“For Longfellow or old house fans”

Wadsworth-Longfellow House
Ranked #29 of 151 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Home where poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow lived as a boy.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is one of the oldest remaining houses in the city. It's now run by the Maine Historical Society, located next door. I took the tour as part of the group I was with. It will really be of most interest to Longfellow fans (I'm not one) or maybe historic house buffs (I am only slightly). If you are neither you are not likely to really enjoy it. But that said I must give credit to the guides (volunteers) who really are passionate about the topic. If you do fit either category than you certainly should take the hour plus and see it.

There are newer reviews for Wadsworth-Longfellow House

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Very pretty with some beautiful gardens. Wedged between a couple of modern buildings you could easily walk right past it. I guess it's a nice tribute but seems almost an after thought. Though maybe HWL is only an attraction for us literature majors.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The MHS has done an awesome job maintaining this building and it's furniture. It's a really neat and interesting tour, and I would recommend those who have some extra time on their trip between May and October go visit.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
This is not true in Portland, Maine as a star can be seen shining daily at the Wadsworth-Longfellow House. His name is John, and he gave my family a tour befitting celebrities.
You too can be part of this experience through one of America's treasures in history, literature, and the importance of family. Thank you John for keeping the past as a relevant part of our future.

1  Thank kirk b
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I majored in history, my wife majored in history, my dad majored in history. The Longfellow House is a must-see. Henry is one of the 19th century's and America's great poets. Visit the room where he wrote The Rainy Day. Just a beautiful presented house. And at Christmas, it is breath-taking.

2  Thank Drew M