“Now a family tradition” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Remsen, New York
“Now a family tradition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was our 2nd year at Eighth Maine, and it's now become our family tradition. Peak's Island is a treasure unto itself, and the accommodations here fit in perfectly with the easy going, relaxed vacation we enjoy.
As you'll read in other recent reviews, there's been a change in management. I had no problems with the old management, but there have been noticeable improvements made. The ladies' bathroom/shower room was upgraded, & they have the softest towels. The new people were very pleasant and helpful. It shows that they're interested in keeping the true spirit of the place while making it more comfortable for guests.
Give this wonderful, unusual building a try. Granted, it's not for everyone, but it's a really great place to stay.

Room Tip: Room #1 (2 twins & 1 double) was a nice room, but it's right next to the stairs. While we ha...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CentralNY0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

5 Stars for the right type of travelers. Coming from the West Coast, we've never experienced any Civil War era places. Staying here is definitely fascinating.

As the other reviewers already noted, the rules are very unusual for a typical hotel. Slightly annoying not to sip wine in common areas, but the uniqueness of this special spot more that make up for it.

Consider it more of a local museum with a hostel in it and appreciate that an ocean view for $125 a night is a special find.

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights and loved the Eighth Marine and Peaks Island. Glad we left the car in Portland, rented bikes and kayaked to lunch at Diamond Cove (3.5hr RT). We moved to Room 9 in the Tower the 2nd night for the fanciest of the views, but all of the rooms are fine.

Hoping we have the chance to come back again!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bonnie W
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

If you prefer isolation, central A/C, dull decor, and predictable experiences this isn't the place for you to stay. It is charming and rustic, and an interesting blend of hostel/bed and breakfast. You have your own well-appointed room but share dining and bathrooms with other guests. Kitchen space is allocated for you to keep and prepare your own meals, which can be enjoyed in the company of other guests. The view was undeniably the best thing about my stay, and being able to hear the waves crashing ashore throughout the night was heavenly.
The hosts were maybe a bit overbearing at times, but it was easy to excuse myself for solitude. I would have preferred to be able to take my evening wine and cheese snack to the porch to enjoy the view, but understood that I was privileged to be able to stay in this museum and the limitations that presents.
The value is in the unique experience and the awesome view. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the location can't be beat if you are looking for shore-side accommodations, and if you are patient enough, you may just learn a little history along the way!
A short walk from the inn will take you to the ferry landing for dinner, souvenir shopping, or a short ride to the city center.

Room Tip: Lower level rooms require a trek through the dining room and museum up two flights of stairs for a s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Donna W
Standish, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

If you are from out- of -state and looking for something 'somewhat' different, do not come to Maine expecting your standard 'canned' hotel experience with a light touch of "Maine". For that coastal experience there is the Marriott in Marblehead, Massachusetts. If you want to truly 'see' Maine and interact with its people; walk their walk, see reflection of present and past; to take a deep dive into Maine's eclectic history, first, spend a week or two on Peaks and second, stay a few nights at the 8th Maine Regiment.

I come from a well established (pre- 1700's) Family of Casco Bay Islands (Where Peaks is a part, as well as Cliff, Long, Chebeage, Diamond, Cushing etc) with very rich history.

As a small girl growing up with my " Post World War I,II Generation" Island family on Peaks, staying at the 8th Maine in room 101 was like sleeping in my great grandmother Hazel's bedroom in my grandmother's house on the island- truly locked in time in around 1920.

My grandmother Leatrice's mantra was for wayfarers from around the world: " the front door is always unlocked and a stranger is simply a friend I have not yet met."

So, like my grandmothers 'open' door rule- grab a backpack, and maybe a golf cart, ride up to the 8th Maine with friends and enjoy the very antique ocean side atmosphere.

You won't be alone. The island includes the 300 year collective energy of millions of happy humans who have stepped foot on the Island and you instantly feel their presence when you step foot off the boat.

Remember , this is a museum with a caretaker, not as much a B and B, but a classic place for veterans of the past. The kitchen, the games, the community amenities are designed for "people to gather and meet" and that is just what it delivers.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank BJMacVane
Windham, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have come to the Eighth Maine for many years and love the island. In reading the last reviews as I was planning our vacation They made me very wary. I have come to find out that the Memorial has undergone a major management change and is now run (day to day) by a New Host Mike Langella. i would say it is a complete turn around in customer relations that have been mentioned in other reviews. If you search around for places stay on the island you can not compare the views the Eighth Maine has right outside it window. for those who have come in the past I suggest you come back. If you are a person who likes history It is all around you. If you just need a place to sleep while you take in the island this is a great place for price and location. if you are looking for a 5 star hotel with all of the extra features I would suggest The Inn on the Peaks. But if you want to capture what it was like to to be on the island before TV, cellphones and other technology I would give the new Eight Maine Regiment a try. Slow down and take in the sea air and breathe.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
8 Thank rusticatlor
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I like roughing it and this place was right up my alley. Peaks Island is fun. My only complaint is there are way too many rules that degrade the quality of your stay. The caretaker would follow guests around to make sure everyone was following the rules. He even follows people into the bathrooms. He seemed to annoyed at having to attend to guests and probably is not suited to be an innkeeper. Dick Adams is charming but at some point you want to be left alone to enjoy your visit and he didn't seem to get the non-verbal clues.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank rman04554
Connecticut ,UNITET STATES
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

This would have been an amazing place to stay, but unfortunately it is run by some very strange people. When I arrived there was no one there to check us in, actually my niece showed me and my husband where our room was. Right then and there I thought that this was very strange. We then found ourselves having a great time, even feeding an elderly man who was left by himself to check in all 23 of my family members. Then at midnight when the innkeeper and his SO CALLED lady friend (somewhat intoxicated) finally arrived, they wanted to know who we all were. That's funny, because they booked us all rooms! They were very rude and made us feel very UNWELCOME! It is really a shame because this would have been a most memorable weekend for all us. Instead, we couldn't wait to leave that place and it did have a beautiful view. But unfortunately the keepers were nuts! Stay away!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else on the Island because it is beautiful.
Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 19 in Portland
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,267 reviews
The Westin Portland Harborview
Portland Regency Hotel & Spa

Been to The 8th Maine? Share your experiences!