“Good location for a night out”

Portland Regency Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Good location for a night out”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We went to Portland for an evening out, and this hotel was in a good location for doing so - in the 'old port' near to many bars and restaurants.

The accommodation was fine though since we were only there for one night we did not make much use of the facilities. We were amused by the door in our room which was both the closet door and the bathroom door depending on which way you closed it.

The price was more than we would usually pay for a hotel, but we would not have been able to walk back to the cheaper hotels we looked at, which were further out from the city center.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Had a one night stay here, and was very please all around. Beds were very comfortable. AC was not as loud as most other hotels I've stayed in. Room had a skylight in the slanted roof but no window on the wall, which I thought was peculiar but not necessarily a detraction. Staff was friendly. Valet attendant was helpful at 5am in providing directions to the Portland Head lighthouse. Short walk to their lot in case you need to access your car for any reason. Location was really great just a few blocks from the water's edge and near a lot of dining options in the Old Port. Unfortunately did not get a chance to check out the spa/sauna/jacuzzi because they all close at 9pm. Not sure if I'll be in Portland again but if I am, I'll gladly stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Maine
Reviewed 11 August 2011

You'd think you were staying in NYC or Boston instead of Portland, Maine for the price we paid, $315. Nothing out of the ordinary in the room we stayed in. It was clean and nice, but hardly worth the price. I was very disappointed when I discovered on my visa bill that they had charged me $34.95 to mail a sweatshirt I had forgotten in the room. I live in Maine for heaven's sake, less than 100 miles away. After calling to object, they would not budge. I have stayed in other hotels that have mailed things back for free. You'd think at $315 a night they could at least be reasonable. Their unreasonableness and outrageous prices have guaranteed that we will not be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OHLobster
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We recently had a one night stay and much of the family jewelry was taken from our locked room, no outsiders so obviously someone from on the staff. We were stunned at the lack of response and care on the part of the staff/management -- Management took a cursory attitude to this catastrophic event.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank adrc_11
GMRESPONSE, General Manager at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
We always welcome guest feedback, however we find the accusation of jewelry being stolen by one of our staff members unfounded and there is no evidence to support their statement.

We host thousands of guests in our hotel on an annual basis and take guest property and security very seriously. As a service we offer safety deposit boxes at the front desk to hold any valuable items a guest may have. If something of this importance is physically given to us we can securely hold it throughout their stay, if we have no records or proof of it being in our hotel we cannot be held responsible.

Our records show the guest checked out of their room at 12:24pm without any indication or mention from the them of theft or loss. The hotel received a call at approximately 7pm (some 7 hours later) saying that important family jewelry had been left behind. We immediately sent a staff member to look for these items and did recover a box with jewelry inside. The guest believed they packed more than the three items which were found by our staff member. A manager then returned to the room once again and was not able to locate any additional property.

We have been in contact with this guest repeatedly to help the guest retrace their steps in hopes of locating their lost items and had encouraged them to contact the Portland Police Department.
In addition, the General Manager has spoken to the Portland Police Department about the situation.
It is an unfortunate situation all around and we are hoping that the guest locates the missing items in question.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I purposefully chose the Regency over the chain hotel where my friends stayed for a family event. I had loved my previous stays.
I arrived after 10pm on a rainy night, extremely tired after a long car trip.
Checking in was fine, although I was frustrated that there was no (even light) food service after 10pm. I would have been happy with a fruit/cheese plate but the front desk suggested Dominos.
The front desk staff person took a call while I was checking in, and I assumed that I was all set, and headed off to my room. It was a maze down to ground floor rooms that were tucked behind the health spa. I got lost a few times, and each time I ended back in the lobby (at least 2x) the front desk person was on the phone with her back turned to me.
Once I found it, the room was a little depressing. Couldn't open the shade because it looked out onto a busy street. Smelled a little mildewy. There was an old t-shirt behind the chair that was still there on day 2. The corridors in the back were always a little dirty. It just felt sad, especially for a place that I associated with good memories and comfort.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms (110-112)
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank MTeresa63
ny
Reviewed 29 July 2011

A++ location in an old armory building. Most of the rooms look like old Marriott rooms, so it is nothing special. Would say the hotel needs to be refreshed. Because it is an old Armory, some of the rooms are funky - we stayed in one with a slanted roof and an inoperable sunlight, but no window. Service is good and the bar iin the basement s outstanding, but no one knows about it. We really like the location in the heart of everything next to restaurants, shops, etc.

Room Tip: ask for rooms with "normal" configurations
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
ALLENWOOD
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Perfect location near the harbor. Rooms were spotless clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful and allowed an early check in that was not prearranged. Only criticism is air conditioner was very noisy and the beds were much too soft.

• Stayed July 2011