“Cheap but terrible”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We booked a room for 3 (friends traveling together) and we double-checked with the hotel beforehand that the room could accommodate 3 people, which was confirmed. The room turned out to have two small beds only. The hotel staff said that they don't have triple rooms and they couldn't put an extra bed or mattress in the room because of "fire hazard". When I asked if we at least could get an extra pair of bed sheets and a comforter so we wouldn't have to share that, they gave us a bed sheet but no comforter.
When I called again and asked for a comforter they said it's against the company policy to give an extra comforter and that I might try to steal it (why would I want to steal it??). I said I could pay a deposit so they would be sure I wouldn't steal the comforter but she got upset and screamed "I'm not gonna risk losing my job over this!" and hung up on me.

Worst service I've ever experienced!

The room smelled very weird. The breakfast was pretty miserable, with only foamy disposable plates and cups and plastic forks.

I will never stay there again, no matter how cheap it is.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

A TripAdvisor Member
Naples, Maine
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We decided on this hotel due to its closeness to the local hospital a family member was staying in. They were wonderful in giving us the preferred rate for this reason for a nice room with a King sized bed. It was close to my fiancé's work and local shops and eating establishments. There was also local taxi service as well as a shuttle I discovered you could take to get to the hospitals nearby. Only glitch was a party central room we ended up having to listen to into the wee hours past 2 am next door on Friday night! When we went down to complain there was Noone at the front desk! No sign of security either to go to as a second resort. Other than that our stay was really nice and we would definetly stay there again vs. the Ramada in Lewiston which tends to be overpriced and has a $200 hold on your non-smoking room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Nice hotel in Downtown Portland, walk to most places. Very friendly staff and clean room. The train does run behind the hotel a couple times a night but for the location I could over look that slight issue. Free morning breakfast. Best hotel in downtown for the price.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2014

When we first walked into the lobby we could see the "no smoking" signs and smell the overwhelming scent of cigarettes. Our rooms were on the fourth floor and the odor of cigarettes was also overwhelming there. There was a dirty cloth or towel in a drawer in my brother's room. Between the dirty towel and the odor I felt as though the room was very dirty which made me not want to sleep there, however, the others I was with insisted we stay as we were only "sleeping" at the hotel. I agreed but I did not sleep, we had shut off the air conditioner/heat in our room but it kicked on at least once an hour with a big bang which woke me up throughout the night. I wish I had not listened to the people I was traveling with, I will never stay at this hotel again even if it a free stay.

Room Tip: just go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night as I was going to see a performance at the Merrill Auditorium and this location was very close. The front desk staff were very nice and so was the room. The hotel was very clean and welcoming. The night of the performance they called a taxi for us and it was extremely good service.
The area this hotel is located in is slightly sketchy, but we went for a couple walks on the main lit roads and it was all good. There are sidewalks and crosswalks all through the area, but some sidewalks were not plowed and some crossing lights were not working. We managed quite well though, and there were a couple of places, such as Denny's and McDonalds, that were very nearby to eat at.

The hotel's breakfast had lots of options including the waffle irons. They also had breads, bagels, pastries and whatnot, with juices and hot drinks. Coffee was available all day in the lobby. The eating area was right off the lobby and was very spacious with lots of seats.

We slept very good at this hotel and had an enjoyable stay. There is a lot around that is close and walkable to, including the arenas and stadium just up the street. I would love to come back if anything else I was interested in was back in town. Otherwise I would just stay somewhere near the mall.

Overall I had a wonderful stay.

Also the Hood milk place is across the street and is very cool!

Stayed: February 2014