“Perfect Night Out”
Review of Emilitsa

Emilitsa
Reserve with OpenTable
Emilitsa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 626 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$0 - US$33
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Emilitsa is a Greek restaurant located in the arts district of Portland, Maine and boasts a contemporary and casual atmosphere. Emilitsa brings a wide array of Mezethes (small plates), Megala Piata (large plates), and pristinely fresh seafood to the seacoast area. We honor the breadth of traditional cuisine from all regions of Greece. We prepare our Greek dishes with as many local, fresh, organic and natural ingredients as are available to us. We also accommodate those with food allergies.
Portland, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect Night Out”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

A friend and I dined here on December 13, 2013 prior to seeing a show at the State Theater. We are locals and are always looking for new places to try which in Portland is pretty easy to find. Upon being seated we were served an amuse bouche (as described by previous reviewers) which was delicious. We inquired about the wines as we were not familiar with Greek wines and our server brought us each two tastings to try. After being poured a glass of wine we were given time to look over the menu and decided to start with the rabbit and scallop appetizers which were both delicious. For our entrees we had the duck and veal which were exquisite. The spices used in these dishes were just right and had a certain "warmth" to them which was perfect on this frigid night! For dessert we had the baklava and chocolate cake. Again, they were quite delicious and neither were too sweet. Overall it was a wonderful dining experience. I usually find when dining at similar places that you either get good food, good service, good atmosphere or a combination of any two. But at Emilitsa we got all three. Great cozy atmosphere, superb service timed just right, and fabulous cuisine. And for anyone that thinks Greek food is out of their comfort zone, I don't think there's anything too far fetched for the average diner. Enjoy!

1 Thank Rebecca B

Boston, Massachusetts
“Appetizers and Salad at the bar”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

What a busy place. Stopped in for martini's and appetizers at the bar. Great salads and wonderful spreads with the fresh warmed pita. Really great atmosphere.

Boston
“One of Portand's Best (which is saying something)”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We walked into this tiny space on Congress Street and were warmly greated by the owner. Although the place appeared very busy, we were seated promptly at the time of our reservation. The tables are close together, but not too close - I didn't have the feeling we should be participating in the conversations of our neighbors. The Art Walk was going on outside, so there was lots of activity, but inside was a quiet cozy oasis. I thought we might be rushed along a bit given all the activity, but we were not - our server was relaxed and helpful and we never felt rushed.

My DC had never been before, but he had heard there were two things not to miss - the duck and the lamb, so before I could even think about what to have, he ordered both these dishes, along with a shared beet salad. The beet salad was lovely, the beets perfectly cooked and flavorful, but the creamy potato garlic accent stole the show. It was incredibly delicious for such a simple preparation.

Both the duck and the lamb were perfect. My DC didn't say another word once he took the first bite of lamb (and certainly never said "would you like a bite?) so I can only say when he was done that he identified it as perfect, "even transcendant". My duck was likewise perfect, with a mildly spicy, smokey delicious sauce as an garnish. The melding of flavors - the duck, the sauce, the rub - resulted in layers of flavors in every exquisite bite. I think it may be the best duck I have ever had.

The menu is somewhat limited, but there is enough variety for everyone to find something (even vegetarians). The advantage of a limited menu is everything is perfect.

The by the glass wine selection is nice and reasonably priced. Our server was very helpful with identifiying the appropriate wines (all were Greek and thus we were not familiar with them) and offered us tastes when we appeared uncertain. Service is professional, efficient and unobtrusive. The owner is in the background insuring that everyone is happy.

There are lots of really nice places to eat in Portland, but Emilitsa is at the top of our list.

boston
“Loved our dinner!”
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

We chose this restaurant based on the trip advisor reviews and we were not disappointed. We shared the octopus appetizer based on the recommendation of a diner at a neighboring table (the seats are close together) and it was perfectly cooked - grilled, moist, lemony. I had the moussaka (so flavorful) and my husband had grilled lamb chops with spinach and mashed potatoes and he found it mouth watering. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was warm and welcoming. We came from Boston for the weekend and wish we had this restaurant closer to home. We will definitely come back!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank mellxk
Boston, Massachusetts
“Overated!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We wanted Greek food and this is rated the best Greek restaurant in Portland. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere, possible a little too cozy (we were seated down the long hallway portion of the restaurant and felt it was quite tight), and the service was average. I have no idea where all the high ratings are based on. The restaurant is very expensive for the overall experience. I would easily give Emilitsa 3.5 stars if there were fewer tables and it didn't feel quite so tight. Request a table in the front of the restaurant.

We share the “saganaki” an appetizer of cheese flambeed with seven star metaxa. It seemed that it was done in the oven instead of frying which made it very soft for $16.00? We skip the salads.

The wines on offer were the average Greek wines very familiar to us, and did not offer any high end good Greek wines. We chose “Amethystos” by Nikos Lazaridis that cost $56. Based on my experience, I would say that the wines are more expensive than Boston restaurants.

The food while have a Greek twist lacked a certain something that makes their high rating a bit over the top. For entrees I had the lamb chops and at the end I was wondering why all that was on my plate were two over salted chops. I love Lamb chops and I can never recall ever being served 2, always 3 or 4. I mean I really could taste the rock salt on my teeth. The dish was overpriced at $32.00. My wife’s souvlaki had enough garlic to kill a “Dracula”, even though Emilitsa’s features free-range chicken. No oven roasted potatoes that are a basic on every Greek restaurant, but mashed potatoes. The menu is small and they had no specials, so I don't think we would return there.

The waiter never came to pour a second glass of wine!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited November 2013