“Insightful”

Wadsworth-Longfellow House
Ranked #28 of 155 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Home where poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow lived as a boy.
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is hidden in a business/residential area and not easily found. If you are a Longfellow follower, it gives you a good insight into the author and his thinking. Interesting exhibit with good explanation panel thorough out.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My tour guide was rude and impatience. I took my cellphone one because I was putting it on silence at the beggining of the tour and Mary the your guide stop everything and just stare crossing her arms like I was interrupting her and refuse to continue the tour if I won't put my cellphone away. Also another couple was just passing by to se the garden and she very loudly ask them to don't disturb her tour.

The house is beautiful just avoid this Mary, she is an older lady with gray hair.

1  Thank Eduardo V
Maine Historica... S, Creative Manager at Wadsworth-Longfellow House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Hi Eduardo,

Thank you for visiting Maine Historical Society and for taking the time to share your concerns about your tour. We understand you weren't satisfied with your experience and apologize for that. We are glad that you found the beauty in the historic Wadsworth-Longfellow House and hope that you'll give us another chance on your next trip back to Maine. We appreciate your feedback! -Dani

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Our docent, James Horigan, was fantastic. He gave us so much information about the family as well as little asides that were amusing. He clearly enjoys teaching people about the history of the house as well as the genius of Longfellow. He was funny and intelligent and an overall excellent guide. The house was very well preserved. Highly recommend this tour.

2  Thank Kay M
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My mom thought it was the best house tour she has ever experienced. She thought it was better even that Mount Vernon. I thought they did a really nice job, liked the tour, it gave a great perspective to that time period in Portland. The only suggestion I have is that they look at the exhibits in the museum part with fresh eyes to make sure that visitors can understand what they are looking at. The first exhibit inside the door diplayed maps of Portland before and after an attack, but no where did it explain the attack.

1  Thank KayBea23
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Visiting the Longfellow House was something I really wanted to do while we were in Portland. Sure, the house was great to see, but the tour seemed to be more about Longfellow's sister than about him and his life. Our tour guide was a bit rough around the edges, so perhaps with a different docent the experience would have been better.