“something for everyone” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Owls Head Transportation Museum

Owls Head Transportation Museum
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Owls Head
More attraction details
Owner description: Featuring a world-class, operating collection of antique ground vehicles, engines and aircraft the Owls Head Transportation Museum is open seven days a week, year-round. Exhibits include "Faster: The Quest for Speed" featuring racing vehicles from some of New England's premiere collections. Visit to see the collection or plan to attend one of our fantastic summer events where collection pieces are demonstrated for the public.
Boston
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“something for everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I'll be honest, I was NOT looking forward to coming here. I have about zero interest in cars, trucks, engines, or planes. I mainly went because my five year old boy loves all those things. However, this museum makes even the most ambivalent attendee interested (and my kid was absolutely enthralled). There are working displays and active restorations of cars and trucks and planes, you can ride in old cars, you can watch the planes being worked on and even flown, there are plenty of people who know SO MUCH about the individual machines here, and the setup is simple yet informative. The vehicles and are beautifully restored, you can tell how much love has gone into the exhibits. From a design/art/history perspective, it's amazing as well. I highly recommend this for anyone - you will find something that interests you for sure. Vintage car and plane lovers should not miss this.

Milford, New Hampshire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“OLD TRUCK SHOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

THIS WAS more than I expected. I have been to old truck shows before but this was much more, the museum has power, flight, racing, bicycles, fire trucks, wagons and much more

Waterbury, Connecticut
“Fantastic place to come see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were in Owls Head to visit a local boat builder and he suggested we see Owls Head and he was right, We were there for a vintage plane show and since I work at Pratt & Whitney I was in second heaven...real close to first. It was fantastic, music , planes, old cars and food. What a way to spend a summer day. We are going back to Maine next week and Owls head is high on the list...top, of where I want to visit again.

Visited August 2013
montreal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great Museum! Check schedule!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This was a great museum, maybe would be better in a large group since there are demonstrations, a lot of working displays.. ( but no one was there for us) it was quiet when we went.
However, we were taken out for a ride in the model T by a super nice guy volunteer(didn't get his name), and Bob in the aviation garage was super informative and friendly. Thanks.
A very cool museum for a car & plane aficionado.

Derry, New Hampshire
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Worth a visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stopped in on a rainy Saturday morning-- and stayed for about 4 hours. The museum's website made the place sound good, yet my expectations were exceeded when I got in the door.

The staff is very personable and accommodating, and are genuinely interested in the subject matter.

A lot of the stuff there is run-- We caught an exhibition where they started up a replica 1895 Benz. It was fascinating to see that old 1 cylinder Benz chugging away! While the weather precluded it, I understand that they routinely fly the planes the have, too.

The museum is pretty much all about land and air transportation-- there are no ship or boat exhibits to speak of. (If you want that, head to the Maritime Museum in Bath.)

They have a terrific collection of old cars - and I understand that they do a lot of special exhibitions and events. so there is always something new to see.

This was well worth the admission price, IMO, though I suspect young kids may get bored long before the adults.