“Average Hotel, Poor Service”

The Grand Beach Inn
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Reviewed 19 July 2009

First let me say, don't fly Northwest-Delta Airlines. People are RUDE. Ticket agents are smug. They Overbook the flights even if you bought tickets six months in advance, you can and will be put on stand-by and left to beg strangers for seats on a flight you already paid for. I have small children, and this airline forced me to beg strangers to give up their seat so I could sit with my own children. And you anal retentive people who wont give up a very tiny seat, to sit in one seat (behind or in front) of a seat that you are already sitting in? really?? Get a life! My 5 year old has better manners.
Grand Beach Inn. Sounds like a nice place. I can't say that and look at the web site without laughing. The pictures were probably taken when the place first opened 100 years ago. Everything is completely run down. Too many stains and bad 70's style decor to mention. One upgrade is the cable tv and some newer (cheap) tv monitors. But who really comes to OOB to watch tv anyway? My family stayed here for a week. It was ok I guess. People seemed to be nice, not too much noise for the "on season" We had to get a room on the 3rd floor. This is really bad. They need to get an elevator system because going up and down those stairs is hard. All the kids (not just mine) would drag their bags and hit every step on the way down, every time they would go in or out. and slam the door too! I'm going to have nightmares for a month about that banging noise. Service to the room was bad. We stayed a week, and the staff only brought clean towls daily. They did not sweep the floors, change the bedding or do any general cleaning of any kind. The staff would always come early in the morning to drop off towls and so we had to ask on a daily basis if they could please come back after noon so we could all have a chance to get in the shower and get cleaned up. When we realized they weren't sweeping the floor at all, we started asking them if they could please do so after noon. In 7 days they only did this twice. We found one very nice person who spoke English and she was the person who seemed to understand what we were asking and is probably the only reason the room was cleaned those two days. They never cleaned the toilet or the bathtub. They were a mess from the time we got there until we left. When we had some people stay with us for a night, we asked the staff to please bring some extra towls. They never did. We ended up asking another staff member who was giving us directions on how to use the coffee machine, but then gave us instant coffee that couldn't be used in the machine? He later dropped by to give us these two dirty looking towls that didn't look like hotel towls at all. We never used them. I have stayed in many hotels, I say this one is average because it really served it's purpose. I had a place to sleep, there wasn't a lot of noise, and we had good time over all. The thing it lacks is service. I have nothing against people who can't speak the language, but when you work in any job and it deals with customer service, I think you should, at the very least, try to understand what someone is saying or find someone who can help you understand.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Grand Beach Inn

Reviewed 17 July 2009

I took a hockey team to play in the Lobsterfest in Portland, ME. I could have stayed in Portland but wanted a place where the kids and parents could have more fun. We opted to stay at Old Orchard Beach. I checked all the motels on the strip and the Grand Beach Inn was simply the best. Sara who handles groups was simply amazing. She got us great rates and even did welcome baskets for the kids (no easy task for a dozen 11 & 12 year olds). The boys loved them. We brought in ten familes and they had no problem with more than 20 kids many under 12. We had rooms with full kitchens (which help keep the food cost down) and a couple of us with bigger families took the larger suites (two rooms and a kitchen with a queen pull out couch, and queen beds). It was very comfortable and very roomy. I had 2 teenage daughters and my niece along with my wife and my son in the room and it worked great. The Grand View is at the opposite end of the Pier which was a good thing for us as the beach (right across the street ) was quieter and nicer. The Pier (seaside boardwalk with rides and shops) was a mile away ( a good walk) but with the trolley that runs hourly I heard no complaints. You are never sure when you deal with a non chain motels. I did see some questionable reviews and so I talked with Sara and even did a ride up before to be sure our team would be welcomed. Sara and her staff was amazing. They made sure we were together and with its own little resturant on property it made last minute breakfasts and quick meals easy for a team on the go. If you are looking for a clean, team friendly place with great rates and an even better staff the Grand Beach Inn is my pick. 4 stars for fun and value.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Came for the Jacuzzi which was BROKEN after the Inn promised it would be fixed before our arrival. When I arrived the room was not ready. Repairmen were still working on fixing these broken down units. What a waste of money.

Patio had broken lock with no chain. Repairmen entered the room while we were sleeping. The main desk promised to call us but did not.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank savvy11
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We ended up staying in two different rooms and the first one was tolerable but the second one was so bad that we left. We opened the door to the room and were assaulted by the smell of cat pee. I have no idea why a motel room would reek of cat pee but it was so strong that we turned around and left. The people at the front desk were so nice and gave us a refund which was surprising. Moral of the story is nice people, nasty hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wifey0709
Reviewed 31 March 2009

This was our first trip to Maine and the hotel will not deter us from returning. Our room was clean when we arrived but the sand from all of my children's treasures from the beach was never vaccumed. I loved the privacy of the balcony. The pool was peeling, and the cafe was not open because they were cleaning the carpets (at 9:00am?). I would think they could do the carpets at a different time. The hotel was so close to the water and the receptionist helped in finding a restaurant. We had plenty of towels but friends of ours had to borrow some because they were told all the laundry was dirty. They also had a full trash can in their kitchen when they arrived.
We will stay at a different hotel this summer.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2008

We were making our way down the coast with our kids the weekend after Labor Day and decided to try Old Orcard Beach. We just drove down the "strip" and randomly picked this motel. We got an awsome rate $65.00 for what it was. This is an old motel but the room was very clean. Breakfast in the little coffee shop at the motel the next mornig was awsome. It was a quick walk across the street to the Beach. Nice Basic & Clean

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 27 August 2008

I had read bad reviews about the place before we went so I was expecting the worst. But since we decided to go at the last minute it is all we could get.

The staff is really friendly and my room was alot better then I was expecting for sure. It had a cute little kitchenette and all of the appliances worked. Their were 2 cute decorated couches in the living room and also two beds in the bedroom with a very pretty skylite. The bathroom was huge and clean. I read stories about how dirty the place was but I guess they did an extra great job with my room. They gave me a map and take out menus everything I needed for my short stay there it was great and so was the staff.
There was also a bar that was below our room and their was no loud music and people being loud. I have 3 children so at 9 or so I was expecting them to have a hard time sleeping because of noise but we just did not hear it.There is also a little place for breakfast attached to the hotel and also a pool as well.
My family and I would go again next year for sure.

Sarah

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)