“A Nice Place At A Discounted Rate; Great Location”

Portland Regency Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Google "hotels Portland Maine". Go ahead, add qualifiers like "Classic" or "Vintage", or "Historic". What you come up with is an amazing variety of big chain corporate boxes that would be as much at home in the shadow of an airport, anywhere, and not a single old property of note, save for the Inn At St John, and the Portland Regency. This is New England, for heaven's sake! Portland may have more restaurants, per capita, than San Francisco, but it also has but 1/10th of their population---this is a very small city with big buildings (also quite a bit like San Francisco, in that respect) and if there were any grand old hostelries, I don't know what happened to them.

Is this a nice hotel? Yes. Was it a good value? We paid $135 per night/double, through Expedia, and I'd hedge that question by saying it was worth the money. Would I pay the $300.-400 a night that I've read is the rack rate? No. Would I come back at the $135 rate? Yes, but after I tried the Inn At St. John, first.

The Regency is a boutique hotel, built into the shell and up onto the back roof of the local armory. Like many such properties, glitz and glamor are employed to distract the eye from architectural embellishments that don't exist. And, unfortunately, all of the work that was done was topped off with drop-ceilings, which in the halls at least have the patterns of pressed tin ceilings, but not in the rooms, where the ceilings are about 7' above the floor. Drop ceilings are to Design what toupes and hair weaves are to balding men: The simplicity of the solution seems like a good idea, until the discerning eye catches it and then you're out.

Portland, Maine is laid out a lot like Portland, Oregon, but feels more like Seattle: The oldest buildings are along the water, but some of the most beautiful are a short walk inland. Like Seattle, there was a lot of late-century demo, and the big holes were filled with ill considered modernist structures that blight the town. And, there isn't a lot to Portland. Again, it's a really small city, so after a day spent walking around, you're left feeling you've seen it all. Worse yet, like the tourist traps at Fisherman's Wharf, many of the local restaurants, some with famous local names, don't even use local lobster! Don't let Anthony Bourdain be your trusted restaurant guide, let me tell you! Either someone on his show doesn't do their footwork, or fresh-local isn't that important to them!

And no, they don't have coffee makers in the room. But honestly, you get what you pay for, free coffee is almost never good coffee. The Regency's coffee is no exception---if you don't choose this hotel, please don't let the lack of an in-room coffee maker be the reason! There is SO MUCH great coffee within a block or so of the hotel, and some really good bakeries, including the Standard, within the same short distance.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gryphonisle

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Date night package was worth it. Superb food--very fancy and pricey but the date night pkg made it very reasonable --pkg incl discount at spa too! Great massage there--very professional and nice there too. The location of the Regency makes it the perfect place to stay especially if you like the feel of the historic old port. Best food, shopping right out your door!

• Stayed: November 2013
D D, Director of Sales at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you utilized the date night package.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

D.D.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Let's start by saying this place is amazing. I might have given it a 4 if I hadn't heard the neighbors and the floors squeak in other rooms (you can hear it). Noise is a number downer for me in a property. The tub had chips which were glaring since the chips were black against the tub's light color. Cracks in the bathroom tile floor were obvious and as other reviewers have also mentioned, time to lose the old-fashioned GOLD-plated shampoo and soap dispensers in the shower! They also give the feel that they are dirty.

Maybe a 5 rating if the room had its own coffee maker and fridge (we like our water bottles COLD). The barely veiled attempt at taking more clients' money by "delivering coffee and pastries (stale some mornings btw)" and only by 8AM??!! Really?! I like my OWN brand of coffee WHEN I want it and bring it with me when I travel so.....

We were also disappointed to see the gorgeous restaurant and the roaring fireplace CLOSED already when we returned in the early evening. It could also have served as a great after-dinner drink lounge. Perhaps your fall/winter clientele are not as important as those in summer?

We had a great rate so I could not really complain in general though. The property has old world charm and elegance for sure. Do yourselves a favor however and have your doormen act and behave more professionally (i.e. no phones; no smoking). They're a bit too busy with each other and their own business rather than jumping to help and hold doors for your guests (for example).

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback that you provided.
I have shared your review with our Management team and the issues you pointed out will be looked into further and addressed.
On your next stay I might suggest asking about one of our newer rooms on the 3rd and 4th floors. We underwent a major renovation of these rooms in 2012.
We hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Enjoyed an overnight stay here. Had a party to attend across the street, great location for waterfront, old port restaurants and shopping. Staff very nice and quickly checked in. The hotel seems a little dark, but very clean, bed super comfortable, excellent water pressure in the shower. Would stay again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was a good location, with historic ambience. We thought the room small, although nice, and bath was fine. We opted to have breakfast in their dining room, for convenience, but thought food was just ok; not great. They also sent their limo to pick us up at the airport, and that was excellent. We might stay here again, but will also look at other options.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room when you check in.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
D D, Director of Sales at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

We appreciate you providing a review of your stay and hope that you decide to stay with us again the next time you are visiting Portland.
On your next visit I might recommend staying in one of our newly renovated rooms on the 4th floor. These rooms provide extra square footage along with a deck that you can walk out onto. In addition, these rooms have larger bathrooms, a Keurig coffee maker, and a refrigerator.
We also have several styles of Suites that provide ample square footage.
We llok forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I loved this hotel. The location is within walking distance to the Old Port shopping and restaurants. The spa is wonderful, with a huge hot tub and steam room. They serve great cucumber water to refresh you during services. The massage was one of the best I have ever had. I will be back soon!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
D D, Director of Sales at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for your review.
Our Spa staff work extremely hard to provide a relaxing and tranquil experience for our guests. I will be certain to share your wonderful feedback with them.
I am glad that you had the time to experience the hot tub, steam room, and delicious cucumber water as well.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Portland Regency Hotel and Spa!

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Conveniently located and still reasonably priced (although we had a connection), the Portland Regency is the grand old dame of downtown hotels. The staff is terrifically accommodating (welcoming my service dog with open arms) and flexible. There are several newer hotels opening soon. No doubt they have more amenities and I don't know how this hotel will fare. All I know is, it's comfortable and unique and I've enjoyed both my visits.

Room Tip: Room 330 is convenient to stairs and elevator
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
D D, Director of Sales at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Our staff strive to provide first class hospitality to all of our guests and we are happy to hear that we accomplished this with your visit.
You are correct when you stated that several newer hotels are opening in our area. We feel confident that our service level and our property will continue to retain and attract our loyal guests and new guests. Portland is a wonderful city!
Again, thank you for taking the time to write us.

D. Davis