“A great Getaway !”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Poland Springs
Abbot Village, Maine
“A great Getaway !”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My brother,his wife and me and my wife stayed at The Lodge Dec 9 th,2013 and realized that this is an older historic building and were not expecting marble and mahogany interior. (We had read the reviews) .We were well pleased with the building,amenities and professional staff. Our rooms were clean, the bed comfortable and reasonably priced. The continental breakfast and the mini refrig were extras included in the price.
While we only live 2 hours away we certainly recommend this business to friends and others and will be back. ( We liked its location with in a few miles of the Oxford Casino)
I'm sure some of the people who wrote reviews would have found problems with the Ritz-Carlton

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dallas P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
sarasota, fl
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My sisters and I booked a room at the hotel in September as an overnight sisters "get-a-way". While the grounds, views, etc. are nice, the room was the worst I'd ever stayed in. Shabby, and worst than that, not clean. No heat, no blankets, no nothing. The toilet had been used and not flushed.....need I say more. A visit to the spring house, the museum, and to walk the trails is worthwhile but find other overnight accommodations.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank njjSarasota_Fl

Travellers are raving about these Poland Springs hotels

Uxbridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 October 2013

oh but they did,
If anyone out there is looking for a STRESS FREE getaway, This is where you want to go !!
Summer, spring and fall are the Best times to go with the option of sleeping in the main or Presidential Inn. If you take time to visit, expect no cooking, fresh air, no stress and nice people.
There is a wildlife park down the street ( 10 minute drive ) Which we found interesting along with meeting the North woods Law Wardens which were scheduled to be there for a weekend.
We'll be back !!!

Room Tip: Presidential Inn or the main Inn would be my choose.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Karen F
Rockport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We spent a wonderful Weekend full of fun,Stress Free and entertaining!This was our 9th year attending this weekend and have never been disaapionted. Between meeting people and making relationships that seems to last forever. The staff are exceptional! We love the fact that it is dated but they are always trying to find new ways to entertain not all of course will please every one but it is the fact that try hard to make it fun for everyone. The Halloween party and dance can be very frighting. Chrismas and Santa is exciting. Then there is New Years Eve a night to remember. We just love it.

Room Tip: The Main Inn is where action is!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rene D
Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Beautiful setting. Hospitable atmosphere. Relaxing environment with opportunities to do almost anything one might like to do on a holiday. We have stayed several times for increasingly lengthy stays and will be returning in 2014. It is indeed "old fashioned" in many respects - the food, for instance, is plentiful,varied, solid, and nourishing although I do wish they would bring back the plain slab cakes for dinner! Nothing fancy but it's a pleasure to eat there many days in a row.
The evening "entertainment" we skip but then why would everyone like everything. The hotdogs at Mel's are another story. Don't skip them whomever you are! And the pool! And I am not even mentioning golf and a pretty terrific course.
But bring back those simple slab cakes for dinner!!

Room Tip: Of the several buildings, we have only ever stayed in the Maine Lodge on the first floor facing the...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John M
Wrentham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My boyfriend and I were attending a wedding this past weekend and booked a room in the Presidential Inn for two nights. After noticing money was refunded to me earlier in the week, I called the inn to learn our second night was canceled due to a "no show". Which makes no sense at all. After working it out with the front desk, they upgraded us to a king bed room at no extra charge. Upon arrival, we found several dead flies all over the room, as well as, many living flies and bugs in the room. After lugging our bags back down 3 flights of stairs (no elevator) and driving to the Maine inn, we were given a second room in the same building. It only had one bug in the shower so we figured this was the best it was going to get and dropped our bags to head out to the rehearsal. The Only problem was that our door to the room didn't lock. Back up to the Maine inn we went as there is no room phone to call the front desk. The front desk said she would call maintenance but never apologized for the inconvenience. The next day when we returned to the room only to find several bees in the room due to a large bee hive in the window that they could get through. We went to the Maine inn and asked to speak to the manager, where we were told both managers were too busy with a wedding to talk to us. Which is probably the worst customer service I've ever had at a hotel. Anyways, we were given a 3rd room in the Maine inn this time. The room was clean but again had an old tv, no iron, and outdated
furniture/fixtures. The only recommendation I would give somebody is to stay in the Maine inn if they absolutely have to stay at this hotel for its location. Other than that, I would avoid booking here. The upkeep of the inn is really just inexcusable and the customer service aspect was almost nonexistent.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Kendall_ashlee
Maine
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The Poland Spring Resort has gorgeous, well manicured, historic and peaceful grounds. I loved the history and being able to wander freely and take it all in. That being said, the buildings are tired. The Maine Inn is a total throwback from the decor to the meal & entertainment arrangement. If you go, be prepared to sit where you are told for dinner and the evening entertainment - with absolutely NO compromise.

We were there on Italian night. The food was ok - nothing fancy. I very much enjoyed the fresh green salad - it was cold and crisp and super, super fresh. I did not partake in the breakfast as it was a very limited time period (8-9:30). We received excellent service from the bar staff and wait staff. The lady at the door to the dining room & entertainment was a stickler for the rules (understand, it's her job) but she wasn't very friendly and was not flexible. At. All.

The Maine Inn is charming in it's retro-ness. I loved the library, and the game room and other nooks and crannies around - it felt like going back in time. The thing I noticed about the Maine Inn that was unpleasant was the smell, especially in the stairwells. It's dreadful and smells like old, stale something. It could benefit from new carpet. The restrooms in the public area are very old - but all were clean.

My room was in the Presidential Inn - and I'm so glad. There was no smell. The room was majorly dated (like my 80 year old Grandmother's bedroom), but it was clean very clean and the linens (including the bedspread) smelled freshly laundered. The shower had the most awesome shower pressure I've ever encountered in a hotel. It was AMAZING. I didn't want to get out of the shower. And the water was wonderfully hot.

The inn is creaky and not very soundproof, so if you are a light sleeper, you might be disappointed.

Overall things were ok - but I'm not sure if I would return, other than to take advantage of the gorgeous grounds.

Room Tip: "Choose the Presidential" "Don't go if you have mold allergies"
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn Riverwatch
Hampton Inn Lewiston-Auburn
Ramada Lewiston Hotel & Conference Center
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Windham

Been to Poland Spring Resort? Share your experiences!