“Great stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Tyngsboro, Massachusetts
“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We are just back from a weekend at the Regency. The location cannot be beat, the rooms are clean, the beds are very comfortable, and the service is excellent. I especially loved the valet; we never had to worry about parking and were able to come and go as often as we liked. The hotel is located right in the center of the Old Port so we could walk everywhere.

We also had the opportunity to visit the spa for massages and I highly recommend this!

The Armory Lounge (downstairs in the hotel) was ok-very reasonably priced drinks, but I much preferred The North Point across the street for the atmosphere. The hotel is old and could use a little updating, but overall we had a wonderful stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in other hotels and b&bs in Portland, all of which had far superior rooms to the Regency. The rooms here are average, uninteresting and somewhat dated. 4 star level aesthetics and extras completely absent. What is nice about this hotel is very good service, funky historic public areas, nice bar and spa. The rooms don't reflect the rest of the hotel at all, too bad. If you are used to two or three star hotels you will be okay about it.

Stayed April 2014
Yeovil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed here over the New Year period and I loved the hotel, we have friends that have moved to the USA and they have settled in Portland so that's why we went otherwise I guess Brits wouldn't usually venture this far up the east coast.

The hotel was super clean, super friendly staff, the BEST bed and bedding we have ever encountered outside our own home and the food is really great.

If anyone goes to Portland you have to stay here, its the best place we have stayed in the USA.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 401 and had a lovely little terrace outside the room, was really sweet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Clinton, Maine, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We spent a relaxing two days in Portland Maine at the Regency Hotel. The Food was outstanding. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The layout of the room was very practical and tastefully decorated.

Room Tip: A room with a Balcony was nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Salem, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

This was a very nice, well appointed Hotel in a perfect location for enjoying the city of Portland. The room was a decent size (we had a King room in the very front of the Hotel on the top floor, overlooking the valet loop near the front entrance) but was quiet and set apart from the rest of the rooms, which was nice for our get-away. Free wi-fi was appreciated, and the spa was incredible. That was our favorite part of this stay, to be honest - one of the best spas we have encountered while traveling.

I would certainly return to this Hotel the next time I visit Portland. I did not get to interact much with the staff, but found they were polite and efficient.

Room Tip: We loved our room in the front on the top floor. Not the best view but quiet, private and comfortabl...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Camden, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

A lovely breakfast room and breakfast service distinguishes this hotel. My husband was thinking of our breakfast there some years ago when he reserved a room for me in late February as I was returning late from Boston. Breakfast was indeed lovely, in a large room with tall windows, sound-absorbing drapes, calming colors, and an interesting menu. Coffee was hot and delicious and the server kept it coming—my bill was around $20 for a complex breakfast burrito, fresh orange juice, coffee. My little table looked out over the semi-circular entry/portico. Looking out the window and reading my iPad (free internet!) allowed me to half-escape the loud conversation of a local lawyer and her apparent clients….the only jarring note.

Room (#227) on the ground level was perfectly comfortable for the basic charge of $149 plus tax of $11.92 or $160.92—via Priceline’s “Bookings.com”. Its window overlooked a parking lot, but had an easy chair for reading by daylight, two queen-sized beds, flat TV, nice sheets, huge pillows. One caveat on #227: the washbasin water pressure was extremely low—barely enough to rinse my toothbrush. I didn’t try the shower or bath, took my hint from the sink, reported it to the front desk when I left. Note that if the signs pointing to the room numbers were more prominent, I might not have dragged my bag 3/4 of the way around the rectangular hallway, but simply turned left at the top of the ramp….Since I did make a nearly complete circuit of this hallway, I noticed a long strip of plastic snaking out from one of the rooms—leftover from the day’s construction? Oops from the perfectionist in me…

Valet parking cost $12.00 and I was glad to pay it so as not to have to seek a parking spot on the street late at night—both the evening’s valet and the morning valet were friendly and efficient. I would return in a flash, thought it a lovely gift from my husband.

Room Tip: Ask about water pressure before accepting #227...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business