“Great gumbo and sandwiches”

Po' Boys and Pickles
Ranked #132 of 640 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This little restaurant on outer Forest Avenue, just a few minutes out of Intown Portland, serves up a mean gumbo, especially great in frigid weather, and the frozen take-home version is equally good...Their sandwiches, new Orleans style, are truly delicious, right down to the big crusty rolls...Outdoor seating at picnic tables in warm weather is very nice

Reviewed 9 April 2014

This place is great, from the fresh food to the staff. Very friendly, helpful. Have never been disappointed with anything from here.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Husband and I had a meal here, rather late in the evening. Still quite busy at 8:30 when closing is 9pm. Good sign!
Falafel salad was fresh and full of intriguing tastes... the marinated veggies were a tangy contrast to the greens but were not spicy, which I really liked. Falafel were the best I have had in Maine. My husband enjoyed the blackened fish sandwich, and we shared an order of sweet potato fries that were crispy, not oily and tasted very fresh.
We'll go back. We recommend. Casual, not fancy. Helpful, friendly staff who can answer questions and help make choices.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This place is awesome!!!! Everything on menu is great. The fried oyster po boy and the muffalata are my favorites. Take my advice and add praline bacon and the spicy garlic sauce to whatever sandwich you get.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We decided to stop by for the first time and we were very pleasantly surprised- here is a casual sandwich shop, unassuming from the outside but offering a refreshingly different menu inside. We both had the chicken BLT- I know, that doesn't sound too different- but the roll was much better than the usual, the chicken was plentiful - overall a good experience. The macaroon, for $1, was moist and tasty. I think it was fried maybe. Anyway, there were a lot of interesting choice that would lure us back- gumbo, pulled port, oysters, shrimp and so on. The girl at the counter was very friendly. Worth trying out if you want something new - in a casual setting.