I recently booked two nights at the grand beach inn as a Mother's Day present for my mom. We went up to Maine for a girls trip and I was really looking forward to it. The pictures and reviews of the property online looked great, I assumed the low price was due to it being the off season. I was severely wrong.
I guess it's not really accurate to say we stayed here, since upon arrival, we knew this room was not suitable for anyone and quickly booked another room, at a cleaner nicer hotel, an inconvenience and added expense I wish we didn't have to go through.
I had requested that we be on the bottom floor since my mom has health issues, upon arrival we were given a second floor room, there was no elevator and it was not feasible for my mom to walk up two flights of stairs each time we came to and from the room. I went to the office and the girl working the counter was outside smoking (very unprofessional) and had to unlock the office door while I waited outside.
I explained that we did in fact need a room on the first floor. She was able to accommodate us, placing us in room number 35.
We spent a total of ten minutes in this room. To call it dirty would be glorifying it, this room was absolutely FILTHY. I've never in my life seen a hotel room like this. Upon investigation, we noticed the horrifying details of this room:
-the bottom of the fridge was lined with a thick layer of mold
-the mirrors clearly had not been cleaned, as there were water marks and toothpaste spatters all over.
-the back of the bathroom door was smeared with toothpaste
- in the corner behind the bathroom door was a pile of dead bugs.
Now mind you, we did not open the beds or investigate any further, so heaven knows what we would find if we had.
When I went back to the office, I was greeted with a note that said "walking around property, be back shortly". The door was locked and the front desk attendant was no where to be found. I rang the bell and knocked on the door to no avail. Finally my mom seeing all this, grabbed the brochure and her cell phone and called the office. Only to find out the girl had been in there the whole time, ignoring me! She said "oh yeah now I see her".
I explained to her that we would not be staying because it was unacceptable and dirty. No other accommodations were even attempted to be made. She simply said "I'll make a note of it".
If you are thinking of staying at the grand beach inn, do yourself a favor and stay far far away! Especially if you value any amount of cleanliness or customer service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Beach Inn provides spacious accommodations with direct access to 7 miles of sandy beach. We offer deluxe rooms and suites with fully equipped kitchens, private balconies, air conditioning, heat, extended cable television, telephones and much more. Located in the most beautiful section of Old Orchard, you'll enjoy the finest beach in Maine. Take a relaxing stroll along the waters edge to the town center where you will find the famous Old Orchard Pier, Palace Playland amusement park, along with many shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Grand Beach Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Beach Hotel Old Orchard Beach
- Grand Beach Old Orchard
- The Grand Beach Inn Old Orchard Beach, Maine