“Portland, ME is a city of Art”

Portland Museum of Art
Ranked #3 of 155 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: With an extensive permanent collection and nationally renowned exhibitions, the Portland Museum of Art is rightfully taking its place as the best regional museum in the country. The PMA boasts a considerable permanent collection, with beloved works of American, European, and Contemporary art, as well as significant holdings of Maine art-highlighting the rich artistic tradition of the state and its artists. The museum brings it all to life with unparalleled programming. From special member-only events, free school tours, and a commitment to family activities, to PMA Movies, curator talks, and exclusive tours of the Winslow Homer Studio-it's all happening at the PMA.
Reviewed 23 November 2013

If you want to be an artist would definitely recommend touring this museum and city in general as it was great to se the different textute, design, etc. all around. Museum had much to offer and was free on Friday evenings when I went in April 2012.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Very nice museum, clean, organized, and featuring a great-display of sea-related paintings. Conveniently-located in Downtown Portland so it is not out of the way. A definite stop for anyone in the Portland vicinity.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We've seen such great shows here and love to walk through the restored Federal McLellan House (1801) - be sure to note the amazing floor canvas in the entry way. We're looking forward to returning to see Winslow Homer's restored studio, where he did a lot of his late work. The museum doesn't look very large from the outside so it's always a surprise to find so much great art inside. And the cafe is also quite nice too.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

This is a very nice museum, small and compact. They have a good array of artwork on display, and as a history buff, I really enjoyed the Civil War collection by Winslow Homer. My visit to Portland was short, so being able to tour a smaller art museum as this was, let me enjoy more of the city as well. I didn't leave with the feeling I had rushed thru the exhibits, and missed something.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I'm used to large museums with grand visions, so it was nice to visit one that doesn't make you feel like you can't afford to miss a masterpiece--and that you might find an unexpected discovery. The special exhibits when I visited were less than thrilling, but that happens. The regular collection is well arranged, full of small gems from different artists and different periods. There's a goodly amount of Maine Art, but not an overdose, and some surprises--I was quite taken with an NC Wyeth very different from his work that I'd seen elsewhere, same for Marsden Hartley. The layout is a bit of a maze, but even so, I went back to revisit several favorites. It's quiet, and it lets you find your own joys. And I had a special surprise when I saw a painting by a friend and neighbor, whose work I'd never seen in a museum before. The store was a little thin--no postcards of my favorites. Cafe serves good food at a fair price, but is a little slow--took 15 minutes to prepare the sandwich I ordered, and it was on a low day. But if you like art, and like discovery, you'll love it.