“A beautiful, homey place to stay in Portland”

The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“A beautiful, homey place to stay in Portland”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I travel to Portland monthly for business and thank my lucky stars that my colleagues and I found the Chadwick Inn. This old Victorian house has been beautifully renovated and tastefully decorated. The hosts are attentive and accommodating. (After overhearing me say to my companion that my room had been chilly the night before, I came back that evening to find the gas fireplace in my room on, along with a space heater in case I needed it.) They consider every detail--from offering a library of books and DVDs to equipping rooms with white noise machines to packing breakfasts and leaving "to go" cups for those of us who have to leave at the crack of dawn. The location is PERFECT--within walking distance to Portland's west-end restaurants and venues. A true gem!

Room Tip: Some of the bedrooms have their own bathrooms and others do not. If this matters to you, you will wa...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MolissaR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 March 2014

An easy walk from the heart of Downtown Portland, The Chadwick made for a wonderfully relaxing getaway, an easy train ride from Boston. The house is beautifully renovated, the hosts are fantastic, and the breakfasts delicious and creative.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jonathanrk
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This was my first stay at a B&B and I was not disappointed. I was pleased with the time they took to call and confirm my reservation as well as making sure there was someone present for our arrival. The house is warm and inviting, the hosts were gracious and the food was delicious. The room was clean, comfortable and well-kept. I would highly recommend this over a chain hotel any day and am planning on staying again when I visit Portland in the future!

Room Tip: Baxter Room is small but very private with a spacious bathroom
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kirswood
Duxbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I found Chadwick B&B on Hotel Tonight. This is a fabulous guest house and I felt at home from the monument I walked in. The host are gracious and opened the whole property to guests. As a frequent business traveler, I often look for that special place to really relax and unwind. This is it!

Room Tip: Wonderful sun in room #2.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
warwick
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were looking for a new getaway we chose Portland. The Chadwick House could not have been nicer. From the fresh baked cookies on our arrival and the comfortable quiet room to the delicious breakfast and beautiful home, we sure did pick a great place.

• Stayed February 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We have been to Portland a number of times and love the city but thought it was time for the homier feeling of a B and B over a brand name hotel. Pretty much at random we selected the Chadwick from on line listings. This gamble was a true winner. From the friendly and competent way the phone reservation was handled to the in person welcome, the comfortable, clean room and bath, the delicious and generous homemade breakfast and everything in between, we were delighted. Even though we have enjoyed several large hotels in Portland we know where our home away from home will be when we return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is a wonderful bed & breakfast! My husband and I recently stayed here from a Sunday to Tuesday and it was a great experience. Very elegant and cozy atmosphere. Our room was the smallest of the four rooms, but it didn’t even matter because it was down a private hallway with a large private bathroom across the hall. The bed was soooooo comfortable that we wouldn’t even want to get up in the morning but we did so we didn’t miss the delicious breakfast! The whole experience was just wonderful, we will defiantly stay here every time we return to Portland, ME.
Also there was still a lot to do in Portland, ME in the winter! We had no trouble keeping busy for the 3 days/2 nights we stayed here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple