“My kids loved it!”

Children's Museum and Theatre of Maine
Ranked #30 of 155 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether climbing a mountain, entering a bear's den, role-playing crewmembers on a 40-foot schooner or manning a space shuttle, children will have a blast at this highly interactive museum. Most of the museum is geared to children aged one to 11, but young teens will like the computer lab and the camera exhibits. There's also a play area just for toddlers.
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Brought our kids (7 & 2.5) an they loved it. It was a bit crowded but its expected as its the summer and the tourists are here in droves. There was a wait on some of the exhibits, but it wasn't terribly long. We had to drag the kids out because they didn't want to leave. Will definitely come back.

1  Thank acchapp

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We might have had more fun than our little one, although she begged to stay longer than the two hours we had!

Really fun, and interactive in all the right ways. We would absolutely come back again.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The day we went to the museum was crowded. Lots of families. Overpriced for the number of activities available for children. Bathrooms were smelly. Looks like the museum is in need of a renovation.

2  Thank E Z
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Even though some of the reviews made me hesitant, we gave the place a shot. Other than the place being flooded with little kids, it was an amazing place. Almost all of the exhibits were in working condition and very unique. My kids could not stop talking about it when they woke from their nap after. It was very clean and I was amazed at how everything was so well maintained. If you use your AAA card you get a discount and we parked in the municipal garage like the web site says and got our ticket validated only costing us $3 for the three hours we were there. You have to get in the garage early though because they close the gates when it's full.

2  Thank nymustang1
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I brought my 2 1/2 year old here while we were passing through Portland to give him a chance to play a bit. I would say this place is probably best aged for a range from him to say 5 or 6 years old. The museum is smaller than some of the other children's museums I have been too however they fit a lot in the space they have. They also have various staff assisted activities going on through the day. My son worked on a puzzle activity the size of a bed sheet and got his face painted. Both staff members were fantastic. This was also the most pleasant experience I have had at a children's museum. Maybe it was just a good day but staff, parents and children alike were friendly and polite. My son really enjoyed himself.

1  Thank Morcant