While we very much enjoyed the locale and scenic beauty of Peaks Island, which is a charming, lovely, peaceful place to enjoy a family vacation, unfortunately we had a rather disappointing experience at Woodsea Place, which has only grown more distressing and unfortunate since we left.
When we moved into the house, it was not cleaned properly, despite the fact that a cleaning crew had (supposedly) been sent to clean the place beforehand. The floors and tabletops were covered with a layer of grime and dust. Since my 2-year-old niece was with us, and spends a lot of time playing on the floor, we had to vacuum and mop all of the floors and tabletops ourselves. We, as a family, have rented many houses over the years, and this has never happened before. The bathtubs also needed additional cleaning.
Also, the propane tank for the grill was empty, and there was no spare tank available, despite the fact that the Homeowner's manual claimed there would be a spare tank, if the main tank was empty. Suffice to say, we were unable to grill anything for the first 3 days of our stay. Which was very disappointing, because in the Summertime, we love to grill our dinner, pretty much every night.
The most bizarre incident took place on our 2nd or 3rd day, when my mother used the Convection Oven to warm up a scone. After a couple of minutes, the oven began to erupt smoke, and the front pane shattered. We had no idea why this happened. An oven in good repair doesn't simply explode for no reason. We simply thanked our lucky stars that our 2-year-old was not close by when this happened, or she could've been seriously injured.
In any case, soon after we moved out, we attempted several times to contact the Homeowner, to ask about the status of our $500 deposit. All of our inquiries were ignored. It took over a month (more like 6 weeks, to be exact) to hear back from the Homeowner, who sent a very cold, rather hostile email, indicating that since we "ruined" their oven, and they had to buy a new one and dispose of the old one, we would not be getting any of our deposit back.
The rather unfriendly and often nasty email also stated that as house guests, we fell below their standards. We were utterly mystified by this response, and also, to be honest, very offended. Considering the state of uncleanliness that greeted us when we moved in, the lack of a propane tank for the grill, and the oven incident, it seemed incredibly strange, not to mention rude, that we were being treated as if we were "bad guests".
Before signing off, I shall reiterate the following points:
1) Ovens in good working order do not simply explode. If this oven was so sensitive a machine, perhaps there should've been a note or warning to this effect, so as not to endanger the well-being of small, helpless children.
2) If one is to pay $1500 for a week's stay in a home, the house should absolutely be clean prior to a tenant's moving in. Tenants should not have to clean the house when they move in, to make it livable. If there is a gas grill on the premises for guest use, there should be gas available to make aforementioned grill operational.
3) Tenants should not be ignored or treated so rudely by Homeowners. Do not simply ignore your guest's request for information about a deposit. Do not wait 6 weeks before responding in a cold and rude manner.
I will never, ever do business with these people again. They have tainted the otherwise lovely memories we have of our vacation together on Peak's Island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Get away from it all! On a secluded and wooded one and a half acres you will be able to relax on the porch and enjoy the birds and unbelievable birch and maples trees. One block from the ocean you can sit on the beach and watch the sailboats go by; you can go kayaking for the day; take a stroll around the island; or ferry over to Freeport and Portland for a day of shopping or theatre. This log home will give you all the modern amenities you can ask for while at the same time you will bask in the ambience of an authentic log home in the woods. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Woodsea Place Peaks Island, Maine