“The Best of Maine,Excellent Service”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Great Hotel! We stayed there 3 days with my friend while we were riding around Maine.The hotel is located at a great area.It is so close to restaurants and Old Port.You can find anything you like in a few minutes.The breakfast and dinner were nice.There was a fantastic sea view from our room! It was comfortable,quiet.We slept well.We had anything we liked in the room. Also the room was very clean.Housekeeping Staff was really nice.
Onder,our housekeeper was wonderful cleaning our room and helping us about our needs.This young man was always smiling and funny.
Great Experience! See you next time.Thank you Residence Inn!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Downtown Portland can be expensive, so I was a bit surprised at how reasonable this hotel was. They are right on the edge of the downtown area, but within walking distance of everything. My room was on the main floor near the pool, and as a light sleeper, I was worried. Not a problem! It was quiet and I slept quite well.

I was here for a conference and saw the rooms at the conference hotel. They paid almost twice as much as I did and their room wasn't nearly as spacious or clean. Glad I stayed here. Staff are very receptive, and I didn't realize that they had a shuttle until I checked into the hotel. They have a variety of options for breakfast, and a few things some evenings, but if you're in Portland, go out and eat. There are many options and they all are reasonably priced and very tasty. If you like to exercise and if you're here in the summer, skip the treadmill and walk across the street to the Ocean Gateway. There's a great trail to run/walk on that runs along the bay.

Room Tip: Depends. Some people like the courtyard view however there may be more traffic there. I was on the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The service in this hotel is outstanding from the moment of check in. While it is a little bit away from the Old Town walking area the free hotel shuttle service took us everywhere we wanted to go. We never had to take our car out of the garage until it was time to go out of town.

The rooms are spacious and the beds very comfortable in the standard room that we reserved. The free buffet breakfast was OK, nothing particularly special but certainly adequate.

If you are traveling with a family this is a great choice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I tried again. I had a bad experience last year at 4th of July. Thought it was because it was a busy and hot weekend. See my previous review. Was staying this time with points to stay only one night. I was looking forward to a good night sleep because I would be sleeping on a boat at Demllo's Marina with my family the following night, was not sure how sound that would be. Well I slept better there than the suite here!!!

First thing that happened was that I used the shuttle from the train. I told the driver that I was just checking in and would be right back down to go to the Marina. As it was my train was late and my family was waiting for me. I waited, and could have walked because he took someone else before me, I would not have minded going on their route to mine. I should have started to walk I would have been there sooner. There was one driver who used to be great, they now have hired a few more one is great, a few others, not so much.

I called a day ahead to say I would like a courtyard room, thinking it was quieter, The first time I was at this Inn at the fourth there was a bad accident that kept me awake all night and the port view is of a working port, so I requested a courtyard view. It was quieter the last time I was there.. The attendant agreed that it is usually quieter and noted my request.. I did know there was a fire pit, did not know it would be like spring break, I sleep better at Old Orchard Beach with all the goings on there than here. There were people up after 1AM with their solo cups and loud music and yelling. I called down to the front desk, not much was done. No sleep. Needless to say I slept like a rock in a small cabin on the family boat the next night. I was glad this was with points, however I will stay elsewhere if in Portland again, there are far more choices. It's a shame
it could be a nice place to stay, but three strikes you are out. I have been very disappointed in general with various Marriott brands, and will not be soo loyal in future, and they also have restructured the rewards levels soo you need to spend a fortune to even get a free night!! Not worth it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MABB26
sarah d, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

I am sorry for your frustrating experience while staying with us. I am unaware of this particular incident in the courtyard. Our policy is that the courtyard is closed at 10 PM. I would like to talk with you about your visit with us and hear your concerns.

Residence Inn Downtown/Waterfront Portland
207-761-1660

Positive vs. Negative

Check In
Positive- very quick and friendly

Negative - Bell hop service was non-existent. The only staff to be found were the front desk attendants who are busy checking guests in. No doorman or bell-hops to help will dollies or luggage. I am sure if we asked they could found some staff but in my opinion its a Marriott we shouldn't have to ask. Some of the luggage dollies need wheel repair and were not easy to maneuver.

Parking Garage

Positive - Free parking in a parking garage. The garage is located right next door several levels and you receive a ticket that you can enter and exit the garage.

Negative - Valets are not part of this property experience. When you check in you have to leave your car in a very small half moon driveway, go to the front desk, grab a luggage dollies, leave your partner or friend with the luggage while someone drives next door to park the car. The parking garage has poor markings and people drive very fast in there. Be very careful maneuvering around the garage. The garage is not attached to the hotel, you are out in the elements and have to cross a street (not a busy street). This was not a problem for my party however I did see that an older couple was disappointed that they did not have anyone to park the car for them.

Hotel Room
-Positive- Very clean, up to date décor, large fridge, plenty of plates and silverware in the kitchen, great products in the bathroom, its stocked with three large towels and several face cloths. On both sides of the bed were plugs for electronic devices.

-Negative- the blinds in the living room do not completely close leaving a gap for the sun to shine in. We had to become creative to block out the light. Even if with the windows closed you could still hear the seagulls outside. Its summer seagulls remind you of vacation I would hate to be able to hear snowplows in the winter during late night snow removal. The kitchen was not stocked with surface cleaner to disinfect eating surfaces. The room only had one luggage stand.

Shuttle Service
Positive -The man who operates the shuttle service is amazing. Very friendly, extremely helpful and has some interesting historical info on Portland.

Negative - The front desk attendants are not aware of where the shuttle van travels. We asked the front desk if the hotel shuttle would take us to Thompsons Point and they said no. We also asked about a few other areas in the city and they also replied no. We ended up spending close to a hundred dollars on taxis even with the discounted two dollar coupon that the front desk gave us. One night we were desperate to get to Thompsons Point and all the taxi services were so busy we ended up asking the hotel shuttle driver if he would make an exception and we even offered to pay him. He informed us that he had already been to that location two other times that day and he would be glad to take us. He was so apologetic about the front desk giving us the wrong information about the shuttle in the beginning of our trip. He seemed just as aggravated as we were. I guess what I am telling you is don't listen to what the front desk has to say regarding certain services in the hotel. Just go to the actual people that run those services. I hope this helps saves someone else from dropping cash on traveling.

Complementary Breakfast

Positive - That you receive a complementary breakfast. Many hot options including make your own waffles. Also the hotel has complementary coffee and tea in the lobby for guests.

Negative - It was so mobbed it was very unappealing. Perhaps extending breakfast time a little later to avoid some of the craziness. We ended up going to a coffee shop around the comer.

Hotel Bar
Positive - Very clean, great lounge atmosphere.

Negative - Happy hour prices $5 for beer and $6 for wine...I hated to see non-happy hour prices. Everyone one knows hotel drinks are always more expensive than regular bar prices but if you just walk around Portland has some great prices on food and beverages.

Pool & Gym
Cant comment did not use those amenities did walk past and the equipment in the gym looked good and people were smiling in the pool. The bathrooms in that area were very clean.

Housekeeping
Positive - Very friendly and helpful. We needed an extra blanket and they were happy to bring one up to our room. If you are using the pullout sofa they have a fitted sheet, regular sheet and a light blanket located in a clear plastic bag in the closet. If you want another blanket or comforter housekeeping had extra that they could bring up.

Negative - None the room was very clean.

Location
Positive - The hotel is located in a great spot. You do have to walk a bit to get to places but its a light walk. Its in an area with great food and fun. The residents of Portland that we ran into were so friendly and nice. We had some great conversations and many laughs with them.

Overall this review is to give you a clear concept of what to expect. I have high expectations and sometimes they are not always meet. I will say I felt very safe in this area, the hotel was very clean and the staff were very nice. This is an ideal hotel for traveling with families or dogs...saw a lot of big and small dogs in the lobby. I think the property has some minor kinks to fix but overall its a great hotel. When we come back to Portland we will be staying here.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 13Justine13

Thank you for taking the time to give such a thorough review. I'm glad you were able to enjoy yourselves somewhat while you were with us. You raised many interesting points about our hotel. We value your feedback and hope you will return.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Avoid this property. Parking is a hassle and it is too expensive. We used wheelchair room and the bed was a foot higher than the wheelchair. If we ever return to Portland, we'll stay near airport or highway. Staff here generally nice. If you're on a fat expense account, this one might be okay. My seasoned travel advice....avoid.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Portland has become a top destination for many in the summer months making parking a premium and hotel rates very competitive. We do provide a discount on parking for our guest in the Ocean Gateway Garage from $31 to $12. I do hope you enjoyed your time while you were here in Portland.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Excellent hotel!
We are so comfortable here! The rooms are so homey... very spacious and accomodating! Each room has a bedroom, living room and kitchen... just like home!

The bed is VERY comfortable... having the best night's sleep here!
Also, the room includes a very good breakfast buffet, which is a wonderful treat and a great way to start the day!

Clean, spacious and comfortable... also VERY PET FRIENDLY for those who travel with their dogs! We are seeing dogs everywhere... kids, too!!

The staff is friendly and attentive... the rooms are very clean....
We highly recommend this Residence Inn by Marriott... it is a great place to stay in Portland!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joan F

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and your stay with us. We so enjoy having our furry guest visit. I'm glad you were able to feel right at home here. We hope you will visit again.