“Taste of Portland”

Maine Foodie Tours - Culinary Walking Tours
Ranked #1 of 30 Nightlife in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Join Maine Foodie Tours and taste your way through town! Experience the talents and tastes of Maine while entertaining guides immerse you in culinary history and culture. All unique tours give you a mix of food and food for thought. Tours in Portland are offered in all four seasons! Private tours are available by request, and don't forget we're also in Bar Harbor, Rockland and Kennebunkport.
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Fun day in Portland highlighted by walking tour with guide Pat Bagg. Wine tasting, spices, local artisanal cheeses, scones and jam, harbor fish market, chocolate, Whoopie-Pie, brewery, lobsta' roll . . . what's not to like! Interspersed with city history, inside scoop on the dining scene, and a typical day in a historical New England harbor town, a most enjoyable experience. Don't forget to tip the guide--she earns it!

Reviewed 20 September 2013

I visited Portland with my three sisters and suggested we try this Foodie Tour. We all loved it . It was one of the high lights of our four day visit to Portland. Besides visiting the many speciality shops, the tour included a lot of facts about Portland and it's history. Randy, our guide was tops. He got everyone involved in the food adventure and his humor and energy level just added to the experience. The tastings ranged from gourmet seasonings to the famous Maine Whoopie Pie. I am not a big fan of Whoopie Pies but the version from the Two Fat Cats Bakery was the pleasant exception. If you visit Portland book this tour. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

I signed my sister and myself up for this tour online. The description said $45 but when I clicked on the RSVP page the price was $49 + 2 for the online reservation company. I was still looking forward to it even though now the price was $51! They only take 14 people and some of the tours were full. When we arrived at the Wine shop for our tour there was only 2 other people, great! Our guide was Chuck who was very friendly and knowledgable. He took us to 8 shops from one end of town to the other end so plenty of walking on some uneven brick streets so wear good walking shoes! I was not very pleased with the tastings for the money. The reason why is that several of the shops offer the same "tastings" to anyone that comes in! We had a small glass of wine which was very good, a cracker with shrimp, 3 samplings of cheese, taste of smoked fish, bits of chocolate, 1/2 a whoopie pie and sample of beer. It was all very good and interesting and we had a good day and I loved that there was only 4 of us, I could not image doing the tour with 14 people, the shops are all very small and I don't see that many people fitting in and being able to hear the guide. They give you a nice little red tote bag for carrying your advertisements which to me that's what this was all about, advertising the shops and getting you to go back and buy product from them. (which I did!) Not worth the money.

4  Thank AnnaItaly2014
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Four hours of our life that we'll never get back. The food is little more than specialty shop samples, most of which can be had by anyone walking in off the street. If you're expecting a sampling from real restaurants (as were we), then you will be sorely disappointed. My advice: save your money and treat yourself, instead, to a full meal at one of Portland's many fine restaurants.

3  Thank WB7714
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We organised the Foodie Tour as part of our cruise and spent the day visiting Portland, it was a very useful way to see the town from a walking and food/drink perspective…

We booked the tour as a foursome but were part of a Group of 10-12 people. Our guide Randy made the tour fun and informative and endeavoured to ensure each of was engaged.

We made seven stops around the town including the Shipyard Brewery.
Anything not to your particular liking did not have to be tasted and were offered around the rest of the Group, be it the lobster, wine, cheese, jam & scones, chutneys, beer, cake or chocolate.

At each stop, Randy either did the opening introduction or indeed explained the food or drink item, dependent upon the location.
We had a very good time tasting, walking, taking photographs and of course, having a nice chat with our fellow foodies.

We asked Randy about getting a taxi to the lighthouse and that is when he took his role as a guide to the next level...
After the Tour he took the four of us in his car the few miles to the lighthouse.
He parked up while we spent 20 minutes or so taking photographs and on the way back we stopped for a lobster roll, I won`t say where, but it was damn tasty !
Randy dropped us back into town and we obviously tipped him for his time and service, don`t be afraid to ask if the lighthouse is of interest and we are sure Randy will be accommodating if his time allows.

All in all a good day spent in Portland and the surrounding area.

2  Thank Colesy