded, I went to the office to complain and there was no one there. When I returned to the pool 2 workers were at the pool to cover and close up for the night were getting yelled at by the LOUD GUESTS. I asked one of the workers when the pool closed they said 10pm. Needless to say the guests and myself had words and as I was insulted I grew angry. I do not disrespecting guests and a motel that will not enforce their rules. The guests should have been instructed to leave due to their behavior. I spent good money and feel as though there should be ample parking and quiet hours to rest after a long day of activities.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Chris M

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My friend and I had planed this wk end trip for Months and were really looking forward to just a girls, stay and some sun on the beach. I was told that we could check in at 1pm when we arrived on Friday,the room wasen't ready and were told that it would take an hour, it was almost 2

My girl friend brought her dog, and that was one of the reasons that we chose to stay there, that and the fact that we had stayed with them before years ago.

We decided to splurge a little and go for the big room that had a deck. When we saw it my heart sank,
I dont mind paying for something if I feel that Im getting My money's worth, But we felt that we were sold a bill of goods .

The room was clean and that is why we made the best of it, but the deck was awful we couldn't enjoy it.
it had a grill and hot tub, the grill was dirty and the ignitor wasen't working so you would have to lift the grate to light with a lighter that they had chained to the grill. the deck floor was dirty and covered with pieces of black carpet that needs to be thrown away, the tables were dirty and looked like they haden't been wiped down or cleaned in weeks.the chairs need to be replaced and they were dirty, The hot tub didn't even seem like and option at that point.

I waited till ckeck out to tell them about the deck, because the young man in the office on Sat was not a help he didn't understand what I was saying. but on sunday, I was told that they would look into the matter with mgt. and maybe get money back, but when I called days later I was basically told that everything was there as promised and if we didn't make use of it, they were not responsible for any refund. the pictures on the web site, are nothing like what it actually is!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Julie C
Reviewed 5 August 2013

It was great that they take dogs. We stayed in the best room. We had the deck and the hot tub, and a mini kitchen. Ck in time was 1:00pm, we did not have our room done until 2:30pm.
THe deck furnature was never wiped down clean, not the gas grill, and the hot tub was not touched for cleaning solutions. There was a very old ratty rug padding on the floor and we did not want our bare feet to touch it. The deck above us was dripping down on us in different places. When we went to the office it was a young kid that could not speak good english, so we waited until we ck'd out to complain. It was not worth the $600. for the weekend. They promised to look at our complaints and reduce our bill. Please make sure things are taken care of before you book. We are hoping they took care of these problems, someone could get hurt or worse.

Room Tip: Make them tell you how the room is updated.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Old Colonial Motel, 61 West Grand Avenue, Old Orchard Beach, Maine

We stayed at this hotel on Friday August 2, 2013 and Saturday August 3, 2013. We rented one of the last 2 rooms available when we booked.

It is in a good location, close to the amusement park, stores, events, bars, places to eat and events. The hotel abuts the beach and allows its patrons to walk from its parking lot of one –car per unit to the sand passing through some beach grass to the open beach.

Staff was mostly nice and mostly speedy. Our unit was mediocre.

The stairway up was a little steep and did not allow 2-way passage and it was not wide enough for 2 people passing one another.

The screen door would not close to latch and had no key but did have a torn screen. The main door had a lock in its door knob and a bolt above that which did not lock deep enough to dead bolt. Be careful of the clothing closet as there is an electrical cord – looking like a 16 or 18 gauge “zip” cord like those used in lamps but running from a hold at the front bottom right from below the unit to the top rear left to a hole to another unit with no use within the unit we used – I’ve seen people get shocked by such installations that could also risk a too-long run and fire.

The TV was OK but hit the wall when swung so it did not fully face the queen bed. Its remote was missing its back but the batteries were taped. All channels were in HD format but some were in 480 mode so the images were disproportionate.

The unit was fairly clean. There was debris next to the refrigerator-stove-sink combo as well as under the bathroom cabinet. Be careful of your hands on the clothes dresser as we could not get the center drawer level and back on its tracks – that can fall on your hands. The right drawer on the microwave cabinet is also not easy to open.

Tap water quality was OK but a little taste to it – we drank purified water or juice.

There are 3 cords to plug into the 2 plug receptacle between the queen bed and the window. I plugged in the fluorescent lamp so I could read in bed but had to unscrew the bulb to shut it off as there were no switches, not even in the lamp’s zip cord!

Wood, steel and other features could use a paint touch up. The one abandoned curtain rod holder at the left kitchen window beside a wall cabinet did not bother us.

