“You won't find a better lunch deal!”
Review of Kim's Sandwich and Cafe - CLOSED

Kim's Sandwich and Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I 'discovered' Kim's about five years ago and have been a regular ever since. For years I drove by and wondered what the Vietnamese Iced Coffee mentioned on their sign board was like. I finally went in one day and ordered that coffee and a vegetarian sandwich.

The iced coffee is condensed milk mixed with chicory roast coffee. It's very tasty, very sweet, and probably has more calories than any of the sandwiches.

A banh mi sandwich is a Vietnamese style sandwich which contains your choice of meat filling (or a vegetarian tofu option), lightly picked carrots, cucumbers, and jalapeno slices, mayo, and a few sprigs of cilantro. The fillings are placed in a crusty, partially rice flour baguette-style sub roll. I love the combination of textures, the crisp vegetables against the soft glass noodles and tofu.

Kim's offers about a dozen different options, all about $3. I can personally recommend the vegetarian sandwich. The combination and barbecue beef are highly recommended by my friends. It's a light lunch - you might want a snack before dinner.

There are a couple of tables at Kim's, often occupied, so it's primarily a take out place. However, if you do sit down for lunch, hopefully you'll be able to chat with Kim and her daughter, two fun, lively, opinionated women. Visiting with those two is always a highlight of my lunch time :)

1  Thank Emera65
There are newer reviews for Kim's Sandwich and Cafe

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Are you hungry? Do you like tasty sandwiches? Are you in the market for pork buns or syndicated Asian television shows on DVD?

If you answered “yes” to any of the following questions you should definitely check out Kim’s Sandwich shop. $3 nets you an incredible sandwich. Like a Ramones song it’s short, sweet and exactly what you needed…

Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

The banh mi were just ok. Fillings were fresh, however they used a regular mayonnaise and a tough/chewier baguette. Had higher expectations for the French bread.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

I can't bring myself to eat anywhere else when I'm in Portland at lunchtime. The sandwiches are unbelievably amazing. They don't make their own bread, but with the careful toasting, you almost can't tell. You can't beat the price, but I would pay twice as much (don't tell Kim). You must get a Thai iced tea or coffee to go with your sandwich. Kim and her daughter are incredibly friendly. I moved away for 2 years and Kim still remembered me when I came in. Going into Kim's is just a great experience, and I guarantee you will be craving that Banh Mi until you go in and order another.

Reviewed 2 October 2011

viet style meats and veggies on crusty French bread. Cheap, fast!

1  Thank Flackephoto