“Customer Service lacking”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Augusta, Maine
“Customer Service lacking”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Not one staff member asked if I had been there before. I was not invited to the wine/cheese reception in the evening, nor told about any features the facility had. Upon departure I was not asked how I enjoyed my stay - apparently nobody cares at that facility.

Room Tip: avoid rooms with lower numbers which are closer to the highway and further away from the one elevato...
Green Features: cards give directions regarding linens and washing to save energy. However, the K-cups coffee makers produce a lot of waste as do the packets containing sugar,creamer, and sugar-sub. If you open it for one item, the rest is tossed into the garbage.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
thpalmer3, Front Office Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry you were disappointed with your stay. We have signs telling guests about our Wine and Cheese Reception from 5 to 6 pm each evening and all of our registered guests are invited. We use the signs as a back up in case it slips the Guest Service Agents mind at check in. We try very hard to remember to tell everyone, but on occasion we do forget. We do care and we do strive to make our guests feel welcome. I apologize that this was not the case for you. Thank you for making us aware so we can fix this. Take Care.

Amanda D. Schmidt
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
yarmouth, United States
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My family of Six stayed this weekend for my sons Graduation at UMaine Orono. We rented out the Suite and had a great experience. The people at the front the desk were fantastic. We arrived at 5pm on Friday and complimentary cookies and wine were waiting for us after a long drive. Dog friendly was awesome because Teddy is part of our family and he was welcome with open arms literally.

Room Tip: For a big family the Suite was great.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
thpalmer3, Front Office Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us. We appreciate that you took time to write a review, this is very helpful. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay in our Family Suite. We are glad to know we made an exciting weekend comfortable and pleasant for you and your family. We are so happy that Teddy was able to join you all as well. Take care and thank you again!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I would URGE visitors to the area to stay at the Black Bear Inn & Conference Center.
• It is comfortable, charming and a great value.
• The staff strive to make sure you have a good experience.
• The BBI & CC is a MUCH better hotel than other properties at which I have stayed in the Bangor area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
thpalmer3, Front Office Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. We really appreciate you feedback and support. We are happy you enjoyed your time with us and found our staff helpful. We look forward to your next stay with us. Take care and thank you again.

Connecticut, USA
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Staff was extremely helpful and courteous. Location great for University of Maine, and a reasonable alternative to Bangor hotels. The rooms are large and clean, with a charming "cabin" decor. The room was clean and spacious.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
thpalmer3, Front Office Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. We are happy you found our staff Friendly and courteous. We appreciate our guests very much. We are glad you found our rooms spacious and enjoyed our Cabin like decor. Take Care and Thanks again. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had a great stay. The room was clean, spacious, and very comfortable, with a large flat screen TV. The location was convenient to UMaine, and the staff was welcoming and helpful. My daughter loved snuggling with the black bear, and the price was terrific!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
thpalmer3, Front Office Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and for staying with us. We are so happy you enjoyed your time here. That is great that you found us friendly and affordable. We are happy you enjoyed our new flat screen TV's and that your daughter enjoyed cuddling with the black bear teddy! Take care and thank you again.

Durham, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 April 2014

If you need to be in Orono for University of Maine, you can't beat the location of this hotel. The rooms are charming with the bear themed styles and the beds are comfortable. The staff is always friendly and helpful. My one criticism is that the restaurant never seems to be open. We've stayed here three times and it's never been open, not even for room service which is unfortunate because after a long day of driving to get there the last thing you want to do is get in the car and drive to find food. Also there are no gluten free options for the free continental breakfast. However if you need to stay in the area, this is a lovely option to get away from the chain hotels.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
thpalmer3, Front Office Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review. We very much appreciate your feedback. We are so happy you found our hotel charming and conveniently located. I'm sorry our Cafe has not been open for dinner when you have been here. This is unfortunate as we have an excellent Chef. I am not sure what has happened for it not to be open. It is usually open Mon-Sat. from 5 pm to 8 pm for dinner or room service. We will certainly look into gluten free options for our breakfast, I thought we had some gluten free cereals to offer, but maybe haven't ordered them yet. Thank you again for staying. Take Care.

Mansfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I wanted to like this place. Great location, right off the highway, and very close to UMaine where my son will be attending. We had a second floor room and didn't sleep at all. Whoever was staying in the room above ours was very noisy. They seemed to be walking around from midnight to 4am, and I heard every step, with occasionally loud thunking noises. I travel with a white moise machine too, so I was suprised this was such an issue. I thought about getting up in the middle of thie night and begging for another room, but my son did manage to fall asleep and I didn't want to ruin everyone's night. We also were not happy with the breakfast and went to Dunkin on the way to the university.

But, the staff was friendly and the location was great. If my room was quiet I'm sure my review would be quite different.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
thpalmer3, Front Office Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry to hear that you did not get a good night's sleep. If you give us another chance please request a room on the 3rd floor and the parking lot side. I have been told these rooms are much quieter. The highway side is noisy for light sleepers. We are happy to hear you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is always helpful. This helps us to know the area's we are doing well on and the one's that we need to improve on. Take Care.

Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orono
The Country Inn at the Mall
Best Western White House Inn
Bangor Inn & Suites
Bangor Inn & Suites
#5 of 26 in Bangor

Been to Black Bear Inn and Conference Center? Share your experiences!