“I hoped for more ”

Cuisines: Japanese, Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Ok, I will start this by saying that I was expecting a great experience. The setting is charming and the service was generally what you would expect from a place with this reputation. We tried to order something that was not on the menu and we were met with surprising resistance. It wasn't anything special, we wanted a simple scallop roll… they had the the scallops but couldn't make the roll. Puzzling. We also had salmon nigiri that still had scales and scallop nigiri that had sand... Very disappointing. Oh wait… did I say "scallop" nigiri? Anyway. Aside from these small issues, what we had was fresh and wonderfully tasty. I will have to admit that my favorite is still the sushi place in Rockland… sorry...

2  Thank HereAtLast

Reviewed 23 July 2014

As a Japanese food addict; this place exceeded all my expectations. The menu is diverse and varied and the service was very good. Our meal started with lobster miso which I have never seen prior to this visit and it was superb. My wife opted for the Teriyaki salmon that was also superbly done - pink, warm and firm on the inside.I ordered the bento box with a little trepidation since our server was very vague on its contents. It had the traditional rolls and sushi but there was also a warm lobster and mushroom custard which was better than delicious. The octopus salad was also great. I would have to rate the dish a 15 on a scale of 10. If this restaurant was in NYC; it would be fully booked from 5 to midnight. The interior is also slick and attractive. We will be driving 50 miles to Portland to enjoy several more meals before we return home. Miyake is wonderful!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

After reading several reviews, we decided to go to Miyake for lunch. After looking at the menu, we had a few questions. A waitress named Kristin came over to our table to take our order. Her attitude towards our questions was appalling. She rolled her eyes, made sarcastic comments and had a general pathetic attitude. I was more than a little shocked but still ordered our food. However after she left, after discussing Kristin's attitude towards us, we canceled our order and left the restaurant.

I have lived in NYC for the past 12 years and have never come across such attitude. We complained to the manager. I just hope that the owner is aware of how his customers were treated. Even one time is too many!

Its a shame that a restaurant that serves "masterful food" has a horrible waitress. Nothing is worth being treated with such disrespect. I hope the owner is reading this review.

4  Thank Strikers_2013
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Awesome food. Attentive service. Came back two nights in a row as too many good things to eat in one meal. A home run.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We have been here several times, and each time the food is amazing. This not the classic Japanese food, but fusion with blended influences from Japan, Asia, France & Italy. The restaurant is small, so busy days, you probably need a reservation. We ate lunch and they close at 2:30PM. So get there before then.

The flower arrangements were colorful.

While I see some reports of poor service, we have never experienced this at all. The Tei Shoku meal comes with three courses and runs $19.50/each. If you order a la carte, it can be pricy. The super Toro we had was $18, but scrumptious and a reasonable amount of food.

For us, we stop here whenever we can on the way upstate or near Boston. They have another restaurant in the area: Pai Men at 188 State Street.

Note that on our GPS, it took us to State Street, and not the new address of 468 Fore Street, a block or two from downtown.