“Could be a better trip”

Odyssey Whale Watching
More attraction details
Owner description: Boat offering whale-watching trips.
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Have been on a whale watch trip before (Gray whales in California) and can't help but compare the two experiences. I would've expected a much more educational experience. During the Odyssey's harbor departure, information was given by the captain about the local landmarks and lighthouses. After that, once the boat came up to full speed out onto the ocean, we could no longer hear the captain above the noise and that was the end of the information. Occasionally, he would slow the boat to announce he had seen something, everyone would run to look, and that was that. Of course, wild creatures are not dependable and we understood we might not see whales. The trip out (2 hours) is quite boring. On my previous whale watch experience the captain and staff talked about whales, their biology and behavior, and hot beverages were provided to all on board, as well as muffins and cookies. On the Odyssey, you can buy ridiculously overpriced snacks and drinks. Just at the end of our 2 hour trip out, a pod of pilot whales with their babies appeared and we were able to observe and photograph them. Then, it was 2 hours back. It was so cold and windy outside, everyone huddled in the cabin. So...my advice is - bring snacks and drinks, and possibly an e-reader if you're not prone to seasickness. And read up on whales before you go.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Exceptional crew - just no whales this time around - we had a full boat so it was hard to move around to see on the other side of the boat. Crew was great - this was a Sept cruise and they even provided blankets and such. Chopping Sea that day but the Captain did his best to mitigate as much as possible. Odyssey even gave us a ticket to return since we didn't see any whales. However we did see some dolphins and a few seals

1  Thank jkrasse21
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We went out for one of their 4 hour trips and saw whales, porpoises and so many dolphins. For as far as the eye could see across the horizon we could see dolphins. They played in our wake and swam right up the boat as if they were putting on a show for us. It was an incredible trip. Also we learned a lot of history of the calendar islands and lighthouses out of the harbor. Thanks for a trip of a lifetime.

5  Thank Donna_Bledsoe
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I booked a fishing trip with my father-in-law on a Tuesday. We had options for Tuesday, Thursday or Friday night. We chose Friday night since I was leaving Saturday to go back home. I get a phone call at 11:30am Friday morning saying they screwed up their scheduling and wonder if I wanted Saturday. I was leaving and couldn't. The lady was not caring about my concerns and did not care I was leaving, it was not her problem. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy after the way they treat people

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Like most tourist attractions they take your photo before the trip, nothing great, we declined getting our photo, just trying to get more of your money. Boat captain identified features on the way out, but as we were on one side of boat we couldn't see things on other side. Would be nice to point out all the sites on the way in also. We did get to see one minke whale several times. Seating isn't comfortable, if you sit outside you have to move for others to walk by you. If you sit outside on the main deck, expect waves to crash into bow splashing on deck. No one got soaked but it will make you cold. They have a snack bar and alcohol drinks on board, grossly overpriced. We took a back pack with us with some snacks and drinks for the 4 hour plus trip. Their are two bathrooms (heads) at the rear of boat, nice. This is a motor boat, and the motor noise drones on and on... Would be nice if they limited capacity for viewing, as whale reappears on other side of boat everyone scurries for a view as the boat lurches towards whale. I recommend standing on bench seating in front of main deck house, you can see from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock and then some. Just get a hold of steel bars protecting windows, so you don't lose your balance.