“Incredibly creative”

Miyake
Ranked #89 of 614 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$0 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Framingham, Massachusetts
“Incredibly creative”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

By far one of the best meals I have ever had. Got the three course vegetarian meal; it was all chef choice and very fresh based on the week's produce at the farmer's market. A bit pricey but worth every penny.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Nirvana”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The glowing reviews are all true. One may have to go to New York or Japan to find Japanese food this fresh, creative and mind-blowing especially at these prices. I have not yet dined at O YA in Boston and so cannot compare the two. Some HAVE compared them which is extremely high praise for Miyake from what O know of the prices at O YA. But at $65 for the Chef's 8-course Omakase tasting menu at Miyake, I doubt O YA can come close to this experience once you get the bill, which is, I've heard gargantuan. Miso soup made with lobster stock was restrained and subtle, with the essence of the sea, a delicious palate opener. We were able to taste back-and forth between the Chef's 8-course Omakase and the multi-course tasting menu as we ordered both. It was intriguing not knowing what James Beard nominated Chef Masa Miyake would prepare next, and I had great fun watching he and his team work in the warm, classy, beautiful room. Uni, glazed and lightly torched was first up on the Omakase. Just amazing. The night included (among many others) a delectable crab cake, Manila clams in sake, grilled octopus infused with the smokey char of the fire, stellar, an impeccably fresh selection selection of sashimi of lobster, toro, mackeral, salmon, and a few others that was as beautifully presented as it was mind-blowing. The nigiri course was one of my favorites of the night (but I'm hard pressed to name a favorite really). Uber-fresh and masterfully executed this was serious sushi! Two-year old guinea hog from the Chef's own farm, along with pork belly, charcoal grilled, was so tender and sweet I could not get enough of it. I tried three different sakes, all different, all great including a desert sake with green tea tiramisu, light as a cloud and delicious. I think one of the most impressive and refreshing things about our meal is that there was not a roll in sight (at least not on our table). Nothing against the ubiquitous sushi roll, it has its place (though most American versions I find to be far too large). I found the lack of them in both menus that night to be just perfect. Service was impeccable, breezy and erudite with all ingredients in each dish well explained. We have some perfectly good sushi in Boston, and as I've said, I've not yet found the friend with the generosity and space on his or her credit card or an appropriately impressed corporate client with same to dine out at O YA yet. But if Mikake were to come to Boston there would be waves, big ones. Until then, Portland is less than two hours from the hub. Take what you'd save at O YA, drive to Portland, get a room for a night or two and book a table at Mikake (the flagship location on Fore St.) A night this great is worth the drive from Boston. Miyake now easily ranks as one of the best meals we've ever had. We will be back, and soon.

3 Thank mcobrien
Seymour, Connecticut
“Amazing Japanese!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

A truly amazing experience. We opted for the omakase. The food was all incredibly fresh and beautifully presented. Everything was delicious...even the "scary" bits. I feared that a five course fish tasing menu would leave us hungry but we found ourselves feeling stuffed before the final course was presented (sadly we passed on dessert). The dining room appears to be small but offers ample space - cool ceiling! Service was solid. We'll be back again next time we find ourselves in Portland.

• Visited April 2014
FALMOUTH ME
“Best Japanese Food in Portland”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Japanese food as good as you can find in Japan is hard to find in the US. I lived for 21 years in Japan and am constantly on the lookout in the US for fine Japanese food (at a less than astronomical price). There are three different Miyake restaurants in Portland. The lower priced ones are the new Miyake diner where I have not yet been and Pai Men Miyake which is good midrange Japanese food. The Miyake I am reviewing here is the flagship and the most expensive of the three ($50 for a full prix fix dinner). Expensive for Portland, but worth it. The dinner would be $200 in New York.

• Visited March 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Amazing Japanese Food Not Just for Portland, but for Anywhere”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Truly a special meal and experience with a real Japanese hand. This 5 star rating isn't relative to Portland-based restaurants, but relative to any restaurant globally. I thought the presentation was excellent, the service was solid, and the ambience was nice, but most importantly, the food was fresh, incredibly tasty, and light prepared with an inventive eye.

The menu is made up of sushi/sashimi or a $50 tasting menu with your choice of 4 items including many local items such as uni, lobster, etc. It was inventive, and just the right portion and prepared in a very Japanese style, not Americanized as so many Japanese restaurants are.

I have had the best sushi in the world, and this stacks up - particularly for the salmon, the red snapper, the lobster, the uni, and the unagi. I was just blown away as I didn't expect this in Maine (no offense). This tops anything in Boston, somewhat akin to O'ya in Boston, and ranks close to Japanese restaurants in NYC with a smaller selection of sushi, and could even make a run of it in Tokyo. Well done Miyake-sama!

• Visited May 2014

Been to Miyake? Share your experiences!