“Cool, not too hip, and funky good!”
Review of Sonny's

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Middle Street
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The bar room has a lovely view, a comfy lounge/ entrance area, a small dining room and a tiny patio verging on a lovely public space in the Old Port and a funky, old bank vibe that works well to make you feel comfy without being kitschy.

All we had was 1/2 dozen oysters and drinks, but the oysters were perfect and the friendly and helpful barkeep brought us additional horse radish and house made hot sauce which were both exceptional. That hot sauce had coconutty, sweet notes that worked perfectly with the latent heat and the lovely, low tide flavor of the large, fresh, local oysters.

Next time, we're here for a full dinner, and I have great expectations!

1  Thank h0trudderedbum

Reviewed 4 July 2014

While I can't personally speak to the quality of the drinks (though I hear they're great and the bar area looked to be very popular!), I can offer you a few reasons that Sonny's is worth checking out. The venue is an old bank building and has large windows and some unique features. It looks out on Post Office Park in the Old Port and there is outdoor seating that offers great people watching. However, since it it was raining when we visited today for the first time, we opted to sit in the back dining room (see my attached photo) which was bright, spacious, and despite the weather's mugginess, cooler than the rest of the building thanks to a/c. While we didn't experience particularly attentive service during the course of our meal, we did appreciate that we were both quickly seated and quickly served.
The menu isn't extensive but we were only looking for light post-movie eats so were well satisfied. We chose 2 appetizers to share-- first, mussels and then a unique panko-fried avocado topped with pico de gallo. I forgot to ask what other pale pink crispy veggie lay beneath the avocado, but it was a tasty combo! And the mussels came with a unique roasted chickpea garnish that worked well not only as a counterpoint texture to the mussels but also in tandem with the tasty and plentiful broth.
Some previous reviews have mentioned parking issues, but don't let that keep you away. It's easy to park right in the Temple St. Garage (next to Nickelodeon Cinema--open until midnight), go out the back exit onto Exchange St, and Sonny's is right across the street. Plus, Sonny's participates in the Park & Shop program. So just remember to get your ticket stamped and it'll be worth an hour of free parking:)
I hope you'll find my notes helpful and will be encouraged to check out Sonny's the next time you're looking for a dining spot in the Old Port!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We originally came in to watch the world cup, because Sonny's has a tv at the bar, but really liked the place. The bar area is nice and they had some nice cocktails. The only reason I'm not giving it five stars is because the food was just ok. I did like the enchiladas, though.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Food was average. Service was okay but after we got out bill the service ended. No more drinks, etc., not even water.

1  Thank Hanoscf
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We've come here for drinks a few times now and that alone is reason to go, they have many crafted drinks and all are delicious. We had the mussels to start and I HIGHLY recommend getting it, make sure to ask for extra bread though. It came with garbonzo beans, unexpected but I liked it. We had a lobster salad sandwich with a gin N'F'N roses, and a blackened whitefish tacos with a blueberry mojito. The mojito is highly recommended if you're in Maine. The tacos were great, but would have liked the rice and beans on the side to be seasoned more. I was not a fan of the tortilla it was on either. Would have liked having the bun for the lobster sandwich be warm too.