“Great room and delicious food”

and 1 more site!
The Inn on Peaks Island
Ranked #2 of 3 Peaks Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We have eaten at the Inn quite a few times in the past but spent a weekend for the first time in May. The rooms are very spacious and charming and it is a great location from which to explore the island - just a short walk from the ferry dock. However, because the Inn is so near to the ferry and at the center of all Island activity, I found that it tends to be noisy if you have a room at the front of the hotel, as I did. If you plan to sleep in, one of the rooms at the back of the Inn may be a better choice. Some of those rooms also have the advantage of a large deck area.

The food at the Inn has been uniformly excellent during all of my visits. We have enjoyed clam chowder, Greek salad (huge), the haddock sandwich, fired haddock dinner, and, of course, lobster rolls.

Rooms are expensive during peak season but reasonable during the off season. We enjoyed the Inn and would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank dannyo62003

Reviewed 14 May 2012

I recently surprised my husband with a two night stay at the Inn on Peaks Island. The decor was charming, and cottage-like. It was pretty, and clean. The jacuzzi tub was extremely enjoyable as was the cathedral ceiling and fireplace. The bed could have been softer, with more covers, and a softer mattress. The t.v was small, and almost hard to see from the couch area, and bed. But the dvd player worked so we were able to bring movies. The biggest complaint that we saw is that there is canned music playing until about 11p.m. that you can hear from the restaurant below. Then at 7am the voices in the hall (maids) woke us up. There was definitely no extra rest, which would have been nice. The ferry was great and fairly inexpensive, and we spent the day in Portland shopping. We did find that at the time of the year there was not a lot going on at the island. There was a bike rental place which looked fun but it wasn't open early on Sunday morning. We did enjoy getting a few groceries at the local market, and the pizza was pretty yummy too. The inn is pricey in season, but for an April getaway it was definitely a unique experience that we will always remember!

Room Tip: Ask for an end room with a view of the water.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsMFarmingdale_ME
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Inn on Peaks also offers a wonderful "Pub" to gather at on weekends over the winter months and daily during the late spring,summer and fall months. A gathering place for islanders on Friday nights. Service is friendly and the staff is always accomdating to patrons wishes. The specials are varied and interesting. It is only a 17 minute ferry ride from Portland and you will enjoy a good meal, ferry ride across Casco Bay and incredible sunsets over Portland.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We spent Thanksgiving weekend at the Inn. At first we were a little disappointed with the service, but they made up for it.
W had made a reservation for the last seating for Thanksgiving dinner (4 pm). We arrived on the ferry at 3.30 and headed straight to the Inn (100 meters from the dock). There is not reception/front desk as such, so we told one of the restaurant waitresses we were there to check in. She said someone would be right out to help us. Fifteen minutes later we had to ask again. Finally, someone helped us out. Thanksgiving dinner was delicious. However, we were surprised when after dinner the waitress brought us the check right away (she didn't ask if we wanted dessert, coffee, another drink, nothing at all). We asked about dessert and she told us "Oh, we run out. We were busy earlier." I would have been fine in other circumstances, but not on Thanksgiving, and not when the Inn was the only business open on the island and there was no more ferry service to Portland for the day. When we were settling the hotel bill (they wanted us to pay on arrival, which we were fine with), we were asked about the dinner and I complained about the dessert situation. The gentleman that was helping us looked extremely shocked and said they'd bring dessert up to our room. Fifteen minutes later, they brough a fabulous apple crumble up to our room.
The room we stayed (Outer Green) is super spacious: King size bed, an additional twin bed with a trundle bed, a desk, a chair, a big sofa (they need to change the sofa! The springs are busted!), and a huge deck! The room was extremely clean.
At first we thought it was a pity the Inn does not offer breakfast, but Peaks Cafe across the street has wonderful breakfast!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eugecorbo
Reviewed 21 October 2011

My husband and I spent one night there recently. I was told when I called that our room had a two person jacuzzi. When we arrived that wasn't the case. It's just a one person tub. We also had a "queen" bed. That bed was not a queen. It was a full, and it was as hard as a rock. The fireplace quit working while we were there. I called and someone came right up to fix it. It went out 15 minutes later and we couldn't get it to come back on. So we paid for a two person jacuzzi tub, fireplace, and queen bed for a romantic evening, and we got none of these things. Also, I called in advance to let them know we were joining them on our honeymoon. They did zero to acknowledge it was our honeymoon. The other two inns we stayed at made sure to greet us as honeymooners, and they had treats in our room. I didn't expect free stuff, but no one even said "congratulations" while we were there.

The rooms are large, and cute, but not worth my $341. There are much much nicer places to stay for significantly less.

The food was delicious. We were wary of the restaurant because I'd read some terrible reviews about customer service and food. The portions were huge, well priced, and delicious. Our server was clearly busy, but we never felt ignored. My only complaint is that I ordered a shot of vanilla stoli for my beer, and they charged me $6.50 for a shot! I buy this frequently and I've never been charged more than $6.50 for the beer and the shot! I paid $10.50 for a beer with the vanilla stoli here. Ridiculous.

Overall, we were underwhelmed by the room considering what we paid. We were seriously disappointed in the size of the tub after calling and being told it was a two person tub. The bed was miserable. We stayed in the Cliff Island Suite. The restaurant is worth a visit. We had the pot roast and prime rib. The au jus for the prime rib was gross, but the steak itself was actually flavorful. The pot roast was to die for. Go for the food, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: It seemed every room was super loud here.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My husband and I spent 2 nights on the island as part of our "babymoon" (aka: last couples trip for a while). The room was just as I'd expected based on website photos and I was glad we got a room with a view of the bay (the others look out on the street/people's homes). We enjoyed a sunset the first night we were there, which was spectacular.

We also ate at the restaurant the first night, mostly since we arrived late and didn't want to explore the island in the dark. (Also because there aren't a ton of options.) The food was good - I found the lasagna filling and my husband enjoyed the chowder. Service was ok, not too attentive, but to be fair they had a large party in another room that seemed to keep them busy. We weren't in a hurry so we didn't really mind.

My only "cons" of this place would be the following (one of which they can't really control):

1. Staff isn't always around. This is definitely a small-staffed business, which works well, but don't expect prompt answers to questions and don't be shocked if you have to leave a message when trying to book. The checkin desk is the same as the host stand in the restaurant. However, everyone we interacted with was kind and helpful (once we found them).

2. Getting to/from here with a car is NOT cheap. Be prepared to pay $35-65 (depending on season) to get a car ferried over. I wish I'd known this or thought to do more research before arriving. If you plan to hoof it, the cost isn't that bad. Know that you can easily carry a suitcase and/or bag to the room from the dock - it's less than a city block. However, it would be nice if they offered some kind of assistance with this for guests. And again, I felt like they could have been a bit better a communicating this type of information upon booking a room with them.

Overall, we had a really nice stay and enjoyed exploring the island. It's a peaceful, slow paced place to vacation - exactly what we were looking for before our little one arrives in February!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the water!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank widjet22
Reviewed 26 August 2011

It's me again - the one that insists on polished and pristine accommodations. I have high anxiety when booking a place sight unseen. I never book without seeing pictures of the rooms and then with my magnifying glass peer into themlooking for any clues that will give it a thumbs up to book or a thumbs down to book. Beware there are two Inns on Peaks Island that have similar names. This one, The Inn at Peaks Island and Peaks Island House. I peered closely at both and they seemed to be night and day. The Inn on Peaks Island is the one with the pub. We booked the Green Room, at the back. It was the only one left. It didn't have a view but it did have a huge balcony with table and chairs and was very quiet. I would suspect the balconies with the view would have been noisy. The room was huge with a kind bed, living room area with a trundle bed and sofa. It was bright, cheery and looked newly renovated including the bathroom. It was polished and pristine - I was a happy camper even thought it rained the entire time we were there.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
The 8th Maine Regiment Lodge and Museum
Inn by the Sea
Inn by the Sea
#1 of 1 in Cape Elizabeth

Been to The Inn on Peaks Island? Share your experiences!