“A Gem at the harbor”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Elmwood Park, Illinois
“A Gem at the harbor”
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I highly recommend this hotel not only for its location but everything about it to make it totally first class. The complimentary coffee service to the room every morning, the bath robes, the turn down at night made this girlfriends trip the best we have ever been on. The staff was first class in every way - polite, accommodating, and so cheerful all the time. The Armory bar was beautiful and historic - the rooms more than lovely and the restuarant fabulous. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
boston, ma
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Stayed here for a night for Mothers Day, basically to go visit all the bars and restaurants in the area.

The Good:
-Super convenient to many bars, restaurants and the waterfront. All within walking distance.
-The bed was amazingly comfortable.
-The staff was very friendly.
-The Armory bar in the lobby was very popular. Most hotels say "oh yes - our bar/restaurant is amazing and visited by tons of people!" and you get there and it has 3 chairs and you're the only ones in there and it closes at 9pm. This was an actual happening place.

The Bad:
Really nitpicking, but they don't have a parking lot. Unless you can find street parking you have to do valet. But then again it was only $12 so it wasn't bad by any means.

One side note - I can't remember a time I last stayed at a hotel that had real actual keys instead of keycards.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frappeboy
West Hartford CT
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I recently had the privilege of staying here for a conference and can't say enough good things about the staff, room, food, etc. I felt so welcomed right from the start and the feeling never went away. Whether it was the complimentary coffee service delivered to the room with a little cinnamon roll or the staff preparing a vegetarian plate on the fly for my luncheon I always felt like I was their most important guest. The fitness center had plenty of machines and here again the nice little touches, in this case a pitcher of chilled blueberry flavored water outside the workout room, made the stay really nice. And after a long night of walking, eating, talking and drinking to come home to a turned down bed, a chocolate mint and the lights on was so sweet. The 2nd floor room i was in was incredibly spacious and the comfort level of the bed was superb. The location was perfect nestled among cool little shops and restaurants ranging from the quick down and dirty to the really romantic & elegant. I'll be back with my wife to enjoy this gem sometime soon.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Arundel, Maine
Reviewed 23 May 2011

My wife and I stayed at the hotel on the night of May 13th. We had a great room on the 3rd floor. It was the weekend of my birthday and as we have stayed at this hotel before it was important that we got in even though it was college graduation weekend. The room, 318, was at the end of the hall. It was large, had a skylight and a high window next to the closet in which were robes, iron, umbrella, hair dryer and ironing board. The bathroom was clean and had the regulat amenities. Great shower! The room cost was pricier than others in Portland but is in a great location for walking thru the shopping and restaurant district. I highly recommend this hotel if you don't mind paying more for a great stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Staying one night for business. Conveniently located downtown. Efficient check in. K-cup machine in room. Clean. Free upgrade to jr suite. Skylight windows only. Building apparently a converted armory. So far so good. Comfy. Business center just a pc and printer but works for me.

• Stayed May 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 May 2011

My girlfriends and I were excited to get away and try out the Regency in Portland as a potential stay for my friend's wedding, and were so disappointed to have to cancel when my son fell very ill late in the morning before our trip. By the time I was able to put him down for nap and call to cancel, it was 1:20, missing the deadline of cancellation by 20 minutes . I was shocked at how unsympathetic the front desk was to our situation. I understood the policy that they needed to charge me for being late. But we asked if they could at least credit us towards our future stay to still check out the hotel, but they said no and simply charged us $75 for missing the cancellation deadline-they seemed to feel that was very generous, as they didn't charge me the entire amount. I spoke to two managers, both equally firm and unsympathetic to our extenuating circumstances- I understand it's a business, but in this case I think it's just bad hospitality and would never stay there now, nor ever recommend it to a friend. It is just too bad all around. I have never written a bad review of a hotel, but felt this was a pretty rotten way to deal with potential customers.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank bavaca
Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Stayed here this past weekend. This hotel is perfectly located and within walking distance to all the Old Port has to offer. We were met immediately by the valet who took the car and were checked in and in our room within just a few minutes. The front desk was very helpful and what a pleasure to see compimentary bottled water in the room on arrival! The room was very nicely appointed and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and modern. All of the staff was friendly and helpful. I will absolutely stay here again on my next trip to Portland.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple