“setting the record straight”

Poland Spring Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Poland Springs
Conway, New Hampshire, United States
“setting the record straight”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

i first would like to say thank-you i was very unsure of coming here because of reveiws but decided to give it a chance and im very glad i did,i was comped this over night stay by oxford casino, as we approached the property the veiws were beautiful and there was bunches of people sitting on the porch talking,laughing,and looked so relaxed it fit the gate sign of stress free everyone was enjoying themselves as we entered the maine inn there was people reading sitting by fire,having drinks,just RELAXING....playing pool having fun,people looked up and even said hi to complete strangers,we checked in and were told are stay included buffet breakfast in morning which was good cause i knew we would be out late,at casino,we proceeded to are room . the room was cozy not the ritz a bit out dated but had what you needed,a bed an cable tv best of all NO PHONES (finally a vacation with peace) cant say enough about the friendly setting and front desk people were great. We did go to breakfast in morning and i would like to say i so enjoyed the setting everyone was again having a good time with there familys it was more like a gathering of family and friends not that stuffy restaurant feeling and the food was very good it deffinately is not cafeteria style as some have said it is buffet and you get fresh fruit ,coffee, juice ,muffins, banana bread, french toast ,ham, quiche,toast ,bagels, oatmeal,,an more it was very good so again i would like to say thank-you i had a great time and didnt want to leave ...i hope i will get the chance to visit again judy

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Judith M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here with a bit of apprehension, but were happy to have chosen this hotel for its location, accommodations, and privacy!! Sure, it's quite dated and could use some updates...., but overall, it was a very cool place to stay with our children & pets.
I didn't realize that there were any limitations on the # of dogs/ breed/size; but once we were checked in, we found out that there were. However, the staff let us stay an additional 4 nights with our 3 dogs!! + 2 kids. Though it was cramped, it was a great vacation!! The grounds are incredibly beautiful! The place has a wonderful history and is truly interesting and unique.
The only thing I'd change ultimately is to perhaps build a fenced in area for pet owners; there is plenty of room to do so & it would be a big $$$+++, for those travelers that like to bring there dogs. Pet friendly accommodations are difficult to find, especially when you have more than one or when one pet is 50lbs+, (in our case, our dog was far more than 50 pounds)
Yet, we lucked out, and we got the ok to continue our stay.

Poland Springs Resort is not a diamond in the rough, it's a diamond passed down through generations, and if you understand how special that is, you'll appreciate this very beautiful place.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Katy209
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Oh dear. We stayed here for two nights with a friend and will not return. As you enter the "grounds," they are quite beautiful with a lovely golf course and beautiful views of the Appalachian Mountains. However, now my story starts to turn sour. Upon entering the Maine Inn, we stepped into the mid 60s! Extremely outdated and a very stale smell emitting from every nook and cranny. As we opened our door to our room, an audible sound came out of my friend's mouth. AGH. The beds were sorely uncomfortable with flimsy sheets, a very smelly and dirty carpet (throughout the entire inn, as well). Crammed bathroom with a 70s Formica counter.
I really don't want to go on and on about this "resort." However, the food that was included in the price of the room, was gross, cafeteria style, crap which would cause anyone to have a heart attack within 24 hours! Who are these people? This is 2013, people! Too bad Rod Stieger is dead, because this place would be great for a Twilight Zone episode. Stay away from the Poland Springs "Resort."

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank FrameWrights
Maine_history, Owner at Poland Spring Resort, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Guests,

I am sorry you did not like your stay at Poland Spring Resort. Thank you for writing.

The reason that we call ourselves a "resort" versus a inn, hotel or motel, is most people come here for the activities and sightseeing and you are correct our rooms are not what you would find in a brand new hotel.

The positives: The View of the White Mountains... spectacular. We have a 18-hole golf course that is beyond excellent. Tennis, badminton, boating, swimming, mini golf, driving range, 10,000 volume library, nightly entertainment and yes a buffet breakfast and supper that is included with your stay.

Our buffets are not a cafeteria, a cafeteria you pay for each item you choose, at Poland Spring it is all-you-can at and most people enjoy our meals as they are comfort foods, like home made lasagne, baked chicken, pot roast, roast turkey dinners, corned beef and cabbage, and so much more. Probably not what your cardiologist would recommend but we also have fresh salads, fresh veggies, and fresh fruit also.

The lobby has all new leather sofas (purchased in 2012), new lamps, and several beautiful antiques and historic artwork from the Poland Spring House. The Maine Inn was built in 1962 and opened 1963. I do not smell any order but your nose probably is more sensitive than mine. I will install a fragrance.

Your comment, about our carpets being dirty sent me on a search down all the hallways, the dining room and the lobby... couldn't find any stains? Now it is possible that some child or adult spilled something in your room and it stained the carpet, but we do have all the carpets professional cleaned or replace every carpet every spring before re-opening.

You also don't say if you went back to the front desk and asked for another room, since you found this one unacceptable. Our staff is trained to assist you with any complaints and try to resolve any room issues.

Our beds are purchased from Spring Air, they are all hotel style beds, and also replaced as needed in the spring before reopening. But as you know, everyone has a different "comfort" level on mattresses that's why there is more than one mattress in any show room floor.

I totally agree our bathrooms are old, they were built when the building was building was built, this building has 85 rooms and we are planing on replacing those Formica counters as we can afford to. But the bathrooms are clean, they have a sink, a counter to put your belongings, and a toilet and bath tub with a shower. Huge no, but sufficient.

And as far as the "Twilight Zone", no but we were in 2 episodes with "Route 66" with Joan Crawford, Marty Milner, and George Maharis stayed here at the Maine Inn possibly in the room you were in?

Travellers are raving about these Poland Springs hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 August 2013

If your a snob or think your better than everyone else,please don't go to Poland spring. We have gone to Poland spring for the past seven years and enjoyed every second;eighth year has been booked. The staff is wonderful and very attentive. The food is not 5 star but more like mom used to make.(my mom was a good cook). Poland spring is a great value and stress free as advertised. We have meet wonderful people at Poland spring from all over the northeast;15 of us book the same week every year now. Don't listen to the bad reviews,check the place out for yourself,you will be glad you did. It 's not the hyatt,the plastic place, but a down to earth piece of heaven.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Thomas G
Bowdoin, Maine
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Living in Maine I have heard so much about Poland Springs Resort. I recently took advantage of an offer through Oxford Casino to stay there at a very reasonable rate. I booked a room at The Lodge as I did not want to chance a room on the third floor of the Inn. THEY HAVE NO ELEVATORS. The first room they gave me did not have a properly working A/C. At first the front desk wanted to send up a maintenance person. I asked "while I am taking a shower?". I don't think so. Do you have another room? They put me in a junior suite on the same floor (second). A large room. Like the first room slightly out dated. There was a dead bug on the bathroom floor. The room had a couch & a chair. When I sat in the chair I almost sank to the floor. The room was right above the office/gift shop. Everytime their phone rang I
could hear it. From the bathroom that shared a wall to the room across the hall, I could hear the occupant talking on the phone. My room was 193. It was a corner room and had a nice view of the golf course. The Lodge is nothing elegant and could use a good updating. For one night's stay it was adequate. I would like to go back and stay at
the Main Inn for comparison. The grounds are immaculate.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank NanaP155
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We have gone 3 years now, its a very clean room, (its an older hotel) but well kept. The food is very good. The people that work there can not do enough for you. We have already booked for next year. Its so peaceful & relaxing. But there is plenty to do if you want. And a new casino down the street. You cannot beat it for the money.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Donna G
San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Do not come to Poland Spring Resort expecting lavish accommodations, modern furnishings, and the usual room efficiencies...this place is totally Old School and the sooner you get past that, the sooner you will actually embrace what makes this place so special. What you can expect is friendly and accommodating service, absolutely beautiful grounds with killer views, clean rooms and facilities, lots of history, and food that tastes like your Grandmother is in the kitchen cooking it – delicious!

I recently planned a destination wedding here for my son (he married a Mainer) and had to do all the arrangements blindly and completely on faith since I live in San Diego. We had guests coming in from all over the US, so I had a fair amount of anxiety about how things could seriously go wrong and ruin a very special event. I travel a lot for work and typically stay in very nice hotels with lots of amenities. When I first arrived at Poland Spring Resort, I thought “uh-oh...” there were no elevators, no phones in the rooms, dated furniture and décor, WI-FI only in the lobby, and an obvious 70+ age group demographic. But in the end, all these factors actually became part of the charm of Poland Spring Resort, and all our guests felt the same way.

In all, we had a large luncheon at Cyndi's Dockside, Rehearsal Dinner at Mel’s Hilltop, Wedding Ceremony in the All Soul’s Chapel (a stunning wedding venue), Cocktail Hour in the Maine State Inn Lobby (with a Bluegrass Band), Reception in the Maine State Inn Dining Hall, and an After Party at Mel’s Hilltop. That’s a lot to coordinate, and I couldn’t have done it without the help of an amazing woman, Cyndi Robbins – the owner of Poland Spring Resort. Every request along the way was met with an accommodating attitude and can-do approach. She understood my anxiety and did what she could to put my mind at ease. All of the events listed above went smoothly, and they carried out the Bride & Groom’s vision beautifully (the only hitch was a rogue DJ) – especially with the ceremony and reception.

I would highly recommend Poland Spring Resort for a vacation or special event...and I definitely plan to return someday soon!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn Riverwatch
Hampton Inn Lewiston-Auburn
Ramada Lewiston Hotel & Conference Center
Center Street Value Inn

Been to Poland Spring Resort? Share your experiences!