“Pasta at home won't taste as good now”
Review of Paciarino

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just an outstanding meal in a very relaxed atmosphere. The bolognese was so good that our homemade sauce will never be the same. Four diners, each with a different dish and we were all wowed. Kind of a short menu, but who cares? Will definitely return the next time we're in Portland.

There are newer reviews for Paciarino

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Eating here made my wife and I feel as if we were back in a small osteria in Italy. The place is small — paciarino is Italian for cozy — and while the noise level might be a bit high everything else was spot on. Although we arrived a half hour early and the restaurant nearly full we were seated right away.

Our server was friendly, helpful and attentive when we needed her.

The food was, in a word, wonderful. We began with the formaggi misti: three cheeses that were portioned perfectly; no tiny slivers her but thin wedges that were just right with a handful of olives thrown in for good good measure.

Aside from the starters and salads, they only offer several varieties of pasta and sauces, all homemade. My wife had the ravioli stuffed with ricotta and topped with Bolognese sauce; I had the lasagne Bolognese. Simply delicious.

For wines we had two splits of the Neirano Prosecco and then each had a glass of the Monsanto Chianti Classico!

Speaking of wines, you should note there is great value here. The one Brunello they had listed for $49 for the bottle! That's virtually retail prices. And this was not an exception. The Monsanto sold for $39 a bottle, again nearly retail. And this in the face of an industry that marks up their wines 100-300% over retail! Outstanding wine value here to be sure.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Returned with my wife for lunch after being away from Maine for six months and found that this is still a very nice little restaurant. The decor is simple, but attractive and comfortable. The food is all made in-house - pastas, simple delicious sauces, and wonderful bread. The service is friendly, efficient, and charming. Our server, Leah, worked as hostess, bartender, and waitress, and did all of those jobs expertly and with just the right degree of friendliness. The prices are very reasonable. We will return every time we are in Portland.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Freshly baked bread and farm fresh salads make for a good start. The homemade pasta dishes here are excellent. I had lobster tagliatelle and my wife had the Porcini stuffed ravioli, both were superb. Add in a good bottle of wine, and you have a great meal.
The service was top notch. The atmosphere was cozy but not cramped; busy but not noisy. Although we did not have reservations, they were able to accommodate the two of us on a busy Saturday night. Hats off to Paciarino, highly recommended.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I had three people recommend Paciarino to us while we were visiting Portland, so we thought we'd give it a try. I love Italian food, and my wife is a vegetarian, so we thought it'd be a good match. The short of it is that the food was "meh" and the service was worse.

We made a reservation on OpenTable, and were seated immediately. The server filled our water and brought us menus, then started talking us through our options, which in fairness were fairly limited - it's a short menu (about 12 main dishes), and since I don't eat pork and my wife doesn't eat meat or cheese (not vegan, just picky), we really had only a few choices. My issue was that they were generally unaccommodating: I asked for one or two simple modifications, but the chef wouldn't make them.

And when I finally settled on a dish, it had been 86'ed (sold out or removed as an option) without the waitress knowing. Ultimately, we settled on a plate of pasta with red sauce for my wife, and pasta aglio olio for me... which the server assured me was "not that spicy."

Then we sat at the table for about 15 minutes. We watched other tables be seated and receive bread before they ordered. We emptied our water glasses, and they were not refilled. Eventually, we flagged down the other server to ask for these things, and she apologized and said she'd bring them over... which she did, but only after bringing them to her (just-seated) tables first.

The food arrived, and while the pasta was tasty - it was made fresh that day, on-site - my dish was so spicy that it was inedible. So we sat there, sharing my wife's $16 plate of pasta and sauce, waiting for the server to ask us how everything was... which she never did. So again, we flagged down the other server, who apologized and took away the dish.

At no point did our waitress come over, apologize, or try to set things right - she mostly just ignored us. Even when she brought the check, she said neither "sorry" nor "thank you" - she just dropped it off. We were both incredibly disappointed with the service, and not much happier with the food.

Overall, I'd give it another go if (a) my wife wasn't with me, since she basically can't eat anything there; and (b) I had a different server. Other than that, it's unlikely I'll return.

Besides, we really wanted to eat at Emilitsa anyway - they were just closed for the day.

4  Thank Josh B