We had no chairs in our narrow dead end corridor and felt unwelcome to use chairs in front of other units. We could see the pool and hot tub – they’re in the parking lot – and walked past the entrance to the exercise room but did not see the inside.

Many other places are also aged – some across the street run between the street and railroad track but those renters can walk through the Old Colonial parking lot onto the beach.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TJ S
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My Husband, Grandson and Son stayed at Old Colonial for 2 nights while visiting Old Orchard Beach. We did book kind of late so it was hard to find a place with vacancy in the area that we wanted. We found Old Colonial online and called to book our stay.
First let me say, that we are flexible people and we did not expect too much of this place but we did like the location. We stayed in the 2 room suite # 6.
When we arrived there was no place to park. The parking lot was very small and jammed packed. My husband went into the office to check us in and they assigned us a parking space that was already taken. They assigned us another space that was on the other side of the building. (They seem very disorganized)

I have posted pics to prove that I am not making this up. I am actually sorry I even have to point these things out.
When we entered our room. Our room was very clean and that was the only reason we did not leave. The blinds on the windows were broken, the kitchenette that we were told we would have, was nothing but a wooden cart with a coffee maker and a microwave on it. No sink, no table. A small fridge was in the corner by the couch.
There are shutters between the 2 rooms which is a nice concept for the A/C to be able to circulate but the slats were broken on some of them which makes it look shabby.
The bathroom was very small. I am only 5'2 and had to sit on an angle on the toilet so that my knees would not hit the sink cabinet. It was very uncomfortable for my husband and son who are tall.
The hot tub is placed right in the corner of the parking lot! I did not feel comfortable going into the hot tub next to parked cars but my grandson went in it and noticed there was sand and dirt on the bottom of it. It was really gross. Plus you have to remove the cover yourself if you want to use it. The grill was right out in the parking lot in front of our room along with a patio table. It was quite awkward to have people sitting right outside your window eating their dinner. We had to keep our blinds closed so people would stop looking into our room.
The pool was really dirty and gross! We have an in ground pool an I would love to show these people what a clean pool looks like. There was black mildew all around the liner, the coping was cracked and chipped.(see pics) There were many bugs floating it it. There is NO WAY that pool is cleaned daily! There was hardly any room to move around the so called deck.
We were not provided sheets for the futon so we had to request them. When the girl brought them to us the sheets had HOLES in them! (see pics) The blanket on our bed was so old it had worn spots that will soon be holes. (see pic)
My husband wanted to get out of there and find another place. We were only staying 2 nights so we decided to just roll with it. Like I said, it was clean in the room an that is the only reason we didn't run out of there.
We did walk up the street a bit and saw the Sea View Motel. It looks nice. We went inside and the girl at the front desk was very nice. We asked her if we could see a suite. She was happy to show us an empty suite. It was fabulous and only $50.00 more than what we paid to stay at Old Colonial dump. Our next trip to OOB will be longer and we will be staying at the Sea View.
We are easy going people and do not like to complain but this Motel is not what they appear to be on their website and brochure. The pool on the brochure looks NOTHING like the one that is there.
HONESTLY, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!!..There are many other places for the same price or price range in the same location that are much much better! The place you stay sets the tone for your trip. Other than staying here, our trip was fun! We were in walking distance to all the attractions.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Deb316400
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My family and I stayed fathers day weekend here (room #12) which overlooked the pool. The staff was very friendly, and accommodating. The room (which had a kitchenette) was clean, and the beds were comfy. We were also happy that our dog was permitted to spend some R&R with us, too! The beach was a few steps away from our room. And the Pier and amusement park were a 5 minute walk. We will return again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank sassyboo09
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed at old colonial in Sept '12. I wanted to bring my shih tzu puppy to the beach and thought this would be fun.
CONS: The room smelled and there were no other rooms available. The king size bed was hard and uncomfortable. It grossed me out. I was very uncomfortable barefoot so I kept shoes on, the shower could barely fit one person and I'm not big and was rotted. The sofa and chair were disgusting and I would not sit in those. Thank god I brought some incense along and sprayed perfume to cover the smell. The pool was dirty and so was the hot tub. It was definately over priced for the conditions of the room and motel. It needs updating really bad, at the very least paint and a really good cleaning. The staff was ok, not overly friendly but not rude. No questions at the end of my 2 night stay of how every thing was, very buisness like.
PROS: The location was great. The beach is steps away and OOB is a 5 min walk.
****You are paying for the location and that is it, the rest is gross.****

Room Tip: I don't know if there are any other rooms that would be good. Mine was a King bed room on the f...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple