“Liked it alot”

Ranked #38 of 43 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
sarahjones
“Liked it alot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2008

I had read bad reviews about the place before we went so I was expecting the worst. But since we decided to go at the last minute it is all we could get.

The staff is really friendly and my room was alot better then I was expecting for sure. It had a cute little kitchenette and all of the appliances worked. Their were 2 cute decorated couches in the living room and also two beds in the bedroom with a very pretty skylite. The bathroom was huge and clean. I read stories about how dirty the place was but I guess they did an extra great job with my room. They gave me a map and take out menus everything I needed for my short stay there it was great and so was the staff.
There was also a bar that was below our room and their was no loud music and people being loud. I have 3 children so at 9 or so I was expecting them to have a hard time sleeping because of noise but we just did not hear it.There is also a little place for breakfast attached to the hotel and also a pool as well.
My family and I would go again next year for sure.

Sarah

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — nothing
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

We booked this room last minute and boy was this a mistake! I really was not expecting anything spectacular, but this was just down right wrong. We rented a deluxe kitchen suite for one night at a cost of nearly $200.00 for the night. The entrance was alright and check in went well but it wasn't until we parked our car and began to bring our stuff up to the room that we noticed how dirty and run down this place really was. We came in thru the side entrance and the smell of musty mildew became clearly evident. As we walked up to the second floor this place just looked beat. This did not bother me as much as the problems I had when we got to our room.

Our room was pittiful to say the least. The odor coming from that room made my stomach whirl. Yes the beds were made and there were clean towels in the bathroom but other then that this place was extremely uncomfortable. The dishwasher was broken, the ac had black mold all over it, there were tons of mesquitos all over, the curtains were broken off, and the smell, again, was just of wet soggy moldy must. I don't know how else to describe this place. But the bathroom was even worse! There was hair everywhere, the toilet seat was half broken off, and there was mold on the lining of the shower curtain. We contemplated turning around and going home but my 8 year old would have been crushed. We ended up laying all the towels on the bathroom floor and just walked on them and we slept on top of the covers and did not use their pillows. I do not go anywhere without our own pillows and blankets, unless we are staying at a reputable hotel of course! I had the most awful night sleep and then we ran from there the next morning. I ended up getting sick the next day too with a cough and stuffy nose and we were eaten alive by mesqitos that night as well.

Spending $200.00 at this place for one night was a complete disgrace! Please save your money and do NOT stay here!!! I am not one to complain and this is literally the first review I have ever written, so please take my word for it that I am not just being picky, this place was truly disgusting!

• Liked — NOTHING!
  • Disliked — The room...YUCK!!!

Travellers are raving about these Old Orchard Beach hotels

Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2008

We were excited cause we booked at the last minute. We were told we would have a 2 bedroom suite on the waterfront. M building, unit 22. The place was horrible! There was pet hair all over the rug, nothing was clean, the utensils had gunk all over them, the kitchenette cabinets were sticky, the unit smelled funny, the rug in one room was damp, even damper after it rained. There were holes in the floor and in one bedroom door. The wood trim on the bathroom door was rotted out and the door wouldn't shut all the way. There was also mold in the shower and on the curtain. The couch sagged in the middle and the chair had springs falling out of it on the bottom. My husband complained and was told "Really? We've never had a complaint about that unit before" Seriously????? We stayed only one night and complained to the manager and got a partial refund for it. This place should seriously be condemned, torn down and re-built.

• Liked — leaving!
  • Disliked — the room
new hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2008

We planned our trip to Old Orchard Beach at the last minute, so we were thrilled to find a room. Since this is a beach motel, we weren't expecting anything fancy, so the dated furnishings did not bother us. What did bother us, however, were the broken bathroom window being held together with duct tape, the cobwebs and moldy caulking in the shower, and the unusual odor throughout the room. We were on the 3rd floor near the stairs, but with the air conditioning running, noise was not an issue, even when the train went by (although the beds did seem to shake). The pool seemed nice but we found broken glass on the bottom and had to alert the office...there were several children in the pool at the time. After leaving the room at approximately 10:00am, we spent the day out and about, returning by 7:30pm only to find our room was never cleaned. The only thing the cleaning people did was remove our used towels...the didn't replace them with clean ones, didn't make the beds, didn't empty the trash. Also, when we first checked in, I had to wipe down the little table in our room to get rid of the crumbs left there by a previous guest. When we complained about the cleaning people to the staff in the office, we were told to just not leave a tip. My husband had to wait for them to finish drying towels and washcloths so we would have some to use the next morning. Not a pleasant stay!

• Liked — The on-site cafe was very good.
  • Disliked — The room was rundown and dirty.
New England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2008

We were able to get 4 rooms on short notice - someone must have cancelled. We had a great time. we arrived early on a Sat in July 9:45 A.M. - rooms were ready so they allowed us to check in. There were 11 people in our party. 2 grandmas, 2 families and 4 kids. The service was excellent. Great place for breakfast. Restaurant small but OH the food!!! If you are looking for a Maine Old Orchard Beach vacation - a great place. If you're looking for the Ritz - go somewhere else. My family has been going to Old Orchard Beach for about 30 years and this was one of the most uncomplicated fun vacations. We had a great time. I can't say .enough good things about Grand Beach.
From The Farr Family

• Liked — Our family was able to get 4 rooms together with each 2 connecting
northern maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

Grand beach inn is a quiet place very close to the famous old orchard beach pier that runs along a 7 miles beach people are very nice there and the parking is geat we have been going there for the last 3 years and it kepps getting better everytime we go. i would recommend this place to anyone that may want a little quieter location that is right outside of town about a 5 min ride.

• Liked — very affordable
  • Disliked — parking is kinda cramped
Leominster, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

We stayed here over the fourth of July weekend, and had a good time. Like a previous reviewer, we had a suite next to the stairs, however we didn't hear anybody "thundering up and down the stairs" so either they fixed the problem or it isn't that bad. And considering it was July Fourth weekend, with lots of drunk people up at all hours of the night, if something was going to be heard, we would have heard it!

The hotel is definitely dated. There's green carpeting, and the furniture is the kind you bought at K-Mart in the 1980s and assembled yourself. But that being said, it was very clean, and basically met expectations. The cafe on site served great coffee. We didn't have a full meal there but what was being served looked good.

The pool is nice, although overrun with kids, but was a good change from the cold water of the atlantic.

A trolley stops nearby to bring you into the center of town, but we walked it multiple times a day, and it wasn't too far (and I had just pulled a muscle in my calf earlier that weekend and was hobbling, so if it was really far, I would have complained about walking!).

So, if you can get past the 80s decor, or as long as you go in expecting such a dated-looking room, you won't have much to complain about.

• Liked — the kitchenette, the pool
  • Disliked — the green carpeting and cheap furniture
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple