“Absolute Filth!”

The Grand Beach Inn
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I recently booked two nights at the grand beach inn as a Mother's Day present for my mom. We went up to Maine for a girls trip and I was really looking forward to it. The pictures and reviews of the property online looked great, I assumed the low price was due to it being the off season. I was severely wrong.
I guess it's not really accurate to say we stayed here, since upon arrival, we knew this room was not suitable for anyone and quickly booked another room, at a cleaner nicer hotel, an inconvenience and added expense I wish we didn't have to go through.
I had requested that we be on the bottom floor since my mom has health issues, upon arrival we were given a second floor room, there was no elevator and it was not feasible for my mom to walk up two flights of stairs each time we came to and from the room. I went to the office and the girl working the counter was outside smoking (very unprofessional) and had to unlock the office door while I waited outside.
I explained that we did in fact need a room on the first floor. She was able to accommodate us, placing us in room number 35.
We spent a total of ten minutes in this room. To call it dirty would be glorifying it, this room was absolutely FILTHY. I've never in my life seen a hotel room like this. Upon investigation, we noticed the horrifying details of this room:
-stained carpet
-the bottom of the fridge was lined with a thick layer of mold
-the mirrors clearly had not been cleaned, as there were water marks and toothpaste spatters all over.
-the back of the bathroom door was smeared with toothpaste
- in the corner behind the bathroom door was a pile of dead bugs.

Now mind you, we did not open the beds or investigate any further, so heaven knows what we would find if we had.

When I went back to the office, I was greeted with a note that said "walking around property, be back shortly". The door was locked and the front desk attendant was no where to be found. I rang the bell and knocked on the door to no avail. Finally my mom seeing all this, grabbed the brochure and her cell phone and called the office. Only to find out the girl had been in there the whole time, ignoring me! She said "oh yeah now I see her".
I explained to her that we would not be staying because it was unacceptable and dirty. No other accommodations were even attempted to be made. She simply said "I'll make a note of it".

If you are thinking of staying at the grand beach inn, do yourself a favor and stay far far away! Especially if you value any amount of cleanliness or customer service.

• Stayed: May 2014
9  Thank Lbordeau

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited this hotel about 2 weeks ago. The rooms aren't new but they are very and clean and I was pleased at how the staff was nice to us. We met the manager briefly and he insured us a great stay and if anything went wrong that the staff would take care of it immediately. We found the room to have an old but still classy look to it. We enjoyed our weekend very much. The hotel is about 15 min from downtown oob where there is a lot of excitement. Honestly the prices were affordable and overall we had a great time....and will visit again very soon and encourage anyone to visit The Grand Beach Inn.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank j_gonzalez0628
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed one night on NYE so we could attend a nearby party. I read mixed reviews beforehand, so wasn't sure what to expect. We got a 'deluxe balconey with kitchenette'. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and spacious. Some of the furniture was a little dated, but it had a quirky charm. This isn't the Sheraton. It's an older, probably family-run business, and I'm guessing some of the appliances (TVs, stove, etc ) are recycled. And occassionally you'll notice a some 'diy' fixes around the place. But if you know what to expect, that this a smaller non-corporate run business with some dated aspects, you'll be satisfied. The staff are very friendly.

Room Tip: I think the more updated romos are 1 through 15.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Visited this hotel about a month ago. The rooms are not brand new but they are nice and clean, i was surprised how the staff was nice to us. We met the manager he got us a brand new TV because we had problem with the one in our room, we didn't want a new one but he insisted. The hotel is about 10 min of walk from downtown,it s a quiet part of OOB, the beach across the hotel is clean and much nicer than the one by the pier. The prices were affordable and overall we had a great time....and will visit again!

Room Tip: Rooms from number 04 to 20 are the best pick.Very clean and updated.
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Room was comfortable.
Staff were extremely friendly.
Value for money is just brilliant.
Close to the beach and has swimming pool (which was a little green and cold in October).
Would return though if ever back in the USA.
Maine is a wonderful place too, make sure you take time to explore it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed at the Grand Beach Inn this weekend for a short overnight trip with a friend. First I should say that my friend checked us in and out so I had no contact with the staff. I can only speak to the room, no the service. The room was clean, very old furniture, tv, kitchen, etc., but clean. But....the smell in the room was terrible. I think it was simply that everything was so old that mildew or mold had built up. We left the window and balcony door open when we went to dinner hoping it would air out, but no luck. Had we been planning to stay for more than one night we absolutely would have left. I don't consider myself particularly sensitive to smells, but it was really a strong odor. I also have to say that we did not ask to move. We decided it was just one night and we would deal with it. We would not return.....

1  Thank sbloom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I looked high and low for great rates (which I did find here) for connecting rooms with a full kitchen. I also thought this hotel was on the beach and it is not (it is across the street, the beach was going to be a bonus, it was not on my must have list). One was not ready when we checked in, which was fine, we were only using the second room to sleep. However, when we reached our clean room, the stove in which we planned to cook in that evening was dirty and the dishwasher was full of dirty dishes. I went down to ask the front desk for dishwasher detergent so I could run the dishes through and to ask if housekeeping could take care of the stove. I was told by the girl behind the desk that if she could find housekeeping, she would tell them. She also told me that dishes were washed with Palmolive and a sponge and did our room have those? I was shocked that she was implying that I could hand wash dirty dishes that were not dishes that I myself dirtied. Needless to say, the dishes stayed in the dishwasher as they were found for the remainder of our stay. I'm glad we brought everything we needed from cutting boards, to cookie sheets, and paper plates, and plastic cups. Some time after 4 pm, housekeeping knocked on the door and told us that our other room was ready. She graciously took care of the stove for us (we could tell she was being over worked and felt bad to ask her to do even more - and left her what we hope she found as a nice tip). The "full kitchen" as described in the room description on the website was what I would call a kitchenette. Everything was mini. If we didn't have the second room with the same sized mini-fridge, we wouldn't have had room for all of our food. Don't count on getting a fridge pack of soda in the fridge no matter which way you turn the box. The room size, and the beds were adequate. The heater in one room did not work. Did I mention the check in lady told me that our second room wasn't ready yet as it was "only five minutes of three" (though the clock behind her read 2:59). I just found her rude and defensive instead of accommodating and friendly. I reported the heat problem when I checked out. Hopefully it was fixed for the next guests. The only other issue was the overpowering smell of carpet fresh. Luckily it was warm enough outside when the sun was up to open the outside doors and let in some fresh air. There are so many places to stay in OOB, and I'm really wishing I had read through these reviews prior to my choosing the Grand Beach. Ultimately, it's the front desk service that disappointed me the most.

4  Thank Heidi D